buying bearings in bulk

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
lifeofRiley
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

buying bearings in bulk

Postby lifeofRiley » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:53 am

I saw in the "acetone" thread Lgmouthgambler and Shimanofan post about buying bearings for cheap. Just wondering if you guys or anyone else wants to post their source for bearings that are less expensive than buying OEM? In my case I like to stick to standard all stainless. Thanks.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: buying bearings in bulk

Postby LgMouthGambler » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:14 pm

The best option for you is a RC Car/Hobby source online that sells bearings. I get bearings for cheap from sources that I can not say.
<")))><{

fishingkat
Angler
Angler

Postby fishingkat » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:49 pm

I just get mine from aliexpress. Look for a ZZ designation those will be stainless.

lifeofRiley
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby lifeofRiley » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:48 am

fishingkat wrote:I just get mine from aliexpress. Look for a ZZ designation those will be stainless.

Thanks, I just ordered some that were less than $1 a bearing. WOW!! Now I can afford to order a bunch of frame bearing too. Wish I would have figured this out years ago.

Rippin-lips
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby Rippin-lips » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:58 pm

Not all bearings are created equal, especially the cheap ones. I buy in bulk for handle knob bearings and I always end up with some junkers. No matter how many times I run them through the ultra sonic or what I clean them with. It’s of little concern since I can just toss them in the can and grab another one. Just be sure to order some extras to have if needed.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Postby LgMouthGambler » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:40 pm

One good key thing to do is soak them. I keep them in a container labeled with the sizes, all while they soak in either gear oil or thick motor oil.
<")))><{

lifeofRiley
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby lifeofRiley » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:14 pm

Thanks for the tips. I realize that on the whole Chinese bearings should generally be inferior to japanese bearings. I actually ordered abec 5 zz stainless for less than a buck a bearing. Minimal investment and I can try, if they work good I can order more. I always test all bearings for smoothness. If they aren't smooth out of the pack or after a few drops of oil, in the trash they go.

Dalleinf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby Dalleinf » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:42 am

lifeofRiley wrote:Thanks for the tips. I realize that on the whole Chinese bearings should generally be inferior to japanese bearings. I actually ordered abec 5 zz stainless for less than a buck a bearing. Minimal investment and I can try, if they work good I can order more. I always test all bearings for smoothness. If they aren't smooth out of the pack or after a few drops of oil, in the trash they go.

If you can find the time, please report back on how the bearings perform... Thx

cadman
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Postby cadman » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:39 pm

lifeofRiley wrote:Thanks for the tips. I realize that on the whole Chinese bearings should generally be inferior to japanese bearings. I actually ordered abec 5 zz stainless for less than a buck a bearing. Minimal investment and I can try, if they work good I can order more. I always test all bearings for smoothness. If they aren't smooth out of the pack or after a few drops of oil, in the trash they go.

I would be interested in your find as well. Please report your results. I'm looking for bulk bearings in bulk as well.

Return to “Maintenance & SuperTuning Q&A”