Best grease and oil for servicing reels. 2019 edition.

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
MisterQ
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Best grease and oil for servicing reels. 2019 edition.

Post by MisterQ » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:31 pm

G40 wrote:What oil do you guys use for the antireverse clutch?
A single drop of ReelX oil
A TD-Z is forever

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:10 am

Reverendo wrote:Install the carbontex washers dry? Really?
I’ve heard both ways, but I’d like to know the data for wet vs dry?
I was hesitant at first as well, but one off the biggest things you can do when you install carbontex drag washers is sand each steel drag washer until it's flat. It's called lapping. Get some fine sandpaper, or a diamond tool lapping pad, and do figure 8's until you see that the entire washer is scuffed up. Clean tunnel up with some acetone and then assemble the drag stack dry. You'll actually notice smoother start up at lighter drag settings and no stuttering if a fish goes on a run at higher settings.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:28 am

Best to colour said pressure plate washer black with a sharpie and start light lapping to see where the major high spots are first.

I work up the line with grades of sandpaper up till 2000 - stainless becomes like a mirror. It certainly does help with carbontex washers!

Just don't do this process with aluminium pressure plate washers - you don't get the desired outcome...

brownhl
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by brownhl » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:40 pm

ABEC 7 bearings are really popular, but Shimano will tell you that no reel spins at the rpm that will see a benefit beyond ABEC 5. My SS spool bearings get Yellow Rocket Fuel and there are other fine oils out there. My pinion, crank shaft bearings and X ship bearing get dipped in TSI 301. Handle bearings YRF. None of my Shimanos have worm gear bearings.

skunked
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by skunked » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:08 am

I use Sil Glyde brake grease on gears and Ardent reel oil (not their bearing lube) on spool bearings. I also have Tsi321 and Liberty Oil in my arsenal. If I really want fast bearings, I use RemOil, but it must be applied more often.

eklikewhoa
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by eklikewhoa » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:14 am

Deuthlon brands for me
Semi fluid grs for the crankcase bearings
Gear grs for the gears
Drag for the brakes
Turbo oil for the spool and worm gear bearings

Speedx for the one way

Texas_bullet
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Texas_bullet » Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:42 pm

Best oil? I have used many. I once saw a viscosity chart of different lubes vs ambient temperature. Shimano oil and Remington gun oil will certainly work fine. When you get into frigid temps, most lubes thicken. IIRC, Red Rocket Fuel is better than most in cold conditions. I have been known to take a brand new reel, pop the spool bearings out and clean them in an industrial ultra-sonic cleaner. After removing the grease, I applied a single drop of ReelX. Made a Citica feel like a more expensive reel. OEM's put grease in spool bearings because some guys (you know who you are :lol: ) never service their reels.