Surf Spikes

Discussions focused on the pursuit of saltwater species
Jinz000
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Surf Spikes

Post by Jinz000 » Wed Feb 25, 2004 3:13 pm

I was wondering what types of surf spikes you use? Aluminum or PVC? Which is the better, I saw 1 rod fall into the bay (thanks to a sea lion) I wasn't sure if they were using a PVC but im pretty sure it wasn't Aluminum.
I'm looking for the tallest one available up to 66 inches.

swear by senkos
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Surf Spikes

Post by swear by senkos » Wed Feb 25, 2004 3:33 pm

You could make your own out of a big piece of pvc pipe, you could cut it as big as you want and it is a lot cheaper too. be sure to cut it on an angle to.

Jinz000
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jinz000 » Wed Feb 25, 2004 4:11 pm

S.B.S, I was thinking about that, but then it's gonna be loose, and if I purchase a tall pvc it'll be difficult to take out the rod when setting the hook. I've seen some that looked as if you can effortlessly set the hook when needed (pull back and NOT UP, then set). Problem is its not as high as I like it to be. Question is PVC(would it hold its ground against uhhh sea lions? lol) or Aluminum?

swear by senkos
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by swear by senkos » Wed Feb 25, 2004 4:41 pm

I think the pvc might hold better, get a different opinion though i have never had to deal with see lions. THe pvc gets sand and gravel in the side of it, unlike the metal which is just around it. The pvc, you might want to pound into the ground with a hammer, i dont but if you want an extra strong grip you could do thay. There are many different sizes aswell of pvc. I use this for stripers not sea lions :lol: but it works for blues to but it is worth a shot.

THEGAME
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by THEGAME » Wed Feb 25, 2004 9:01 pm

If you put them in the ground far enough they will stay.Your drag should go off or the line break before they pull out. I make my own PVC spikes and if they are used in sand I have a trick to setting them deep in the ground.

Jinz000
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jinz000 » Fri Feb 27, 2004 12:51 pm

The Game, yes if they would just adjust your drag, nothing like that will happen, the problem these days is drags are set tight combined that with super lines. Somethings gotta give! :(

Looks like everbody is building theirs, I might give it a try and build myself one. Thanks

THEGAME
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by THEGAME » Fri Feb 27, 2004 9:48 pm

Well if you think its something you don't want to mess with let me know what one or a pair would be worth to you. I might make them for you.

Reno Reeler
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Reno Reeler » Tue Mar 02, 2004 12:38 pm

[font=Trebuchet MS]Good luck on you quest for the ultimate surf sand spike. I'll bet The Game is a proficient welder of all matter of metals.

You might consider anchoring you surf spike with a few the cork screw style dog tethers and guy wires. Of course no sand spike is going to hold up to a sea lion and a tight drag. [/font]

THEGAME
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by THEGAME » Tue Mar 02, 2004 3:29 pm

We just don't have any sea lions down here. Although we have some fish that would love to eat one. LOL I have several sets of sand spikes. Some made of aluminum angle and PVC pipe for the rod to fit in. And I have some made of sch 40 PVC that I flaired the top and angled the bottoms. I have a trick way of setting them in the ground. You get them set deep enough and they are not going anywhere.
I have thought about making some and trying to seel them on ebay. Do you guys think anyone would buy them?

Aerotus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Aerotus » Wed Mar 03, 2004 11:32 am

THEGAME, why dont you post a picture so we can see if it's worth
producing and selling. We can give you some opinions.

Jinz000
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jinz000 » Wed Mar 03, 2004 1:21 pm

GAME, we can definately offer you some suggestions. I've seen a few spikes get sold on ebay.

swear by senkos
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by swear by senkos » Wed Mar 03, 2004 3:41 pm

I would think so, i tackle shop by me sells the pvc ones for like 6 bucks a pop. He makes them himself, they seem to sell pretty well but i think you should give it a shot.

THEGAME
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by THEGAME » Thu Mar 04, 2004 7:19 am

When I get back from my little trip I may try putting some up for auction.I was thinking of putting them up in pairs.And have them be around 5 feet long.I will have to find out where the shipping cost jumps at. It is somewhere around 5 feet but I'm not sure.

Aerotus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Aerotus » Thu Mar 04, 2004 10:47 pm

Shipping for something that's 5ft long is probably about $10 or so. Depends where it goes to.

THEGAME
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by THEGAME » Fri Mar 05, 2004 3:24 pm

I know that shipping goes up drasticly at a certain length. It gat be an inch longer and cost a good bit more.I'll check and see whne I get back.