Supertuning reels

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
justafisherman
Angler
Angler

Supertuning reels

Post by justafisherman » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:46 am

Does it really make a big difference on the all around performance adding the upgrades? If i was to do it, how hard is it to do yourself? Or is it easier to pay to have it done?

Nitroman77
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Supertuning reels

Post by Nitroman77 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:02 am

depends on the reels..
Shimanos you can drop in the bearings, daiwas and Revos/Lews you will need spool pin pliers to pop the pin off the spool shaft
Drag and bearing upgrades are the best bang for the $$$ upgrades you can do to a reel..

Zimbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Zimbass » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:09 am

Super tuning really does work, and also gives your reel longevity.

I always tell people to have it done by a pro the first time round, and if they are impressed they can teach themselves. Many good people on this forum that will help you, if you do get stuck, plus there is Youtube .

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:20 am

Super tuning does make a difference. In the case of bearing upgrades, a very notable one IMO.

With the proper tools and knowledge, it's not too difficult. Personally I'd rather have it done by one of the TT members that provides the service. They buy the proper bearing sizes, drag parts, do a complete clean and re-lube, check for any worn parts, and ensure the reel functions like new. If there is an issue with the reel, they stand behind it 100%. I find it worth the expense for that peace of mind.

muskyhunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by muskyhunter » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:10 am

I do it all myself, lots of great videos on youtube.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:15 am

Supertuning means different things too different people. I can do everything but polish the internals by myself but I don't consider a reel supertuned unless the internals are polished. Changing the bearings, drag, adding bearings, etc all make a big difference. A reel that has been polished by a pro is at a different level all together.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:04 am

supertuning is what i enjoy in the winter season....

brownhl
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by brownhl » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:25 pm

Take a look at this and decide if you want to do it yourself.
http://jdntackle.home.mindspring.com/index%20page.html

stykbowslim
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by stykbowslim » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:20 pm

cndbasshunter wrote:supertuning is what i enjoy in the winter season....
X2. . . This winter I decided to clean my own reels. I was curious about tuning/super tuning, so I read a lot of great information here on TT, bought a Dremel tool and some polish, and dove right in :shock:

Last night I tuned my fourth reel... By tuning I mean; completely dismantled the reel, cleaned all parts and polish the internals i.e. pinion gear, drive shaft, drive gear, metal drag washers, clutch cam, clutch trip plate, cast control shims, ends of spool shaft, flush bearings and relubed, and relubed all components as needed. . . . . I don't recommend this everbody for everbody, but if want to play, be prepared to make a mistake -- like having a spring fly out the reel to lord knows where ](*,) or breaking a drive gear washer ](*,) ](*,)

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:53 pm

stykbowslim wrote:
cndbasshunter wrote:supertuning is what i enjoy in the winter season....
X2. . . This winter I decided to clean my own reels. I was curious about tuning/super tuning, so I read a lot of great information here on TT, bought a Dremel tool and some polish, and dove right in :shock:

Last night I tuned my fourth reel... By tuning I mean; completely dismantled the reel, cleaned all parts and polish the internals i.e. pinion gear, drive shaft, drive gear, metal drag washers, clutch cam, clutch trip plate, cast control shims, ends of spool shaft, flush bearings and relubed, and relubed all components as needed. . . . . I don't recommend this everbody for everbody, but if want to play, be prepared to make a mistake -- like having a spring fly out the reel to lord knows where ](*,) or breaking a drive gear washer ](*,) ](*,)
Hate it when a small parts fly out.... Lucky I have no carpet.

justafisherman
Angler
Angler

Post by justafisherman » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:25 pm

Does it woid the warranty? I have a few reels just past the warranty time I thought about upgrading, but don't want to do it to a newer one if it voids the warranty.

ninjaman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ninjaman » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:25 pm

justafisherman wrote:Does it woid the warranty? I have a few reels just past the warranty time I thought about upgrading, but don't want to do it to a newer one if it voids the warranty.
Yes it does. So I suggest you do it to a reel "beyond hope" for the first time. Better to make mistakes where it don't hurt, and look at it as learning rather than as potential destruction of your beloved new crown jewel.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:36 am

ninjaman wrote:
justafisherman wrote:Does it woid the warranty? I have a few reels just past the warranty time I thought about upgrading, but don't want to do it to a newer one if it voids the warranty.
Yes it does. So I suggest you do it to a reel "beyond hope" for the first time. Better to make mistakes where it don't hurt, and look at it as learning rather than as potential destruction of your beloved new crown jewel.
Good point. The first reel I disassembled and put back together was a old TDX that I was not using anymore. It gave me the confidence to do some of my older reels. The more reels you work on the easier it gets. I always have the schematic on hand and a well lit work area. I lay the parts out in order as they come off and take a picture of this so I can look at it should I have any question about which way the part gets installed. If you are not comfortable or don't have the time, send them to ebassfisher as he is the best tuner I know.