Low Cost Ultrasonic Cleaner?

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Low Cost Ultrasonic Cleaner?

Post by ultralight » Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:16 am

Read enough to know I'd like a ultrasonic cleaner to clean out my reels.

Would a cheapie ebay unit with 35 watts such as this work well for reels? Or do I need something much better?

Thanks,
UL

http://cgi.ebay.com/DIGITAL-ULTRASONIC- ... dZViewItem

ChuckE
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Re: Low Cost Ultrasonic Cleaner?

Post by ChuckE » Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:50 am

ultralight,
The price on that model is good, but I'm not sure it would be big enough for a reel frame, if that's what you have in mind. When I UC a frame, I like to make sure it doesn't touch the walls and is completely covered. A 2 pint or larger unit is probably going to be big enough for a frame.

35 watts is the bare minimum I'd look for. 50 would be better because it will have a better duty cycle and less tendancy to overheat...

s/h is about twice what I'd expect to pay... looks like that is how the vendor is reducing eBay fees.

Chuck

Thor
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Thor » Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:56 am

Agree on all points. There are some units that provide uniform cleaning everywhere in the envelope, rather than just the center. Cheap and good quality typically do not come together.

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:02 pm

Thanks! Can you guys suggest some models? Again, this is not going to be used for a business or commercial enterprise so extreme duty ability is not necessary. I know that some units can cost in the many hundreds.

Thanks,
UL

Thor
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Thor » Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:41 pm

UL,

Don't concern yourself with marketing hype and terms, such as, "industrial". Get one you can afford and use it, only then will you know if this application works for you.

I know a guy who loves to clean "stuff" on his back porch during pretty days, and I mean, for hours. I take no pleasure in cleaning things, it is simply something that needs to be done, so ultrasonic cleaners work for me.

Branson makes a few tabletop models that are in the $150 area. Ask the vendors specific questions, determine the level of expertise and customer service, follow the directions and never use water alone. Good luck.

REEL LIFE
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by REEL LIFE » Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:07 am

Thor wrote:
...and never use water alone.
How come? Because it doesn't work well or because it will cause a problem of some kind?

Thor
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Thor » Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:42 pm

Water, alone, does not work well. Cannot say if any damage would result but, then again, have not tried aluminum foil in the microwave either.

ChuckE
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Post by ChuckE » Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:30 pm

reellife wrote:
How come? Because it doesn't work well or because it will cause a problem of some kind?
Ultrasonics do seem to work better if a wetting agent is added to the water. Soap is a good wetting agent.

Chuck

ChuckE
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Post by ChuckE » Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:30 pm

Here's a little more info on ultrasonics:
http://www.tmasc.com/ultrasonic_cleaning_process.htm

Chuck

matrix
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by matrix » Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:48 pm

I almost bought a similar one last year in Taiwan, pretty cheap too. If you end up getting one UL, do let us know how useful it is :D

GAMEOVER
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GAMEOVER » Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:57 pm

Are those the same things used by home made ammo makers? I think they throw the bullet shell caseings in there to polish and/or clean them before they are made into a live round. If they are I think I have one laying around at my ma's house.

matrix
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by matrix » Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:57 pm

Your local Optometrist should have one :D

REEL LIFE
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by REEL LIFE » Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:49 am

Thor and Chuck thanks guys, I'm looking at buying a good ultrasonic soon and just trying to get all my research done. Thank you again.