Steez 103 HA & SHA level wind guide clicking

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
5poundhooker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Steez 103 HA & SHA level wind guide clicking

Post by 5poundhooker » Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:07 pm

I can't seem to find the problem with both my Steez 103's, they both started doing the same thing within weeks of each other. I have replaced the worm gear, bearing collar and pawl on the worst of the 2 and it was fine for about an hour and then started clicking again and you can feel it. It is driving me mad that I can't figure it out. There is not any noticeable damage anywhere. I am stumped! ](*,) Can someone please help.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Steez 103 HA & SHA level wind guide clicking

Post by Teal101 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:42 am

5poundhooker wrote:I can't seem to find the problem with both my Steez 103's, they both started doing the same thing within weeks of each other. I have replaced the worm gear, bearing collar and pawl on the worst of the 2 and it was fine for about an hour and then started clicking again and you can feel it. It is driving me mad that I can't figure it out. There is not any noticeable damage anywhere. I am stumped! ](*,) Can someone please help.
My 100HLA actually binds up. I too have replaced the worm gear and pawl to no avail. Next step is replacing the line guide assembly. Not sure if it will fix it, but it's worth a shot.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:45 am

id send it to Ian so he can diagnose the problem correctly.... wasting $$ on parts and trying to fix the problem that you aren't sure of.

Good351
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Good351 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:36 am

I just installed 7:1 gears into a Personal Order TDZ and found that there was a slight tick tick when turning the handle..and always in the same location. Might be what you guys are having issues with too..

What I found: When Daiwa makes the A/R Ratchet they are punching them out from a large sheet.. This is leaving a slight edge on the piece which is then catching on the worm shaft gear teeth. I took a small fine file to the flat sided edge and cleaned it up. Re-installed and all was smooth again.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:57 am

cndbasshunter wrote:id send it to Ian so he can diagnose the problem correctly.... wasting $$ on parts and trying to fix the problem that you aren't sure of.
I 2nd this. I had a Steez last season that was noticibly not as smooth as my other ones. Ian diagnosed the problem, replaced the parts, and supertuned it. It's now smoother and casts better than all the other ones I own.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:35 am

cndbasshunter wrote:id send it to Ian so he can diagnose the problem correctly.... wasting $$ on parts and trying to fix the problem that you aren't sure of.
If I cant figure it out by winter it will be going there, just cant afford to not have it in my lineup right now. It's going to be getting a new line guide anyway, need the purple EX one to go with a purple hedgehog upgrade :mrgreen:

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:37 am

Good351 wrote:I just installed 7:1 gears into a Personal Order TDZ and found that there was a slight tick tick when turning the handle..and always in the same location. Might be what you guys are having issues with too..

What I found: When Daiwa makes the A/R Ratchet they are punching them out from a large sheet.. This is leaving a slight edge on the piece which is then catching on the worm shaft gear teeth. I took a small fine file to the flat sided edge and cleaned it up. Re-installed and all was smooth again.
I have 7:1 gears in my Steez 100HLA and my TD-Ito 103HL and I dont have a tick. The gears in the Steez wont always engage 100% when I slowly click the handle over. If I click it over in a normal manner it engages fine. The line guide issue was present before the gear swap as well. I'll look at the A/R Ratchet when I open it up next. Thanks for the suggestion.

5poundhooker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 5poundhooker » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:33 pm

Thanks guys I will look at the A/R ratchet, if that fails I will send them both to Ian.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:37 pm

Teal101 wrote:
If I cant figure it out by winter it will be going there, just cant afford to not have it in my lineup right now. It's going to be getting a new line guide anyway, need the purple EX one to go with a purple hedgehog upgrade :mrgreen:
good choice.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:41 am

cndbasshunter wrote:
Teal101 wrote:
good choice.

Very nice. I plan on a carbon handle and corks for mine. I like that EX handle though, and the black MB knobs are sleek. Is that "Royal Purple" or "Deep Purple" for the cast control cap?

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:23 am

deep purple

5poundhooker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 5poundhooker » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:09 am

Thanks Good351 you were right on the money, I just filed it smooth and polished the edges on both reels and they feel like a Steez should once again. :big grin:

Good351
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Good351 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:24 am

Awesome! I'm glad it worked out well for ya!!

e_bassfisher
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by e_bassfisher » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:47 am

Teal101 wrote:
Good351 wrote:I just installed 7:1 gears into a Personal Order TDZ and found that there was a slight tick tick when turning the handle..and always in the same location. Might be what you guys are having issues with too..

I have 7:1 gears in my Steez 100HLA and my TD-Ito 103HL and I dont have a tick. The gears in the Steez wont always engage 100% when I slowly click the handle over. If I click it over in a normal manner it engages fine. The line guide issue was present before the gear swap as well. I'll look at the A/R Ratchet when I open it up next. Thanks for the suggestion.
check the spool pin first. if there is deformation to it(usually caused by a spool pin remover), it can cause the slots in the pinion gear to briefly hang up on the pin before engaging the pinion gear to the spool.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:32 am

e_bassfisher wrote:
Teal101 wrote:

check the spool pin first. if there is deformation to it(usually caused by a spool pin remover), it can cause the slots in the pinion gear to briefly hang up on the pin before engaging the pinion gear to the spool.
Thanks Ian I'll give it a look over. I have a feeling this Steez will be making it's way to you once we ice over.