TD Fuego to Steez Gear Swap

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
Bass Junkie
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

TD Fuego to Steez Gear Swap

Post by Bass Junkie » Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:13 pm

I’ve got a few of the original Team Daiwa Fuegos laying around, as well as a couple of beat up Itös, and I really enjoy the reels. One of the 103’s is a project reel, and finding parts to piece it back together has been more difficult than I anticipated. Parts availability is waning, and so I took it upon myself to stockpile parts for the future. Well I’m 4 Steez 103HA gear sets into it and have now learned that apparently I need an additional part, the drive gear washer, per this post viewtopic.php?t=34619
Or possibly need the drive gear itself, per this post viewtopic.php?t=72678

The part is needed to make the gear sets compatible with the Fuegos, but I’m not sure which part is needed, or if it’s both parts that are required, and I’m not having a lot of luck finding either part available for purchase. If anyone here has done this swap and can offer some insight it would be invaluable.

MountainMan 83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: TD Fuego to Steez Gear Swap

Post by MountainMan 83 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:37 pm

Just from looking at both schematics, the fuego has a similar washer labeled "driveshaft washer" and sits under the drive gear buts thats just because the drive gear itself is keyed. Looks like you'd be fine with the fuego washer but will need to either remove the "tabs" from the drive gear or get one from a steez.
https://www.daiwa.com/us/service/manual ... Z103HA.pdf
https://www.daiwa.com/us/service/manual ... DFUEGO.pdf

Bass Junkie
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: TD Fuego to Steez Gear Swap

Post by Bass Junkie » Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:59 pm

That very well may be the case and is a detail I overlooked 🤔 Thank you! I’ll hold off on my Plat order until I can test fit and will update this in case anyone else runs into this issue in the future.