What is the 50E roller bearing problem?

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

What is the 50E roller bearing problem?

Post by Bronzeye » Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:27 am

I'm considering buying a 50E now that the price is more appropriate, but I recall some posts made at this site before the crash about a problem with a bearing in this reel. Was it that it made the reel turn rough? And I think people were recommending that owners remove the bearing. Wasn't the bearing at issue an antireverse bearing? I can't see removing that. Please refresh my memory!

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: What is the 50E roller bearing problem?

Post by USA-RET » Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:44 am

IIRC it was the anti-reverse paw. Guys stated that it made the reel noticeably smoother.

Of course my memory fades :D could be wrong. 8-[
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
¿ <°)))))><

Reeltor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Reeltor » Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:34 am

USA-RET wrote:IIRC it was the anti-reverse paw. Guys stated that it made the reel noticeably smoother.

Of course my memory fades :D could be wrong. 8-[
You are correct, it is the anti- reverse pawl. The JDM model of the 50E the Scorpion 1500XT comes with out one. I remove them from all my Shimanos. :D

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bronzeye » Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:41 am

Thanks for the replies.

I'm still puzzled. If you remove the antireverse pawl, doesn't the handle turn backward from the weight of the lure unless you have your thumb on the spool? Or is there something in addition to the pawl that serves an antireverse function?

Tavery5
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tavery5 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:44 am

Bronzeye wrote:Thanks for the replies.

I'm still puzzled. If you remove the antireverse pawl, doesn't the handle turn backward from the weight of the lure unless you have your thumb on the spool? Or is there something in addition to the pawl that serves an antireverse function?
In short, No, the anti-reverse pawl is a fail-safe, or back-up, in case the anti-reverse bearing should fail.

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:45 am

Bronzeye wrote:Thanks for the replies.

I believe the roller bearings are actually anti reverse bearings. The reel handle will not turn backward if the bearings are working properly.

The anti-revers paw is kind of a redundant measure that is installed in some USDM reels. Removing it only eliminates the additional weight and one more "friction" item.

Again, providing this as "my" understanding of the reel and it's mechanics. :D
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
¿ <°)))))><

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bronzeye » Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:02 am

I understand. Thanks!

dixie_cragger
Angler
Angler

Post by dixie_cragger » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:08 pm

"I believe the roller bearings are actually anti reverse bearings. The reel handle will not turn backward if the bearings are working properly"

X2

brownhl
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by brownhl » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:15 am

And by the way, if you should ever need a new 50E ARB (Roller bearing clutch), the part number is BNT2396 and you will not find it on the 50E schematic, or parts list. Shimano goofed and will add it to both.