Reel Paint?

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
superman_36
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Reel Paint?

Post by superman_36 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:31 am

you can just sand the reel and paint it with base coat clear coat but the problem is you are building up the Mill/thickness of the paint. You want to keep the Mil as thin as possible on the reel. That is why you would strip it down, also that is why you want to use an airbrush. The airbrush will let you have more control over the paint flow and will get in every little corner of the reel with control. The paint i use is about 60.00 per reel not cheap. When you factor the time it takes to do one RIGHT it is a lot of money

reelblues
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by reelblues » Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:35 am

Thanks, Super. Have you painted any magnesium covers, or just regular material. I am only looking at the magnesium cover, and from the above posts, it looks special to paint due to some properties of magnesium. I'm not wanting to paint the whole cover, just "stripe" it. Can you give a definitive answer on if it needs etched, or just the primers mentioned above? It was a little unclear to me. I would have a airbrush friend of mine who does cycles look at it, and I need to show him this thread, as he's only done bare metal.
"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing it is not fish they are after"
Thoreau

Tmeng
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Tmeng » Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:45 pm

I purchased an used TD-Ito some time ago for a fairly low price. The top of the reel where the 4 ports are located was touched up with paint and started to peel. I've asked a few people on this site to see if they can help me with repainting the reel, but unfortunately no help, I didn't hear back from them. I took this as an opportunity to learn how to repaint or touch-up my reel. I started by stripping the reel down to the bare frame.

The etching primer that Daiwa uses is pretty darn good, using a paint and finish remover did not harm the factory etching primer at all. However once I removed all of the paint on the reel body, I then realize why did the touch-up paint previous used started peeling, it was missing the etching primer. Probably was dropped, or deeply scared.

I cleaned the reel with pep-sol which removes any chemicals, dirt or oil\grease.

I purchased a can of aresol self etching primer from eastwoodco.com for about $15.

Sprayed about 4 coats with 15 minutes of drying between each coat. After I sprayed the etching primer I allowed about 4 hours of drying time.

Next I sprayed the color paint that I purchased from a hobby store. I used a lacquer areosol spray paint Model Master AMC sterling silver metallic. I applied the first coat allowing 15 mintues to dry before the next, after my 4th coat I allowed it to dry for about a day.

Now, since I don't have an airbrush and not wanting to invest in one, I have to add a bit more labor.

After the reel dried a day, I wet sanded the reel with 1200 grit. Using water and dish detergent to keep the sand paper wet. I sanded the reel until it was smooth and even where there are no over-sprays. I used the pep-sol again to clean the reel. I then applied 2 light coat of the same paint, spraying with a distance to avoid any over-spray. I then dried it for about 2 hours before spraying the clear coat.

I used Model Master enamel high gloss clearcoat. I sprayed about 8 coats of clearcoat, allowing 20 minutes in between. I let the reel sit for about 3 days to dry. I then wet sanded the reel with 1500 grit as stated above to remove any over-spray from the clearcoat. Once I was done I used 3M rubbing compound with a soft cloth to rub out the swirls that was caused by the wet sanding. Then I applied the 3M Liquid Wax to bring out the gloss.

Overall I think it turn out nice. The only difference I notice is when you compare it with another TD-Ito the color is a shade off, unfortunately matching the original color paint is very difficult. The new one remains in storage. :D
Attachments
paint.JPG
paint.JPG (18.87 KiB) Viewed 4032 times

reelblues
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by reelblues » Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:17 pm

Thanks, man. Just need to know if that top piece is magnesium, which I'm sure it is, then what you did is the same proceedure for a magnesium cover. Great post. =D>
"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing it is not fish they are after"
Thoreau