quantum energy e20pti-a clicking noise.. *UPDATE*

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
quickF4i
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

quantum energy e20pti-a clicking noise.. *UPDATE*

Post by quickF4i » Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:46 pm

i just picked up one of these reels for the hell of it... my first quantum product ever so i dont know if this might be normal.. but it seems that on fast retrieve it makes a clicking noise. i have isolated it to the main shaft. it seems to have excessive play up and down. on fast retrieve its almost as if the weight/inertia of the spool carries the shaft out slightly further than its supposed to when it reaches the top of its cycle.. this would explain why it clicks. my shimanos have similar freeplay.. but not nearly enough to make it click. any ideas?? can anyone verify this as normal or not..

and also this freekin thing did not come with a spare spool :roll:
Last edited by quickF4i on Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

FlyfishTom
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: quantum energy e20pti-a clicking noise..

Post by FlyfishTom » Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:09 pm

I own an Energy 20 and two Energy 10s. I have no clicking noises or wobbles. I would take it back for an exchange.

GAMEOVER
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GAMEOVER » Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:54 pm

I bet you baught a reel someone baught, broke, and returned immediatly after the damage was done. Take it back right away and get a replacement make sure you tell them whats wrong with it so no one else buys it.

quickF4i
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by quickF4i » Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:17 am

i called and got the ok to send it back if necssary... i don't *think* it was a return because the box was sealed with those little tamper proof sticker dots -but anything is possible!! before i return it im gonna head up to gander mtn and take a look at their display model just to be sure. maybe ill also call quantum?? thnx dudes...

quickF4i
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: quantum energy e20pti-a clicking noise.. *UPDATE*

Post by quickF4i » Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:17 pm

for anyone who cares, i brought the reel back.. upon doing some investigating, we found the problem.

there is a plastic rotor nut cover held in by 2 screws that functions to keeps the main shaft bushing set in place inside the rotor nut.. it seems that whoever assembled the reel not only put the wrong screw in there (because there were 2 different length screws) but they also stripped out one of the holes in the rotor. so basically whenever the shaft went up and down the bushing was moving up and down with it. since the cap was only being held by one screw, it was making a clicking noise everytime this happened..

in the end i did get a replacement reel, and as i said.. the initial reel i purchased did not seem to be a return because it was sealed in the box.

unfortunately i will never buy quantum again though.. i was reluctant to buy this reel in the first place because i always buy shimano and sometimes daiwa, but i thought i would give quantum the benefit of the doubt this time, plus i was interested by the whole mag bail/anti-reverse + the funky color. i dont feel that this type of issue should be present with their top of the line spinning reel. this was nothing more than a quality control fault. in my opinion, its an overpriced made in china junk -and for $160 bucks it didnt even come with a spare spool. blah. :roll: it was a bad apple.

and aside from that, my stradic feels wayy smoother and has HALF the bearings..

RojoKayako
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by RojoKayako » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:52 am

Then take it back.

FisherKing
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by FisherKing » Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:12 pm

RojoKayako wrote:Then take it back.