Best Spools for OG Zillions in 2024?

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
garza7585
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Best Spools for OG Zillions in 2024?

Post by garza7585 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:33 pm

Good afternoon everyone!! I recently acquired an old Zillion Type R. The reel looked rough in the pictures but I figured it was just normal wear and tear on an older reel and i'm a sucker for the old TD-Z/Zillion platforms. Well I got the reel, and not sure what the heck happened to this thing, One of the arms on the dragstar... broken off, the bumper plates, cracked (how?!) and the spool scratched, nicked and in awful condition.

Surprisingly, after being cleaned, a couple of bearings replaced, fresh grease, it is really smooth. I was able to secure red bumpers from Plat (the original plain metal/silver ones are unavailable) and a red SLP threaded dragstar (threaded dragstars are becoming harder to find for older reels and all the Zillion variants are discontinued), but the spool is still rough. So, what are the go-to 36mm spools in 2024? I've looked at the Ray's studios, but concerned about line capacity. The Zillion HLC is interesting, but since discontinued, expensive. TDZ 100M, good luck. This reel will pull big moving bait duty. What are your thoughts? Anything new or SV that could be the finishing touch on bringing this reel back to life?

bulldog1935
Angler
Angler

Re: Best Spools for OG Zillions in 2024?

Post by bulldog1935 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:59 pm

The biggest problem you will run into with SV-designed spool in TD Zillion is insufficient magnet strength/ too low inductor mass for adequate braking.
I would take the Question to Jun Sonada at JapanTackle - he has perfect English, and knows everything about matching spools with these reels.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:31 pm

bulldog1935 wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:59 pm
The biggest problem you will run into with SV-designed spool in TD Zillion is insufficient magnet strength/ too low inductor mass for adequate braking.
I would take the Question to Jun Sonada at JapanTackle - he has perfect English, and knows everything about matching spools with these reels.
The magnets are fine. The SV spools require very close to the same brake settings as the original spool. Usually in the 8-10 range. I have about a dozen variants of the OG Zillion with SV spools with spacers, Ray's non-perforated spools, and a TDZ-100M spool in one. The Ray's shallow non-perforated spool is the best. The SV103 spools are great with spacers, but not quite as good as the Ray's. The TDZ-100M spool is great for heavy lures and long distance, but not as free as the rare HLC spool. I have never used the Megabass variant spools.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:15 pm

garza7585 wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:33 pm
Good afternoon everyone!! I recently acquired an old Zillion Type R. The reel looked rough in the pictures but I figured it was just normal wear and tear on an older reel and i'm a sucker for the old TD-Z/Zillion platforms. Well I got the reel, and not sure what the heck happened to this thing, One of the arms on the dragstar... broken off, the bumper plates, cracked (how?!) and the spool scratched, nicked and in awful condition.

Surprisingly, after being cleaned, a couple of bearings replaced, fresh grease, it is really smooth. I was able to secure red bumpers from Plat (the original plain metal/silver ones are unavailable) and a red SLP threaded dragstar (threaded dragstars are becoming harder to find for older reels and all the Zillion variants are discontinued), but the spool is still rough. So, what are the go-to 36mm spools in 2024? I've looked at the Ray's studios, but concerned about line capacity. The Zillion HLC is interesting, but since discontinued, expensive. TDZ 100M, good luck. This reel will pull big moving bait duty. What are your thoughts? Anything new or SV that could be the finishing touch on bringing this reel back to life?
There is a mild version of the new Steez A HLC spool. Its 36mm and drops right into your reel. Click the Japan Tackle link above and search it out.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

MountainMan 83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MountainMan 83 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:18 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:15 pm
garza7585 wrote:

There is a mild version of the new Steez A HLC spool. Its 36mm and drops right into your reel. Click the Japan Tackle link above and search it out.
I’ve got this in a my OG limited and it’s great. Definitely recommend.

garza7585
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by garza7585 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:02 am

[/quote]
[/quote]

Thank you!!! I was wondering about that spool, wasn't sure if it would work. I was also considering the red Zillion PE spool on there, but I think I'll go with the Steez A spool.

Thank you all again for your input!!

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:04 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:15 pm
garza7585 wrote:

Yeppers... INSANELY EXCELLENT in a 36 mm OG Zillion. Better than the 100M spool by quite a lot.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:01 pm

there is another spool :whistle: :whistle:
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:06 pm

For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible