Eyes popping out..need help.

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
hsu.parker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Eyes popping out..need help.

Post by hsu.parker » Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:55 pm

I've had a few eyes pop out of my rods of late and need some help/advice. I suppose the first is, when I buy a new rod, is their any thing I can do to avoid having them pop out in the first place? And the second, what should I use to put them back in? Superglue? Any advice on brands and techniques would be appreciated.
thanks
Mitch

meumpactumdictum
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Eyes popping out..need help.

Post by meumpactumdictum » Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:47 pm

I never had a whole insert fall off the guides on my rods before. Did it come off in 1 piece? I had guides where the SiC and Alconite rings were shattered, came off, and were broken in multiple piece. This is due to neglect so it was my fault. A couple of my rods were re-wrapped with new guides and I can't even tell it was redone. Didn't cost that much either.

Besides buying rods with guides like REC, there's nothing that you can do to prevent 100 failure/fall-out. In my case, the failure resulted from repeated drop and accidental stepping. Never from actual usage and I use braids most of the time.

If it came off as 1 piece, I guess you can probably use 5min epoxy to glue it back into place. It won't be as strong since a lot of guides are pressed in at the factory. If you have guides that are all stainless or welded with no insert, have the whole guide replaced.

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:11 am

If your rod has a "no fault" warranty, I would exercise that warranty privilege.

If your rings have come out, and are not cracked, you can super glue or epoxy them in. I'd probably side with superglue as it is quite thin and can really get in between the frame and ring. I do think epoxy will hold better however.

Take a Q-Tip and run it around the guide ring. If any sticks to the ring, you've got a cracked ring and then you should just as well get a new guide put on.

Rods with Fuji guides are not prone to popping out. The ring style on the new Fuji's actually trap the ring inside the frame.

All I use are Fuji guides and I have never had one of my rings come out of the frame, without it being broken.

As far as your next rod...if it doesn't have Fuji guides and you want to do something to prevent the rings from popping out...you could try to put a small dab of superglue on the joint where the rings meet the frame. I don't know if that will work though. To get a guide ring to pop out, there would have to be stress on the frame of the guide. I would guess it might be enough stress to pop the super glue as well.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Otterods - High performance hand crafted fishing rods
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

kbookert
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by kbookert » Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:12 am

A lot of times this happens on the tip top due to a weight from a jig, worm weight or c-rig weight being reeled to the top and popping it out. I think if you are talking about the tip top, it is better to just replace it. If it is your other guides, then I would attempt to glue it back in, just be careful that you dont get any glue on the ring where the line would rub on it.
If you do what you’ve always done, you’ll get what you’ve always gotten.

Itchy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Itchy » Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:28 am

If your not handy with doing this stuff you could also just take them to local rod builder and have them put a new guide on for you. Like the post above says buy rids with fuji guides they can not pop out.

HellaBass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HellaBass » Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:56 am

As for prevention:
Avoid reeling jigs and heavy sinkers up to the tip and transport your rods in sleeves or rod socks, it keeps the vibration down in the rod locker and in the vehicles, I think its the vibration and the rods rattling against one another that causes this.

You can super glue or epoxy to fix them, but once I lose one the tend to keep popping and you are best in the long run to have a new guide put on ;)

http://www.RichLindgren.com
http://bassinblog.richlindgren.com
http://basstournament.blogspot.com

Sponsors:
Tru-Tungsten, Secret Weapon Lures, & Optimum Baits
http://RichLindgren.com

progressive816
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by progressive816 » Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:28 pm

the one time that it happened to me was when I was showing my friend the bend on the rod by letting him hold the rod while i grab the tip. It slipped out of my thumb and index finger and slapped the ceiling pretty hard. the guide insert fell off. oops!
:D
Pb-LMB 6lb7oz