ZPI inertia handle

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
jtesch
Angler
Angler

ZPI inertia handle

Post by jtesch » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:28 pm

I bought a like new ZPI inertia handle on the bay a month ago and put it on a tuned up Luna to use as my big swimbait reel. Looked and felt great and I only paid $65 so I was pretty happy. Got home from work today and saw chunks of foam rubber on the floor and our 1 year old Lab slinking around like he knew he was in trouble. Yup, he chewed the all the foam off the handles. Now to my real point. When I took the knobs off to temp something else on the handle I find all plastic bushings! For $150 new how in the world can ZPI not use bearings? To me that is absurd.

facelessnewsouth
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: ZPI inertia handle

Post by facelessnewsouth » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:48 am

ZPI does use bearings. Your ebay seller, however, may have kept them.

fishingandfords
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by fishingandfords » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:02 am

Ebay is shady

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:04 pm

fishingandfords wrote:Ebay is shady
That's why I have done zero business there in over 3 years and will never again at any point in the future. You guys are way more trustworthy. ;)

jtesch63
Angler
Angler

Post by jtesch63 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:59 pm

I thought of that right after I made the post. My apologies to ZPI, I should have known better as every ZPI product I've used has been first rate. To my Ebay seller, Bight me. First time I've been burned on Ebay though I have to say.

mattfish11
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by mattfish11 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:09 am

jtesch63 wrote:I thought of that right after I made the post. My apologies to ZPI, I should have known better as every ZPI product I've used has been first rate. To my Ebay seller, Bight me. First time I've been burned on Ebay though I have to say.
You only paid $65... Did he state that it came with bearings?

Aaronb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Aaronb » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:35 pm

For only 65 dollars I'd say you still got a good deal. I guess if the listing didn't say it had bearings the seller wasn't dishonest. I've never had an issue buying fishing related items on eBay. I've actually lucked out and a couple times, at least in my opinion, got a great deal on there. On the non fishing related things I've had issues with eBay has gotten my money back. I can't complain. Hopefully you weren't too attached to those knobs. Enjoy picking out the new custom knobs.

jtesch63
Angler
Angler

Post by jtesch63 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:59 am

I believe the listing said "like new ZPI inertia handle" which it was and even without the bearings was a good deal until my dog ate the knobs which are $50 bucks each to replace. I just saw the Revo Toro NACL and the knobs are vary similar, wonder if they would fit.

Aaronb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Aaronb » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:13 am

The dog probably was just wanting to show you there were bushings and not bearings. Lol

I think that they have to be daiwa or shimano knobs to fit. Abu has a larger shaft. I'm not sure if you could get a custom bearing size to get it to work. Hopefully someone can answer that for sure. Good luck.

facelessnewsouth
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by facelessnewsouth » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:24 am

Aaronb wrote:The dog probably was just wanting to show you there were bushings and not bearings. Lol

I think that they have to be daiwa or shimano knobs to fit. Abu has a larger shaft. I'm not sure if you could get a custom bearing size to get it to work. Hopefully someone can answer that for sure. Good luck.
I'm not sure, but I think abu shafts are longer, so I don't think abu knobs would fit properly.

runmax08
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by runmax08 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:47 pm

Did you notice an overall improvement in performance using the ZPI inertia handle. If so then what areas?

fishingandfords
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by fishingandfords » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:51 pm

runmax08 wrote:Did you notice an overall improvement in performance using the ZPI inertia handle. If so then what areas?
Not really going to get huge gains. Cut s little weight , add a few bearings will make things smooth but overall performance is subjective. But a nice CF swept handle really changes the look of a reel

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:49 pm

jtesch63 wrote:I believe the listing said "like new ZPI inertia handle" which it was and even without the bearings was a good deal until my dog ate the knobs which are $50 bucks each to replace. I just saw the Revo Toro NACL and the knobs are vary similar, wonder if they would fit.
These are some similar knobs. Little cheaper alternative.
http://www.jiggingworld.com/29mm-votex- ... reels-s-2/
http://www.jiggingworld.com/23mm-votex- ... reels-s-1/