Bearing Sizes in Zillion Type R

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
Bushwacker
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Bearing Sizes in Zillion Type R

Post by Bushwacker » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:24 pm

I am looking to do a complete bearing upgrade on a Zillion Type R with some Boca OS. Does anyone know what sizes are needed? In comparing the schematics between the Type R and the standard Zillion, it looks like most of the bearings are different part numbers, but does that correlate to different sizes? Thanks!

thelatrobe33
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Bearing Sizes in Zillion Type R

Post by thelatrobe33 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:15 pm

Different part numbers don't necessarily mean different sizes. Should be standard Zillion size: 5x11x4 (spool) and 3x8x4 (side plate).

Bushwacker
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bushwacker » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:17 pm

Yes, those are the same. I am hoping to do the complete reel. All 11 bearings.

e_bassfisher
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by e_bassfisher » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:25 pm

Bushwacker wrote:Yes, those are the same. I am hoping to do the complete reel. All 11 bearings.
IMHO, you will see VERY little, if any, benefit from replacing all the frame bearings if the reel doesn't already have a bad frame bearing. the stock frame bearings are fantastic, and should serve you well for a very long time......replace the spool bearings and save the $ for other tuning goodies :D

Nitroman77
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Nitroman77 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:32 pm

e_bassfisher wrote:
Bushwacker wrote:Yes, those are the same. I am hoping to do the complete reel. All 11 bearings.
IMHO, you will see VERY little, if any, benefit from replacing all the frame bearings if the reel doesn't already have a bad frame bearing. the stock frame bearings are fantastic, and should serve you well for a very long time......replace the spool bearings and save the $ for other tuning goodies :D

Agree with that 100% 8-)
THkustoms.com
Dobyns rods
Omega custom tackle
Biospawn
seaguar
phoenix boats

DrPerf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DrPerf » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:05 am

You might try flushing and re-lubricating the stock spool bearings before upgrading to Boca OS spool bearings. My experience is that after a flush and re-lubrication with Oust Met-Oil, performance with the stock spool bearings was at least equal to Boca OS ABEC 7 spool bearings, if not slightly better in casting distance and effort.

This is the only reel so far that I have not upgraded the spool bearing to Boca OS ABEC 7 or a set of ABEC 9s. The stock spool bearings in the Type R are clearly a "step up" from previous stock Daiwa spool bearings.

Also, agree with Ian about upgrading the frame bearings. "Just for grins" I did that upgrade on a reel that I have two of and cannot tell any difference as a result of the frame bearing upgrade.

Regards,

Doc