Polish this !

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
ztcsmd
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Polish this !

Post by ztcsmd » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:04 am

Super info--S**#t now I gotta buy dremel and brushes and polish..The TW sale just about busted me....dam you tackle monkey!!

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:48 pm

ztcsmd wrote:Super info--S**#t now I gotta buy dremel and brushes and polish..The TW sale just about busted me....dam you tackle monkey!!
Been there, done that! your also going to need a Ultrasound Cleaner, acetone, spool pin remover, rubbing alcohol... :lol:

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:59 pm

What's the best value US cleaner to buy?

ztcsmd
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ztcsmd » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:26 pm

cndbasshunter wrote:What's the best value US cleaner to buy?
Simple Green is the most economical. When I got my US several years back I visited several of the larger reel repair shops asking that same question. They had huge US cleaners compared to what I have and they were using like a 2:1 ratio H2O/Simple Green--I dont dilute. I disassemble reels and put everything in basket including side plates and have never had any problems on any of the parts. No need to include spool.

BassMan33
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by BassMan33 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:19 pm

I got the fabuluster and med-soft brushes in today can't wait to give this a try over the weekend first reel up is a well used Quantum Energy PTS

BassMan33
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by BassMan33 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:47 pm

I got my Energy PTS done and it came out so good I did my Daiwa t3 1016 shl. One tip I have is I had an old gold ring I practiced on first and if you try holding the piece in one hand and the tool in the other you can get sucked in and scratch the piece glad I started on old scrap. I can't see how anyone can say polishing the gears will make them not last as long if you have a smother surface there is less friction and longer life.

Drundel
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Drundel » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:45 pm

Thanks to the info on here, I bought some of these to try.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230935953426?ss ... 1497.l2649

I'm also looking at

http://www.ebay.com/itm/22mm-Dia-Black- ... 2c6ad31d6e

and

http://www.ebay.com/itm/0-87-Dia-Brass- ... 51a1b7a842

Anyone tried soaking the brass gears in CLR and then just brushing them afterwards with a tooth brush? I found some brass 3-way swivel I soaked in CLR a few days and then brushed it with a brash brush, turned out pretty nice.

Lexy 123
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Lexy 123 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:42 pm

It looks too shiny. I need to do this for my showcase reels.

tim3716
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tim3716 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:03 am

I just polished my Lews Tournament Pro and the main gear didn't polish up that nice. My pinion gear is really shiny though. Can someone make a video on polishing the gears? I don't think I am doing it right.

bigbill
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by bigbill » Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:12 pm

I wouldn't polish the gear teeth I would assemble them using a Moly paste or anti seeze. Moly eliminates all wear, reduces friction and prevents galling. With gears the teeth will engage each other a lot smoother.

buster 2900
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by buster 2900 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:13 am

mike_honcho wrote:Are the dremel bits fine wire brushes? I have a bunch of them that came with my rotary tool kit but never used them because I thought they might leave marks on the gears. So they should be fine to use right.

Great Post by the way.
I came across this older thread while looking for something on this type of maintenance. Never use the Dremel steel brush on brass. It will instantly ruin it, leaving deep scratches. The brass brush is safe and will not harm brass and will actually remove surface scratches.

I’ve been polishing the drag washers and pinion gears on some TE reels. The back of the drive gear on these reels was in direct contact with a Dartanium washer. It had left a difficult to remove stain, or patina. I had to use the brass brush with Dremel polish to remove it. I learned it is actually corrosion. There was pitting beneath this surface corrosion on every drive gear—four in all.

The pitting is pretty bad on the drive gears of the older reels but even the newest, hardly used, had some pitting beneath the corrosion. Not positive, but the stain (corrosion) on that drive gear most likely was there when the reel came out of the box. Part of what I was doing was finally replacing the OEM drag washers with Carbontex.

I don’t know how to safely remove the pitting.

Triton21x MD
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Triton21x MD » Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:05 am

If its pitted badly it probably needs to be replaced. There is no way to fix pitting, but I don't think it will effect the performance if it is just minor pitting on the gear where it contacts the drag washer.

buster 2900
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by buster 2900 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:22 am

Triton21x MD wrote:If its pitted badly it probably needs to be replaced. There is no way to fix pitting, but I don't think it will effect the performance if it is just minor pitting on the gear where it contacts the drag washer.
Thanks for the info. I should probably replace at least a couple of the drive gears that are badly pitted. The pinion gears on these reels apppear fine, but I’m wondering if they should also be replaced at the same time. I don’t know whether there is an issue with the older pinion gear meshing with a new drive gear, but I can see where there could be. There is no visible wear on the pinion gears, but they are well used. Any info on this would be appreciated.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:34 am

buster 2900 wrote:
Triton21x MD wrote:If its pitted badly it probably needs to be replaced. There is no way to fix pitting, but I don't think it will effect the performance if it is just minor pitting on the gear where it contacts the drag washer.
Thanks for the info. I should probably replace at least a couple of the drive gears that are badly pitted. The pinion gears on these reels apppear fine, but I’m wondering if they should also be replaced at the same time. I don’t know whether there is an issue with the older pinion gear meshing with a new drive gear, but I can see where there could be. There is no visible wear on the pinion gears, but they are well used. Any info on this would be appreciated.
Yes, you should always change these out as a set. Both gears are not very expensive and the reel will feel like new as long as no bearings are bad.

lpquick
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by lpquick » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:35 am

Never replace a main gear or pinion gear as a single piece alone, always do it in sets.