Calcutta CT-50

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
shimdailoomis
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Calcutta CT-50

Post by shimdailoomis » Thu Nov 13, 2003 7:00 pm

Alright, guys,

A little help please!! My brand new, never even seen water, Calcutta CT-50 is going crazy! I just picked it up just a few minutes ago to play with it and noticed something very weird. I'm serious, it may not have something to do with it, but I haven't even used it yet, and when I picked it up and dropped the lure to the ground, then started turning the handle, I immediately noticed the retrieve (crank) was hard to turn. I dropped it a few more times thinking that maybe the clutch just hasn't caught right, but it never corrected itself. I loosened the cast control knob - nothing changed. This is where it gets weird. I loosened the drag, and it got WORSE! Then I tightened it, and it got easier to turn! What's that all about? Does anybody have a clue as to what may be the problem, as well as maybe have a solution? Thanks for anything.

-shimanorules

Jinz000
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Calcutta CT-50

Post by Jinz000 » Thu Nov 13, 2003 8:07 pm

I have a similiar problem with the Penn 525 Mag. I'm not sure if you call it a problem. When I adjust the drags and trying cranking it, it'll turn but the not the spool. As I tighten up the drags, I was able to retrieve easily. I don't know maybe thats how some companies make em???? Its NORMAL!

Also theres a spool control(NOT the Magnets) depending on how I change it im able to control the speed, if i tigten it, the spool will not turn a bit while retrieveing but i can still turn the knob, i'll have to loosen it to be able to retrieve. But thats NORMAL though!!

A weird thing that I find unusual is when I switch it from freespool to retrieve, the reel will still give up line even when on retrieve unless I turn the knob a little and it'll shift gears into retrieve, then finally I can take out the slack.

I don't find this with any other reels. ONly with this Penn reel.

Just curious where did you purchase the Calcutta CT-50 at?
Last edited by Jinz000 on Thu Nov 13, 2003 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shimdailoomis
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by shimdailoomis » Thu Nov 13, 2003 8:22 pm

No, trust me, there's a problem. I know what you're talking about. When the drag is loosened all the way, there's not enought tension to make the spool turn. Then when you tighten it, it catches and starts turning. That's not what mine is doing, though. I started cranking the handle, and it was immediately noticeably hard to turn (like there was a heavy weight tied on). When I loosened the drag, it (the handle) got harder to turn. That doesn't make any sense. The drag never effects the ease of handle turning, only line pay-out or opposite spool direction spin. then when I tightened the drag, the handle turned easier! There is something hindering the gears or something from turning correctly. I know it has to do with the gears because I took the whole right side of the reel off from the rest (frame and left side) and it was still doing it. I sprayed some reel magic to see if it would free up anything, but it didn't help. Tomorrow I may take the reel back and get my money back if I can't fix it. Anyway, maybe that better clarified what is going on. Now what do you think is wrong? Thanks.

-shimanorules

Jinz000
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jinz000 » Thu Nov 13, 2003 8:42 pm

OOOKay, I get it now, in that case seems like theres a problem!
I would oil and lube all the bearings, even the ones in the handle but I know that won't fix it.

Definately take it back, maybe you can exchange it.

How much did you pay for it?

shimdailoomis
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by shimdailoomis » Thu Nov 13, 2003 9:42 pm

Jinz000,

I purchased the reel at the local outdoor shop called American Outdoors - locally owned. I paid $169 + tax. I geuss I could clean and oil the bearings just to try it, but I just did that the other day. I cleaned/degreased the bearings with Ronsonol, then applied one drop of Rocket Fuel oil. I'm probably going to take it back, though, instead of fooling with it. Thanks for the help anyway, guys.

-shimanorules (even if I did buy a dud #-o ) - - - nobody's perfect [-X

bitesize
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bitesize » Thu Nov 13, 2003 11:41 pm

Hey, where are you located?
I have seen others in really really cold
places, the oil/grease freezes on the gears
and see the same thing you are seeing.
if the reel has been sitting in the car outside
and it's really cold, bring it in for a while
and give it some TLC. :wink:
if that won't help, I'd bring it back to the store
ASAP!

shimdailoomis
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by shimdailoomis » Fri Nov 14, 2003 8:26 am

Bitesize,

I live in Albany, GA. Here it does get pretty cold, but man, I baby my fishing gear. The reel has been inside ever since I bought it, I never leave it outside. Also, I have one of those Bass Pro Shops velcro covers over it. So, it's been in a clean, dry, room temperature climate. I can see how maybe the grease and oil would freeze up had I had it outside because the temp. has been in the low 40's, high 30's for the past week. Anyway, I'm taking it back as soon as I get out of class.

-shimanorules

shimdailoomis
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by shimdailoomis » Fri Nov 14, 2003 3:34 pm

Hey,

I found out what happened to my reel. When I took it to American Outdoors, the guy took it apart and noticed immediately that I used some Quantum Hot Sauce grease on the gear teeth. He said that that was my problem. He told me that he's had bad experiences with Hot Sauce grease because it gets gummy after sitting there for a while. He took it to the back and soaked the reel in brake cleaner to remove all the Hot Sauce (hope that didn't hurt anything - I assumed he knew what he was doing), then reapplied oil to everything and it freed up the handle a good bit. I'm still going to send the reel back to Shimano to get them to fix it. They won't charge anything, right?

-shimanorules

bitesize
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bitesize » Fri Nov 14, 2003 5:08 pm

Did you put too much hot sauce or what?
If you put too much, it's not good.

shimdailoomis
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by shimdailoomis » Fri Nov 14, 2003 10:33 pm

I don't think so. I just put some on the teeth where the gears mesh together. I sure won't do that again, at least not with any Hot Sauce.

-shimanorules

Jinz000
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jinz000 » Sat Nov 15, 2003 10:08 am

Hmm, if you were to put a drop of the TG's red rocket fuel on the gear teeth, I don't think it will cause any problems especially the ones you had.
Kinda strange.

Anyhow its under warranty, I just wouldn't tell them that I put the hotsauce where it wasn't suppose to be. Just make it sound like a manfactuter defect. :)

shimdailoomis
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by shimdailoomis » Sat Nov 15, 2003 10:26 am

Again, I'm just going by what the guy at American Outdoors told me. He said he's seen instances where the Hot Sauce grease has "frozen" up. To my own knowledge, there really could be a manufacturer defect as you said, but the guy was probably right considering there was no problem before I applied the grease. It stinks, too because I just ordered an ABEC-7 bearing (3x7x3) for the cast cap to replace the stock bushing, but now I have to send the reel off :roll: ! Oh well. By the way, I just bought a Shimano Calyx 100A, for spinnerbaits and maybe light saltwater and just to have another reel. Has anyone used this reel before? How is it? Any comments? I'm thinking about taking it back, it's just not as smooth and accurate as I like. I know it's not a Calcutta, but it costed so much less. Thanks.

-shimanorules

conniek
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by conniek » Sun Nov 16, 2003 2:43 pm

shamano rules- If I were you, I would sure let quantum know about the hot sauce. This definitely isn't good news. I know the companies want the feed back in order to correct problem. If I were you also, I would stick to the tried and true Rocket oil and you might want to try Super Lube. It is teflon based and will not freeze or melt. I buy mine from Southwestern Parts in Dallas. These products have never failed me and I've done quite a few reels. Hope this info helps and I'm sure sorry about problems. Shimano has great service and they'll get you all fixed up. conniek

Jinz000
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jinz000 » Sun Nov 16, 2003 3:30 pm

The calyx is kinda heavy, though its smooth, the thumbar is a little tight and adjusting the brakes is a little awkward.

The thing I like about this reel, its difficult to get a backlash even when throwing into the wind. Throwing spinners, buzzers is no problem.

shimdailoomis
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by shimdailoomis » Sun Nov 16, 2003 3:52 pm

Thanks for the help Connie and Jinz000.

Jinz, I agree on the Calyx, but I changed the left side plate bearing with a left over, brand new bearing out of a Calcutta and in all honesty, it casted a little smoother. I guess because the stock Calcutta bearing is of higher quality and tighter tolerance. However, I noticed that again Shimano went with what I guess to be the cheaper route when setting up the reel. There is a bearing in the left side plate, one on the spool (which I hate because you have to change the whole spool assembly to upgrade that bearing), then some junk under the cast control cap which, in my opinion only degrades performance and hinders smoothness and castability. I was wondering if you or anyone else knows whether or not this "junk" (can't remember exactly what - bushing type setup) can be replaced/upgraded with a bearing? Jinz, do you own a Calyx? Thanks for any and all help/advice.

-shimanorules