Bearings for '16 Aldebaran

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
zelmo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Bearings for '16 Aldebaran

Post by zelmo » Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:45 am

I have the 2016 Aldebaran BFS XG Limited that I use to cast baits in the 4 to 5 gram range. It is currently stock and handles that task well most of the time, but if I am not careful and try to amp up a cast I can get a professional overrun.

My reel is currently completely stock. Has anyone improved the performance of one of these by replacing the bearings? If so what did you use?

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Bearings for '16 Aldebaran

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:57 am

I got Roro ceramic bearings in mine. 733 x 733 is the size for stock 16 Aldebaran BFS.

Bearings will help get the same-ish distance with less effort, resulting is less backlashing. Low end casting will improve a bit too.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

zelmo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by zelmo » Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:10 am

Thanks. Are those the “best” choice for this reel?

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:13 am

zelmo wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:10 am
For me, I think they are the best value for performance. I can't really tell much of a difference between Roro and Hedgehog for BFS casting.

zelmo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by zelmo » Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:48 am

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:13 am
zelmo wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:10 am
For me, I think they are the best value for performance. I can't really tell much of a difference between Roro and Hedgehog for BFS casting.
I really don't know anything about bearings. Is there anything special about bearings that have the BFS label on them? Both the Roco and Hedgehog do, while the Boca Bearing ABEC 7 Ceramic Orange Seal do not. Are they comparable?

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:20 am

"BFS" bearings usually have smaller balls than "normal" bearings.

The smaller balls have less inertia so, gets the spool spinning easier.

zelmo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by zelmo » Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:39 pm

Thank you very much. I am thinking that for what I use the reel for the stock bearings will be fine after a good cleaning.

Can you “rate” the stock bearings?

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:43 pm

zelmo wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:39 pm
Thank you very much. I am thinking that for what I use the reel for the stock bearings will be fine after a good cleaning.

Can you “rate” the stock bearings?
I think they are good enough for most casting. You will notice a difference upgrading them but, not a huge difference.

zelmo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by zelmo » Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:58 pm

I haven’t done anything with the bearings on my Aldebarans (12 & 16) yet. Instead I got the Hedgehog Air bearings and put them in a Chronarch 50Mg to see what the difference would be.

I know that reel with stock bearings had trouble with a 1/8 oz weight but was fine with 1/4 oz. With the stock bearings I could cast the 1/4 oz weight 80’. After installing the HH bearings that moved up to 100’. Additionally it seemed smoother. When I have a chance I will see how it works with 1/8 oz.

After that experience I am going to try new bearings in one of the Aldebarans. Not wanting to waste anything I am going to put the Chronarch bearings in a Curado D. I believe Shimano calls them ARS bearings. Is that what I am going to find in the Aldebarans? Any problem putting those in another Curado?

Edit: I looked up the bearings that I will need for the Aldebarans and they don’t fit in the Curado. That makes my original question mute.