Reel Paint?

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
Captain Chaos
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Reel Paint?

Post by Captain Chaos » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:45 am

Anyone ever experiment with painting reels? I'm not talking paint the whole reel but maybe a few accent lines or designs on the side plate....er somethin'. If anyone successfully has done it, what kinda paint did you use and how does it stand up to palming?? Any stories good or bad would be helpful.....

As Tommy boy said in Tommy boy......I have a......plan.

Thanks

raul
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Reel Paint?

Post by raul » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:13 am

I don´t remember who exactly posted that pic of a Daiwa Sol upgraded with a TDZ handle and the nut cover was painted, it looked reallllly kool.

Nitroman77
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Nitroman77 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:25 am

Superman36 has done some kind of reel painting in the past. :lol:
THkustoms.com
Dobyns rods
Omega custom tackle
Biospawn
seaguar
phoenix boats

Charlie Tuna
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Charlie Tuna » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:16 pm

I'm going to bump this post.

I am interested in painting a reel hoping to get a good reply. I have a reel that the paint is wore off & would like to paint.

You wouldn't think this would be too tough, I am suprised we don't see more of it here. As many people as there are painting their own lures why can't you just strip down a reel paint & clear coat it?

CT

dampeoples
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by dampeoples » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:39 pm

To be honest, the only thing stopping me from trying is that D.R. doesn't live close enough to put the damn thing back together for me :)

I've need to send my Calcutta to him anyway, might send along one for him to take apart and just send the outside back.

Sledgehammer
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Sledgehammer » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:45 pm

I have a buddy that just ordered an airbrush and we will probably try and paint a few next week. Im not sure what type of paint will last the longest or look the best so we are going to try it on some old reels. I am also trying to find a way to make a sticker small enough or how to paint a logo on a reel. I hope someone can post up some good info.

dampeoples
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by dampeoples » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:49 pm

Look into waterslide decals for your sticker

NBS
Angler
Angler

Post by NBS » Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:06 pm

If you want to do it well and have it last a long time, spend the money and use car paint in an airbrush not a spray can, then clear coat it. I havent done it on a reel (yet) but I airbrush, and this is the toughest paint I have found.

Sledgehammer
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Sledgehammer » Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:16 pm

dampeoples wrote:Look into waterslide decals for your sticker
Thanks for the tip, I think im going to give them a shot.

dampeoples
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by dampeoples » Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:23 pm

Forgot to give you the site, which at the time I was looking, was the cheapest place (including shipping) to get it from, papilio.com. The fixative....get that from Wal-mart or something and avoid the hazard charge, what they're selling is Krylon Crystal Clear acrylic.

If you try to put some on a curved surface, and can't get it to lay straight, they make something for that too, I think Hobby Lobby has it, can't find my bottle, or remember the name now, though!

Might want to ask one of the resident rod builders what they use, as well, they might have a better solution, this is just what I use (mixed results!)

superman_36
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by superman_36 » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:19 pm

automotive style paints, but if you reel is Mag you need to use a special primer that will etch Mag if not it won't last. also by the best clear you can. the airbrush is the only way i would do it

Lucky1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Lucky1 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:17 am

If your reel is Magnesium its tough to get a epoxy primer that will work on it. I have researched it but I cant find out what the best product would be. It has to be self etching primer. An airbrush is a bit to small in my opinion to do a good job. You should use a jam gun or a mini spray gun. I own the Iwata LPH-50 and I believe it would be perfect for this aplication. As far as paints go theres really only two options, base coat clear coat or some sort of imron (airplane paint). This would be the longest lasting and give the best results. Good Luck, G :D

reelblues
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by reelblues » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:10 pm

superman_36 wrote:automotive style paints, but if you reel is Mag you need to use a special primer that will etch Mag if not it won't last. also by the best clear you can. the airbrush is the only way i would do it
I've been thinking about this myself. I was wondering if the color on a magnesium is all the way through or some kind of powder coat or something. Could you sand a mag cover to paint it? Also, what are waterslide decals?
"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing it is not fish they are after"
Thoreau

GAMEOVER
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GAMEOVER » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:39 pm

I want to get a hint of orange on the inside of my alphas handle on my Sol. The two lengthy punched out pieces on the handle.. if I recall their punched out if not still would like to a perfect orange color match there.

reelblues
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by reelblues » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:37 pm

c'mon paint guys, little more info. Why can't you paint magnisium without etching? Is it like Teflon or something? Any of the reels I would like to stripe are mag's.
"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing it is not fish they are after"
Thoreau