Daiwa Sol 6.8:1 gearing conversion question

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
wiscobassin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Daiwa Sol 6.8:1 gearing conversion question

Post by wiscobassin » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:38 am

I purchased a project Sol off the board last week and it has 6.8:1 gears. Im curious about the levelwind worm gear. Do I need to match the gear set with a levelwind from a 6.8:1 or am I over thinking things.

I purchased the reel from tredwellpat who was amesome to work with and was quick to ship and answer any questions I had. Below is the current progress. I am at the point of flipping a coin to decide the direction im going to take the project.
RawSol.jpg
RawSol.jpg (38.42 KiB) Viewed 6291 times

igl00jx
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Daiwa Sol 6.8:1 gearing conversion question

Post by igl00jx » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:21 am

The faster worm gear will prevent your line from bunching up on one side of the spool

wiscobassin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by wiscobassin » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:53 am

igl00jx wrote:The faster worm gear will prevent your line from bunching up on one side of the spool
Thank you for the response! Ill order the worm for the PXL-R.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:11 pm

Not really necessary unless you use braid on the reel-it will prevent "digging in". But when has "necessary" ever been the determining factor on a reel modification? O:) You may as well add the levelwind bearing also if the reel doesn't have that mod done already. 8-) I'm anxious to see the completed project. =D>

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:22 pm

Looks like a fun project!

The Tackle Trap has the high speed PXR worm shaft assembly, the 6.8:1 gears, and the worm drive bearing upgrade all in stock!

http://tackletrap.com/index.php?main_pa ... 98_660_731

http://tackletrap.com/index.php?main_pa ... 98_660_656

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:51 am

bronzefly wrote:Looks like a fun project!

The Tackle Trap has the high speed PXR worm shaft assembly, the 6.8:1 gears, and the worm drive bearing upgrade all in stock!

http://tackletrap.com/index.php?main_pa ... 98_660_731

http://tackletrap.com/index.php?main_pa ... 98_660_656
Brian at Tackle Trap did all 3 of my Sols with both, also added clicking drag and Px handle. Allsome conversions. I get all my Daiwa parts at TT, service and advice great, thanks Gary & Brian.

wiscobassin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by wiscobassin » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:41 am

They guys over at tackle trap have answered quite a few questions for me recently, their response time has been super fast. I have yet to decide but I think im doing to do this one on a budget (I wrapped up $600 in the last one I did :oops: ) ill keep updating the thread with progress pics once I have them.

Thanks for all the input guys!

Good351
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Good351 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:14 pm

wiscobassin wrote: (I wrapped up $600 in the last one I did :oops: ) ill keep updating the thread with progress pics once I have them.

LOL!! $600?!? It is easy to do! I have a Sol frame and some internals.. I spent a few hours writing down all parts and part numbers I needed to make a it complete again.. Called Daiwa and read it all off.. Came to over 300! I did not go through with it..ended up buying a mint Sol with an additional gold IZE spool for like 200.

Good luck with your project! Keep us updated!

WoodT
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by WoodT » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:55 pm

I hadn't realized a different worm drive was needed. I've done the pinion/main gear conversion on my Sol...haven't noticed any loading issues? It's been awhile, maybe I have just forgotten, but I don't think I did.

wiscobassin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by wiscobassin » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:25 pm

Good351 wrote:
wiscobassin wrote: (I wrapped up $600 in the last one I did :oops: ) ill keep updating the thread with progress pics once I have them.

LOL!! $600?!? It is easy to do! I have a Sol frame and some internals.. I spent a few hours writing down all parts and part numbers I needed to make a it complete again.. Called Daiwa and read it all off.. Came to over 300! I did not go through with it..ended up buying a mint Sol with an additional gold IZE spool for like 200.

Good luck with your project! Keep us updated!
yeah it got out of hand in a hurry. It had a presso spool, drag star, and CC cap. I machined frame spacers so the spool would fit, bondoed the porting in the frame and front plate then sent it to Calfish for a satin white and black paint job. I looked for pictures but it must have been pre tt crash. I’m going to try to get my hands on a red IZE spool for this one then that’s probably about it.

Good351
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Good351 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:32 am

Oh, was that the Sol that Jerry had? I remember he had one, sounds very similar..

Good luck with IZE spool.. Those are tough to find..

I have 2 Sol's now, both basically stock. I was going to do the works on them (swept handle, drag star, click conversion, gears and pixy spools) but have been holding off thinking I'll just use them stock as top water moving bait reels. We'll see.

wiscobassin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by wiscobassin » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:26 am

Good351 wrote:Oh, was that the Sol that Jerry had? I remember he had one, sounds very similar..

Good luck with IZE spool.. Those are tough to find..

I have 2 Sol's now, both basically stock. I was going to do the works on them (swept handle, drag star, click conversion, gears and pixy spools) but have been holding off thinking I'll just use them stock as top water moving bait reels. We'll see.
You are correct I sold it to jerry to fund the next project.

For whatever reason I just can't get away from the Sol/Alphas platform. I am looking to pick up one more to leave stock.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:30 am

The guys at the TT are super helpful. I've got two TD-Z 7:1 conversion from them now. All parts included for the swap, quick easy drop in mod. Cant wait to get my new 7:1 gears in my TD-Ito :mrgreen: Thanks Gary!

Good351
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Good351 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:42 am

Teal101 wrote:The guys at the TT are super helpful. I've got two TD-Z 7:1 conversion from them now. All parts included for the swap, quick easy drop in mod. Cant wait to get my new 7:1 gears in my TD-Ito :mrgreen: Thanks Gary!
Dead on there Teal101! Gary is a wealth of knowledge and super nice!

The packages that they put together for the gear swaps is a great service!!! You order one item to get 7:1 in your TDZ or 6.8 in your Sol/Alphas..super nice not to have to fumble through part numbers looking for the right combination to get the job done in one shot.

I have a 7:1 TDZ personal order now :big grin: And 6.8 gears waiting for the swap in a yellow Pixy :big grin:

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:23 am

WoodT wrote:I hadn't realized a different worm drive was needed. I've done the pinion/main gear conversion on my Sol...haven't noticed any loading issues? It's been awhile, maybe I have just forgotten, but I don't think I did.
Not really necessary, but I noticed that it did improve line lay with 20# braid on my R-Edition. I only noticed after I got hung up once and then went stripping line off, looking for where it dug in. But there was no spot anywhere on the spool that the line had bound on itself. I figured it had to have been the high-speed worm gear, since it had done that every time I got hung up with the 6.8 gears installed, but before the levelwind conversion. The reel's casting behavior didn't change at all that I noticed.