Mixing Grease... Is it OK?

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Mixing Grease... Is it OK?

Post by ultralight » Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:00 pm

Curious. New reels come with factory grease and is presumably, clean internally. If I want to add a bit of grease such as Quantum Hot Sauce grease, can i just add it without first stripping the original grease? In particilar I'm thinking of factory new Daiwa and Shimano reels. Eventually I'll have to strip them but wonder if it's OK to do so to any new reels before using them?

Thanks,
UL

ChuckE
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Re: Mixing Grease... Is it OK?

Post by ChuckE » Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:03 am

UL,
A general rule of thumb is not to mix greases, because you can get some unpredictable results in doing so. For instance, mixed grease can bleed (e.g. oil runs out of the filler), aging additives and corrosion protectants can be affected, fillers can harden, and the lubricating property of oils in the grease can be changed adversely. Many wait until the end of a season to change lubes to a new type -- staying with the lube until it can be cleaned out and changed.

If you decide you are going to mix grease however, there are some things you can watch for after doing it, that may indicate you have a problem. If the grease turns black or darkens in localized areas that contact a metal, it gets a hard crust, it clumps (like in cottage cheese), the oil starts to run out of the mixed grease, or you notice a change in the way the reel operated; it may indicate a problem. Doing these checks will require you to periodically open the side of the reel, to assess conditions. In addition, if you are going to use the reel in brackish or salt water, I suggest re-thinking things again, since getting such water in the reel can often accelerate the potential for corrosion.

Chuck

just4kix
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by just4kix » Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:23 am

I've wondered about mixing Daiwa's Grease/Oil applied during the manufacturing process with the grease/oil available through Daiwa USA? A bit more compatability I would think.

Gun Doc
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Gun Doc » Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:50 am

Not about grease, but from an old post of mine:

Good advice on not mixing oils. First Shimano I got years ago (used), it cast fine. I lubed with some Daiwa oils and I could barely cast across a room. Messed around with all kinds of stuff. No help. Finally took the whole dang thing apart and cleaned it. Performance came right back. I forgot about it. Next Shimano I had worked fine. When it needed a bit of oil, I used some Daiwa oil. Performance went to crap. FINALLY, the light went on! The Daiwa oil and the Shimano oil of those vintages congealed into a sort of light grease. You cannot cast a reel for beans with grease in the bearings. Duh!

Don't mix oils!

just4kix
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by just4kix » Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:59 am

I think it's a safe rule of thumb not to but I'm still curious about Greases/Oils used by the same company. Particularly those used by Daiwa during the manufacturing process and those from Daiwa USA. I'll play it safe either way. :)

Thor
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Thor » Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:23 am

Sorry but I disagree on this one.

Most greases start with similar distillates and additives. There may be components that are different, PTFEs, graphite, etc. in suspension, however, the core ingredients are not likely to have any substantial reactions. Oils in bearings can be different since heavier viscosities can actually seize some close tolerance bearings.

just4kix
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by just4kix » Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:00 pm

It seems that the safest way is always to clean prior to applying lubrication just to be sure. :)

ChuckE
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Post by ChuckE » Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:35 pm

Thor wrote:
Most greases start with similar distillates and additives. There may be components that are different, PTFEs, graphite, etc. in suspension, however, the core ingredients are not likely to have any substantial reactions....
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, and that's ok.

It's true that approximately 75-85% of a grease is made up of a lubricant, and they may be synthetic, hydrocarbon, mineral based or combinations of them. However, the thickners/fillers and additives (other 15-25%) is where the problem occurs -- if they are not compatable it can affect the ability of the filler to retain/supply the lubricant where it's needed and starve the metal surfaces of lubricant. The fillers and thickners can be thought of as a sponge, which wicks and retains the lubricant in the locations that are need. If you affect the sponge, you affect the ability of the lubricant to be replenished.

Chuck

kbookert
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by kbookert » Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:44 pm

I don't like to mix. Just because I read someplace that you should never mix automotive oils. So I just apply that to everything with oil or grease.
If you do what you’ve always done, you’ll get what you’ve always gotten.

Shortlite
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Shortlite » Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:57 pm

It's like drinking man: mxing generally is a bad idea.
Once you find your grease of choice, clean your bearings and use that exclusively. Same with oils, although maybe less of an issue. Spool bearings get oil, all others get some grease.

Ted..

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:01 pm

So, I'm with the question that's been raised. How about USA Daiwa grease with Japanese Daiwa reels? Likewise with Shimano. I'd assume they use the same?

Thanks,
UL

Thor
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Thor » Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:08 pm

Chuck,

I would guess most lubricants today for the fishing industry are synthetic based. With that in mind, any chemical reaction that would significantly change viscosity, enough to alter surface tension with the gearing, would be almost instantly visible.

I could be wrong and completely over-analyzing this matter. No wonder I have 15 bottles of oil for my reels.

just4kix
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by just4kix » Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:40 pm

ultralight, I don't think we're gonna get an exact answer on that question for sure, it may be worth calling Daiwa/Shimano USA. You know how that goes though. :|