IS 73 trouble

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
Dragboatdriver
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

IS 73 trouble

Post by Dragboatdriver » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:18 am

I have an IS 73 that I keep on my bearing down. I always have a 3/8 texas rig tied on it. The past couple days when I have walked out to my rod rack i noticed that the bait had came out of the hook keeper and had dropped about 5 inches. I didnt think much of it and wound it back up to the keeper. I came back a few hours later and the same thing had happened. I checked the drag and it is nearly locked down! So today I put a piece of tape on the spool to mark where it was and walked away. I came back a few hours later and the bait had dropped a few inches and the spool had clearly moved. So my question is... How the heck is the bait dropping down at roughly an inch per hour with the drag locked down!?!?!? You can't physically pull the line off the reel without it digging in to the spool and it barely will turn... it is locked down! I am at a loss with it at this point. Anyone ever heard of anything like this?

i have owned this reel for a couple months now and it just started doing this. I know it sounds crazy, but this is actually happening.

Thanks in advance!

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: IS 73 trouble

Post by Jeffbro999 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:23 am

Interested in replies to this as I have a STX and Premier gen 3 that do this all the time. No where near the quality of the IS but the same thing happens :-k hope someone has some ideas.

e_bassfisher
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by e_bassfisher » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:24 am

Sent u a pm dbd

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Afrayedknot » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:29 am

I have had this happen in the past with some reels and I have no idea why it does this, but it is not harmful to the reel and probably doesn't mean it is broken. I am guessing that the drag just barely slips very slowly and eventually the bait/lure/x
falls down mm by mm until it comes off the hook keeper or whatever. I don't know what else it could be. You said that it just started doing this, and I am guessing that this is due to the cold (if it is cold where you are) or due to the drag washer being slightly worn compared to before.

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Afrayedknot » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:31 am

Does it have braid on it?

Maybe the braid is just tightening on the spool or digging in slightly.. I can't remember what line I had on the spool when this same thing happened to me. It could have been a lew's reel with braid but I just can't remember.

EDIT: When I get some time, I will conduct a test to see exactly how this happens... Give me a few days as I am pretty busy lately. I will post it here.
Last edited by Afrayedknot on Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dragboatdriver
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Dragboatdriver » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:36 am

No braid on this reel. The best i can figure is it is just slipping very slowly, like you said. It's not bothering me too bad as far as fishability, as it still holds plenty of drag pressure. However, it is very interesting and I would like to know why it's doing it!

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Afrayedknot » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:55 am

Dragboatdriver wrote:No braid on this reel. The best i can figure is it is just slipping very slowly, like you said. It's not bothering me too bad as far as fishability, as it still holds plenty of drag pressure. However, it is very interesting and I would like to know why it's doing it!
Try backing the drag off to about half the pressure it was before and see if it falls twice as far. I am guessing the drag washers are just broken in and are smoother so the metal washer can't grip it as well.

bstuckey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bstuckey » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:04 am

Is it possible that someone's just messing with you? I have a neighbor who put a couple of drops of oil under another neighbors Harley when he parked it in his driveway. Drove him nuts looking for the leak until the neighbor told him. :big grin:

Tavery5
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tavery5 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:18 am

could it be the anti-reverse bearing slipping. See if the handle is moving as well, if the handle is in a different position I believe it would indicate that the anti-reverse bearing is failing.

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:00 am

I wouldn't say the anti reverse is failing but if it has maybe too much lube on it and under the constant tension of the weight of the rig and maybe the handle it could slowly back reel . But you would not be able to pick it normally cause when looking for back play in the handle the quick movements keep the bearing working.

Tavery5
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tavery5 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:18 am

BARRAMANIAC wrote:I wouldn't say the anti reverse is failing but if it has maybe too much lube on it and under the constant tension of the weight of the rig and maybe the handle it could slowly back reel . But you would not be able to pick it normally cause when looking for back play in the handle the quick movements keep the bearing working.
Failing is probaby too strong of a word, but this is my thoughts also. Should be able to verify this if the handle is also moving.

Dragboatdriver
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Dragboatdriver » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:53 am

Just went and checked the reel. Sure enough... the handle IS turning! So I guess I need to pick up a new anti-reverse bearing.

Tavery5
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tavery5 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:43 am

Dragboatdriver wrote:Just went and checked the reel. Sure enough... the handle IS turning! So I guess I need to pick up a new anti-reverse bearing.
I would start with just cleaning the inner tube, keep it fairly dry, sounds like it may be slightly over lubricated.

Dragboatdriver
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Dragboatdriver » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:54 am

I just think it's odd that it randomly started doing this. I haven't had the reel apart for service or anything. I will try cleaning the inner tube and see what it does. Thanks for the help!

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:34 pm

I'm betting that you have the reel in a cold to very cold place, right? Grease in an anti-reverse bearing will make it slip when it is cold. Too much oil will do the same. Time to flush out that bearing and lube it very lightly with oil only. I only do 2 drops directly into the A/R bearing(on opposite sides), spin the sleeve inside it for a little bit, then add one more drop of oil after I remove the sleeve. Then swab inside the A/R bearing to remove any excess oil, being careful to rotate in the direction that the rollers actually rotate. Works very well for me.
Last edited by hoohoorjoo on Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:18 am, edited 2 times in total.