super tuned daiwa advantage upgrade

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
sony
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

super tuned daiwa advantage upgrade

Post by sony » Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:19 pm

Is it possible to put a faster bearing on the spool of the advantage? It seems that my old Daiwa HLVA had "faster" or slicker bearings. Would it be tough, and how much would it cost?

ChuckE
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Re: super tuned daiwa advantage upgrade

Post by ChuckE » Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:33 pm

sony,
First of all, you may see some improvement in the stock bearings by cleaning them and then re-lubing them with a lighter oil like Hot Sauce, Yellow Rocket Fuel, etc. That may help, especially if you've noticed casting performance slowly degrade over time using the reel.

You could upgrade both spool bearings to Boca Abec 5 ceramic hybrids and should see an improvement in casting performance. You could also go with ZPI Sic ceramic hybrids or VXB Abec 7 ceramic hybrids for even a little more improvement. (Check some of the recent posts in the forum over the past couple of months for info about these bearings, cleaning requirements before use, more info, etc.).

Boca bearings would run about 8$ each plus s/h, so about $20 the last time I looked. ZPI Sic and VXB Abec 7 ceramic hybrids will run about $40 and $34 respectively, including s/h.

I believe you'd need (1) bearing in 5x11x4 and (1) in 3x10x4--but I'd confirm those sizes with an advantage supertuned owner before ordering any.

Chuck

sony
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by sony » Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:33 pm

Thanks ChuckE for the reply. The reel is about a year old. I notice if I loosen the spool adjustment to the point where the spool shakes back and forth with your thumb, it casts lighter lures better. Would loosening the spool adjustment too much hurt the reel? I heard you are supposed to loosen it only to the point where the spool doesn't shake back and forth anymore. I

ChuckE
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Post by ChuckE » Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:31 pm

sony wrote:
Would loosening the spool adjustment too much hurt the reel?
First of all, you definately see an effect on the cast if the spool adjustment is too loose and the spool is allowed to move lateraly as line is unpeeled from one side of the reel and then the other side of the reel. Accuracy and casting distance may be affected. Having the spool tension extremely loose will also cause the spool to move lateraly in the spool bearing races, which could potentially affect the condition of the spool shaft and bearings over a long time, and also affect how line lays, as you retrieve. Yes, you are supposed to tighten it to the point where it just prevents spool movement -- but may also need to increase spool tension depending on the weight of the lure you are casting (to prevent overrun). You can actually balance the spool tension setting and magnetic brake adjustment to increase casting distance sometimes.

You may want to put a drop of oil on the pinion under the tension cap, where it contacts the spool tip, and also clean and relube your spool bearings. If you've use the reel much in the year since you got it, it may need more extensive cleaning and lube, depending on the water and conditions (e.g. shore fishing vs boat) you use it in.

Chuck

sony
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by sony » Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:49 pm

ChuckE--You are a master!!! I don't know how to get to all the bearings, but I put some Daiwa oil on the bearing under the magnetic cap (not the magnet itself). I also took the spool tension cap off, and put some oil under the plastic thingy in there. It seemed to help quite a bit, or was it just in my head? :? :roll: