Infinite Antireverse maintenance

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
termigator
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Infinite Antireverse maintenance

Post by termigator » Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:41 am

Do you grease or oil the antireverse? I've always oiled it, but I've read some threads where some people tell you to grease them.

ChuckE
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Re: Infinite Antireverse maintenance

Post by ChuckE » Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:13 am

term,
Check out the Bearings 301 article at:
http://www.tackletour.com/articlebearings301.html

It has some of the info you are looking for.

Chuck

Thor
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Thor » Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:42 am

Chuck,

The link you provided has pictures of damage to bearing races. Do you have any specifics on on time frames or other factors causing this damage?

meumpactumdictum
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by meumpactumdictum » Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:28 pm

I have had roller bearing fail on me due to using low viscosity oil. It did not seize or rust but would occasional fail to engage. This is why I have anti-reverse palw on all my reels down to the Conquest 50. Shimano Calcutta/Conquest from size 50-200 don't have this pawl installed, eventhough it's in the schematics. None of the Calcutta DC have it either. All of these reels have the pawl pin therefore adding a pawl is a piece of cake. Adding the anti-reverse pawl doesn't affect the operation of the reel so as long as you don't over-grease the ratchet.

I find that a light grease such as the Shimano ARB grease (Permalube) works best for the roller bearings. Oil tends to leak down to the drags and you get poor performance. Like Chuch said, light application is key!