Pluton Spool Bearing Sizes?

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
nfnband
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Pluton Spool Bearing Sizes?

Post by nfnband » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:10 am

Not like I need to change them at this point the reel is brand new. Anyone Know what sizes the bearings are on a Pluton Spool? I'm also curious what the ABEC rating is on the stock bearings ..

jedec
Angler
Angler

Re: Pluton Spool Bearing Sizes?

Post by jedec » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:59 am

Was about to ask the same question, although I have a ryoga, I assume the bearing size would be the same. After about a year of frequent use it's producing a sound when casting. It sounds like it is in need of some lubrication, my plan is to clean it and lube it, or if there is a good enough performance gain, order some boca-bearings.

Krgds,

Richard

nfnband
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by nfnband » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:26 pm

How often do you oil the spool bearings. Depending on the oil weight and how often you use it you need to lube after every use.
jedec wrote:Was about to ask the same question, although I have a ryoga, I assume the bearing size would be the same. After about a year of frequent use it's producing a sound when casting. It sounds like it is in need of some lubrication, my plan is to clean it and lube it, or if there is a good enough performance gain, order some boca-bearings.

Krgds,

Richard

jedec
Angler
Angler

Post by jedec » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:33 pm

I never lubed it as of yet, I use it once or twice a week and last year a bit more in a pike-fishing trip in Ireland. I don't want / plan to lube it after every use :-) I'm going to order some quantum hot sauce grease and oil, only downfall is that I can't purchase those products in the Netherlands!

spicytuna
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by spicytuna » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:04 pm

jedec wrote:Was about to ask the same question, although I have a ryoga, I assume the bearing size would be the same. After about a year of frequent use it's producing a sound when casting. It sounds like it is in need of some lubrication, my plan is to clean it and lube it, or if there is a good enough performance gain, order some boca-bearings.
Has anybody been to confim that the spool bearing sizes of the Pluton and the Ryoga are the same? If so, what are the dimensions? I too have been thinking about getting some boca bearings for my Pluton...

jedec
Angler
Angler

Post by jedec » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:52 am

@Spicytuna,

I ordered the boca bearings based on nfnband's measurements for my Ryoga. I will let you know if they fit (Probably a week left untill delivery).

spicytuna
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by spicytuna » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:34 pm

Thanks. Let us know how it goes. These are the sizes for the bearings you've ordered, correct?

ID 3mm x OD 10mm x Width 4mm Dimensions Sideplate SMR103C-2OS/P58 #7 AF2
ID 5mm x OD 11mm x Width 4mm Dimensions Spool (SMR115C-2OS #7 AF2 )

jedec
Angler
Angler

Post by jedec » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:46 pm

I got the boca-bearings yesterday, the boca sideplate bearing doesn't fit, inner dimension is to small. I'll check if I can use the bearing on some other reels (for example my daiwa alphas). The spool bearing seems to be the right size but couldn't test it for sure because I couldn't get the spool pin out the entire way :-( Any tips for that? I tried placing a narrow tool that I use for fly tying on top of the spool pin and hit the tool with a hammer to flush it out. And in case I mess up any further, is it possible to order a spool pin?

@Spicy

Yes those were the ones I ordered.

Krgds,

Richard

jedec
Angler
Angler

Post by jedec » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:28 am

I read the other post about how to remove spool pin, making my own pliers seemed to much hassle (I don't have the tools to make it) so I ordered a tool I came across on Ebay. Considering I kind of liked maintaining and upgrading my reel yesterday I think it will be worth the investment.
Attachments
spoolpin.jpg
spoolpin.jpg (44.6 KiB) Viewed 5944 times

nfnband
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by nfnband » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:49 am

Sorry to here they didn't fit ... one big pain in the ass and makes no sense why they would use different bearing sizes for the same reel in two countries.
jedec wrote:@Spicytuna,

I ordered the boca bearings based on nfnband's measurements for my Ryoga. I will let you know if they fit (Probably a week left untill delivery).

nfnband
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by nfnband » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:57 am

Cool tool but a bit pricey though.
jedec wrote:I read the other post about how to remove spool pin, making my own pliers seemed to much hassle (I don't have the tools to make it) so I ordered a tool I came across on Ebay. Considering I kind of liked maintaining and upgrading my reel yesterday I think it will be worth the investment.