Semperfi handles?

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
tman
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Semperfi handles?

Post by tman » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:13 am

I almost bought one of their handle kits 90 and 95 for my core and Metanium respectively. Are these any good? And are the shafts and screw that hold the posts on the handle good corrosion resistant stainless metal? or are they cheap?

Also do they readily accept stock Shimano bearings and grips? And do they look pimp once on? Anyone got pics feel free to share.

I was ready to pull the trigger, but I just got a little bit of a shady vibe from the company's emails, and the price is so low it makes me wonder if they're high quality :-k

fishingandfords
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Semperfi handles?

Post by fishingandfords » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:26 am

I have a 4th coming and so far his products are all top notch for the price. He has a bunch of my reels on his home page

fishingandfords
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by fishingandfords » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:29 am

I have my first straight 90mm coming this week but here are the swept handles he made me

Crackerjack
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Crackerjack » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:25 pm

FishingandFords .....Since you have both the Hawgtech and the Semper Fi whats your opinion.

fishingandfords
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by fishingandfords » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:34 pm

Crackerjack wrote:FishingandFords .....Since you have both the Hawgtech and the Semper Fi whats your opinion.
That unless hag tech slimmed there handles down I know where my money will go , the prices are about even and the semper fi handles look way better and they use the nut/retainer and you can pic what color you want . I didn't like the 1 piece retainer that comes on the hang tech and that's why I got rid of it. I have a straight 90 mm handle coming from semper so ill see how I like it compared to the swept handles and the other CF handle I have . Another problem with hang tech handles are there actually weight more then the stock handle which is dumb

Crackerjack
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Crackerjack » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:56 am

I agree the nut retainer is the issue. The handle width is needed use that retainer. It would have been better to use a Shimano nut retainer (Core) / Plastic Nut cap retainer (Most Shimano) setups. Neither is a large space eater. Drill and thread for using the Shimano screws. IMO this would be a much better selling point and a manufactoring cost savings. The nut recess wouldn't need to be as deep. I am using combination of either the Semper Fi nuts or Calcutta Acorn nuts with a small o ring to prevent nut from backing off. O Rings I used are from my Senko Wacky rig stash. :-$

I may actually sit down and rework the Hawgtech to use the Shimano Factory stuff. I will fill the screw hole with epoxy and sanddown sides to slim down width. Redrill and thread for using the Shimano stuff. :-$

lpquick
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by lpquick » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:03 pm

I have two 85mm handles with knobs from Semper Fi.
The Semper Fi are really nice considering their cost, compare wit lets say Livre 85mm ultra light handle & knobs.
DSC_1094.JPG

fishingandfords
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by fishingandfords » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:10 pm

Crackerjack wrote:I agree the nut retainer is the issue. The handle width is needed use that retainer. It would have been better to use a Shimano nut retainer (Core) / Plastic Nut cap retainer (Most Shimano) setups. Neither is a large space eater. Drill and thread for using the Shimano screws. IMO this would be a much better selling point and a manufactoring cost savings. The nut recess wouldn't need to be as deep. I am using combination of either the Semper Fi nuts or Calcutta Acorn nuts with a small o ring to prevent nut from backing off. O Rings I used are from my Senko Wacky rig stash. :-$

I may actually sit down and rework the Hawgtech to use the Shimano Factory stuff. I will fill the screw hole with epoxy and sanddown sides to slim down width. Redrill and thread for using the Shimano stuff. :-$

Hawgtech said he would look into a carbon fiber retainer but I hope no one used the crappy plastic retainer that comes on most shimano reels. I just spend some time removing all of them from my reel collection

BRbasser
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BRbasser » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:04 am

lpquick wrote:I have two 85mm handles with knobs from Semper Fi.
The Semper Fi are really nice considering their cost, compare wit lets say Livre 85mm ultra light handle & knobs.
DSC_1094.JPG

Holy crap those are gorgeous pieces of art.

Lucky1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Lucky1 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:50 am

I am waiting on a shipment of Semper Fi handles and parts to get finished. I should have 10 or 12 new Shimano 88mm swept handles along with some different colored retainers and nuts if anyone wants to purchse some. Sounds like the handles should be done in about a week and a half. G

BRbasser
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BRbasser » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:58 am

Does anyone know if there are carbon handles that will fit a Calcutta 100 DC? I tried the standard ZPI for shimano and the Hawgtech for Shimano and there seems to be a clearance problem with the drag star on the DC reel. Is there are workaround for this?

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:23 am

you need some thin washers, it should give you the needed clearance.
BRbasser wrote:Does anyone know if there are carbon handles that will fit a Calcutta 100 DC? I tried the standard ZPI for shimano and the Hawgtech for Shimano and there seems to be a clearance problem with the drag star on the DC reel. Is there are workaround for this?

fishingandfords
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by fishingandfords » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:51 am

cndbasshunter wrote:you need some thin washers, it should give you the needed clearance.
BRbasser wrote:Does anyone know if there are carbon handles that will fit a Calcutta 100 DC? I tried the standard ZPI for shimano and the Hawgtech for Shimano and there seems to be a clearance problem with the drag star on the DC reel. Is there are workaround for this?
I think the ZPI kits come with 2

Crackerjack
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Crackerjack » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:27 pm

The original Curado 100 B's have a thin metal washer as a spacer. It has the oblong hole to fit correctly.

Semperfi Tackle
Angler
Angler

Post by Semperfi Tackle » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:16 pm

This solve your problem if others can't.