My Spool Pin Pliers

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
RussB
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

My Spool Pin Pliers

Post by RussB » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:21 am

Here was v1. They worked well until I had to press out the spool pin on a Revo...dang! that thing was in there tight, and I broke the jaw right off....

Next up was a set of parallel-jaw pliers. Bored a hole in the end, and drilled a couple holes in it. It's been working great for about a year or-so now. If I do it again, I'll start with high quality P-Jaw pliers,

JerryC
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: My Spool Pin Pliers

Post by JerryC » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:33 am

nice job
neaafishing.com
bocabearings.com
power team lures

Gulfcoastwader
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Gulfcoastwader » Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:00 am

RussB,

Are you selling any of your customized spool pin pliers?

I have yet to take the plunge and start pulling pins. Instead I have devised a way to clean them on the spool with Rosonol and then re-lube them.

I have heard from some of my TT friends that they have a few Steez and TDZ spools as "paperweights" after some failed attempts at pin-pulling. Maybe sacrificing one or two $75 spools is the official rite of passage before getting the hang of pin-pulling.

There IS a market out there for these kinds of pliers, with me being customer #1. I have been watching the Hedgehog tool on ebay, but have yet to buy one.

reelspeed
Angler
Angler

Post by reelspeed » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:32 am

Here are my pliers..

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=2510.0

I will finally start shipping this week.

Aaron
Last edited by reelspeed on Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ReelSpeed Reel Service & Repair
(562) 261-5190

Gulfcoastwader
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Gulfcoastwader » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:46 am

Aaron,
It was good talking to you on the phone. I am putting a check in the mail tonight. I am looking forward to the pin pliers.

lpquick
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by lpquick » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:59 am

The hedgehog tool works great, no need to redesign the wheel.
Rods & Reels Excite me!

reelspeed
Angler
Angler

Post by reelspeed » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:17 am

I am sure they said the same thing when wooden wheels were popular and rubber wheels were better products. :D :D

Actually, I really do believe these to be a better product for this application. As someone who many times is servicing hundreds of reels a month, I need to be able to do the job quick and not have to even think about the possibility of screwing up a spool lip. That is what these pliers do. They come no where near the spool lip..so there is not the possibility of messing it up. We developed a tool very similar to the hedgehog tool, but decided to scrap the idea because it was way too slow and you were still left flirting with the edge of the spool. Not to mention these are a better value! Anyway, just wanted to give people a good and reasonable option made in the good 'ol USA! :) I think if you were to use these side by side, there would not be a choice... but then again, I am affiliated. :D

Aaron
ReelSpeed
(562) 261-5190

muskyhunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by muskyhunter » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:47 am

I made my order yesterday, i'll take some pics and write a small review. I'm also waiting for some boca bearings, CF handle, and new knobs. The pliers will be in great use! \:D/

reelspeed wrote:I am sure they said the same thing when wooden wheels were popular and rubber wheels were better products. :D :D

Actually, I really do believe these to be a better product for this application. As someone who many times is servicing hundreds of reels a month, I need to be able to do the job quick and not have to even think about the possibility of screwing up a spool lip. That is what these pliers do. They come no where near the spool lip..so there is not the possibility of messing it up. We developed a tool very similar to the hedgehog tool, but decided to scrap the idea because it was way too slow and you were still left flirting with the edge of the spool. Not to mention these are a better value! Anyway, just wanted to give people a good and reasonable option made in the good 'ol USA! :) I think if you were to use these side by side, there would not be a choice... but then again, I am affiliated. :D

Aaron
ReelSpeed
Let's go fishing!!!

Gulfcoastwader
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Gulfcoastwader » Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:31 am

I put the check in the mail, when I get the pliers I will post a review.

I have yet to start pulling pins because I have been a little chicken about it and don't want to risk ruining my 100M's and HLC's, but I will start when I get Aaron's new pliers.

Note - I am not affiliated with ReelSpeed in any way, but I like the fact they recognized a market need and are working to fill that niche.

lpquick
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by lpquick » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:30 pm

My Conquest 51 has a pin, but the shaft length is pretty long, not short and stubby like the spool you show in your video. So unless you redesign the pliers for long shafted spools I’ll have to stick with the hedgehog, but I really like your craftsmanship and your price is very reasonable.
Rods & Reels Excite me!

reelspeed
Angler
Angler

Post by reelspeed » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:27 pm

lpquick wrote:My Conquest 51 has a pin, but the shaft length is pretty long, not short and stubby like the spool you show in your video. So unless you redesign the pliers for long shafted spools I’ll have to stick with the hedgehog, but I really like your craftsmanship and your price is very reasonable.
Actually, once you see the finished pliers, I am am sure there will be no way that any spool has a pin too long. For the finished product, we actually ended up milling a radius on the side with a slot in it, so it matches up with the spool shafts better..also by doing this, we increased the pin capacity of the pliers. Eyeballing it right now, I would say we have around 1/2" of clearance on the pin side of the spool..so unless the pin in your Conquest is like 2.5" long, I am sure the pliers will work great! I should have all the new pictures and details up tomorrow.

Aaron
(562) 261-5190

Gulfcoastwader
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Gulfcoastwader » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:56 pm

I got the pliers this afternoon. I love them. I pulled 3 pins in about 10 seconds total with zero concern about spool lips getting scuffed up and zero concern about bending pins. I don't know Aaron but I like what he has done here. Good job.

reelspeed
Angler
Angler

Post by reelspeed » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:17 pm

Hey Brad, thanks for the good review! Glad you like the pliers. Like I said before..they are easy and fast! Enjoy!

Aaron
ReelSpeed
(562) 261-5190

RussB
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by RussB » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:20 pm

Well done Aaron. I hope my cobbled up pliers were an inspiration 8-)

Gulfcoastwader
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Gulfcoastwader » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:11 am

Well, I wanted to update this old thread with new information.

Today I just got in the mail the second generation spool pin pliers made by Reelspeed in California.

First, I want to state clearly that I am in no way affiliated with Reelspeed - I am only a satisfied customer.

Second, I would like to say that these pliers are even better than the first generation pliers I bought from them long ago. Pulled a pin in no time, smoothly, and with no concern about scuffing.

Very well-made pliers, well worth their asking price.

The only problem for Reelspeed is that they may last forever and so no one will be a repeat customer.
Attachments
rs2.jpg
rs2.jpg (26.7 KiB) Viewed 7181 times
rs1.jpg
rs1.jpg (31.55 KiB) Viewed 7181 times