Anyone LRF/Ajing on the SE coast

Discussions focused on the pursuit of saltwater species
JWR075
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Anyone LRF/Ajing on the SE coast

Post by JWR075 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:02 am

I have been studying LRF/Ajing lately. I was wondering if anyone in the SE area has been doing this? If so what is your set-up and what's your go to lure?

Seph
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Anyone LRF/Ajing on the SE coast

Post by Seph » Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:23 pm

I live on the coast of Georgia. I had to google LRF(Light Rock Fishing) - had never heard of it. I would say that the geology of the SE USA doesn't support this kind of fishing from shore as we have tidal marshes - not rocks.

If the concept here of LRF is merely ultralight tackle I would say that it is already widely used as many anglers use 1000 and 2500 size spinning reels to catch trout, redfish, sheepshead, and flounder of many different sizes on artificial baits as light as 1/8 oz.

As far as AJing goes...one must run at least 20 miles offshore from my area to get after these and still only be in ~50 ft of water. They are not found in the inshore estuaries this far north. With the cost of fuel and time being money most anglers that make the run for these may use vertical jigging techniques but will usually use a jig that is at least 5 oz due to the tides that are always in effect OR use much heavier gear for grouper and snapper and consider AJs to be bycatch trash fish due to the heavy prevalence of worm infestations in the meat.