Steez HLC spool

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Steez HLC spool

Post by njbasscat » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:31 am

I just purchased a Steez HLC spool for a Steez 103. I am using the reel for jerkbaits, mostly 110's, Pointer 100's, and Xraps. Will the HLC spool cast jerkbaits better than the stock Steez 103 spool? As many know the stock Steez 103 spool can be tough to dail in when windy and makes a better pitching spool vs casting spool. I was hoping the HLC spool will be easier to dail in and more consistent. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Steez HLC spool

Post by njbasscat » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:18 am

Just received the spool and tried it out in the back yard. It definitely works as advertised. It was horrible under 1/2 oz., but at over 1/2 oz and especially at 3/4 oz it is excellent. It was in my Steez 103 that I use for jerkbaits and did not work well. It found a home in my TDZ that I use for spinnerbaits and chatterbaits.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:17 pm

It's one of those spools where I don't easily notice an actual on the water performance difference between it and a stock Steez 100HA/SHA spool. I could cast the two side by side and would have to look to see which one was which... The 103 spool is definitely better at lighter weight presentations.

kakaryan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by kakaryan » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:53 am

Or get a RCS 1012 spool. :D

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:33 am

Old topic, but I like to borrow old topic instead of creating new one…

I didn’t even know that there has been HLC spool for Steez size also. But I found a person selling tuned Steez in Ebay and there was HLC spool. I didn’t even Google this much, just checking it was truly for Steez size. I asked him would hi sell only HLC Spool. And he sold.

I don’t have high expectations of functionality of this spool in casting in changing winds. But because this was original IZE factory HLC spool and price was correct, I’m happy for this trade. But now it’s also possible that I will be surprised of performance. Let’s see.

I have OG HLC Zillion which casts far (~138 m is my personal record so far). But one fishing day that I used it for seatrout fishing from shore and casting to headwind it wasn’t fun at all. I got many birdnests and I frustrated and changed to my sv tw Zillion with Steez 103 spool and with HLC spring. After that I didn’t have birdnests and also casting distances was good. I really like this combo (sv zillion & 103 spool & HLC spring) and I have purchased another one 103 spool (this one for mono, for icing conditions).

https://japantackle.com/tu000080.html