Spinning Reel Drag tuning

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
lifeofRiley
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Spinning Reel Drag tuning

Post by lifeofRiley » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:17 pm

I've got a St Ci4+ 2500 that has a drag that "surges." I could also describe it as under a constant pull pressure it exhibits a fluctuating resistance level. I would also point out that it is not an extreme fluctuation as to the point of a major mechanical problem with the reel. It is however something that I would like to eliminate so as to avoid line breakage/stress either on the hookset or long runs by strong fish. I have fished shimano spinning reels all my life and have three of these model reels, I maintain them so am very familiar with their maintenance. I'm wondering about any tips from you guys to smooth out my reels drag? I might replace the washers, but the reel is only used for walleye, trout, and bass, nothing too punishing. Should I try replacing the metal washers within the drag stack? Any tips appreciated.

Slazmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Spinning Reel Drag tuning

Post by Slazmo » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:17 am

Lap the stainless steel top washer, and the aluminium ones you can't but you should check them for any deformation... You can find stainless steel washers for them which I find a better suit than the aluminium especially when using carbon fibre washers over the stock felt.

Also the washers, being felt they can be a bit squashed. You should relax that knob while in storage... Try replacing them or swap them around in the stack especially the upper 2 and top to bottom them if you know what I mean.

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Spinning Reel Drag tuning

Post by adam lancia » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:00 am

Steel washers and carbontex will smooth that right out I would think. You can also use some great on them to lower their start up resistance. I use Cal's tan grease on mine.