Can all washers be replaced by bearings....?

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Can all washers be replaced by bearings....?

Post by ultralight » Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:52 pm

Quick question for spin reels. If I find a washer in a spin reel and I can find a bearing size to match, can I replace all washers in a spin reel with a bearing? Or do some functions of the wasther requires a washer and a bearing would not be appropriate?

Thanks for answering so many of my questions. New to tuning.

Thanks,
UL

Shortlite
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Can all washers be replaced by bearings....?

Post by Shortlite » Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:23 am

I think you mean bushings. Washers are generally way too thin to replace with bearings, and serve only as spacers between components, rather than supports for load.

Now, if the bearings match the bushings in dimensions, then go right ahead. If there is a combination of a bushing and a washer/spacer, then the bearing must match the bushing dimensions, and be installed with the washer.

Good luck.

ChuckE
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Post by ChuckE » Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:01 am

ultralight,
It does sound like you are referring to bushings rather than washers; reel washers usually have a looser fit and are generally not more than 2mm thick in a reel. Finding a small precision ball bearing less than 2 mm thick is very difficult, and ceramic ball-less bearings or even ceramic washers (e.g. alumina) may offer a better solution, if this is what you mean.

If you mean a bushing, I can really only think of a few cases where a ball bearing may not be a good choice:
- If an axial load (e.g. shaft) will be repeatidly move (e.g. back and forth) through the center race of the bearing, with time the bearing may experience damage, increased wear, or increased friction (as compared to a bushing). Ball bearings do not typically tolerate much axial load, unless they have angular races, instead of deep groove races. Angular raced precision bearings are not usually available less than 4mm thick, and are used in some reels in these situations.
- Bushings can be made in non-standard sizes, whereas stock bearings come in standard metric or inch sizes. So, unless the bearing is exactly the same size as the bushing it is intended to replace (for fitted bushings), performance may not be as good as it was with the bushing. In addition, using a bearing that does not mount firmly and rigidly with the outer race, can result in the bearing actually rotating in its mount and wearing the mount. (Bearing manufacturers often supply mounting tolerances so designers can factor them into a design.)
- A bushing is sometimes used to restore the alignment of drive components, when tolerances were not maintained as precise as they could have been during manufacture. (E.g. in order to reduce manufacturing costs.) For instance, using a bushing that has tabs, detents, alignment grooves, etc. may help restore rotational alignment after manufacture; but replacing the bushing with a bearing will not do anything to restore alignment through the drive train, and performance may actually suffer. However, if the outside of a bushing is smooth, it is a good candidate for replacing with a bearing.
- If the load that is being carried is significantly imbalanced, a bushing may be a better choice. Severe imbalance may cause the bearing to wear excessively (as compared to a bushing), where the balls repeatidly contact the races. [The contact area on a bushing would be greater than that of the balls in a bearing.]

Now having said all that, components in a spinning reel don't rotate at high speeds, and don't carry that significant of a load. Oftentimes a bushing can be replaced with a bearing and you will see a performance improvement ...and it's fun to tinker! Have fun, and let us know what you did and how it worked.

Chuck

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:40 am

Shortlite, yup, I meant Bushing. Thanks for catching that.

ChuckE, THANKS! I really enjoyed your three articles so far on bearings. Thanks for sharing your expertise so generously.

UL