Hello from Japan!

Discussions focused on the pursuit of saltwater species
Fisher Taiga
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Hello from Japan!

Post by Fisher Taiga » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:04 pm

Well actually I was born and raised in California but recently moved to southern Japan for temporary work and will probably stay a little longer. Just want to drop in and join the community and get to know more about fishing.

If there's anyone who has been to and experienced fishing in Japan I'll be happy to learn from ya.

The most popular fish to fish in my area is the largescale blackfish. Here's a few videos I've done since fishing in Japan for the first time.

Here's one on catching my first yellowtail (?) off the concrete blocks in the city.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDuKzdN ... 7unaTjmYZA

Another on fishing mahi-mahi off the rocks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLBC8ly ... 7unaTjmYZA

And last, an introduction video I tried doing on fishing largescale blackfish off the rocks in Japan. They're usually bigger than the palm sizes ones I caught in the video. Around 30 to 60 cm are the intended targets.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfrkJmo ... ZA&index=8

Check it out if you got time to kill and not fishing :)

Nice to meet everyone,
Chris

landscraper
Angler
Angler

Re: Hello from Japan!

Post by landscraper » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:29 pm

Hi Chris, welcome to the forum. Nice job with those fish. I can't help you with any tips on fishing in Japan. Haven't been anywhere near there. Maybe some others can. I personally haven't found this Saltwater forum all that helpful. Doesn't seem to me that many people are on it. I get most of my info from some local forums. Maybe there are some local ones in your area. Good Luck.

Mike

hawkoath
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by hawkoath » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:05 pm

Nice videos Chris. I've never been to Japan or fished there but I watching the last video on iso fishing and was wondering if a sabiki rig tipped with some krill might be a good way to target the fish in the third video?

Fisher Taiga
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Fisher Taiga » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:14 pm

hawkoath wrote:Nice videos Chris. I've never been to Japan or fished there but I watching the last video on iso fishing and was wondering if a sabiki rig tipped with some krill might be a good way to target the fish in the third video?
Hi, yes! In my local area sabiki rig is quite popular and can catch a variety of fish. Someone dubbed it as "The Almighty" rig. Basically any rig with small hooks and krill can catch many fish including the ones (largescale blackfish) in the third video.

Fisher Taiga
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Fisher Taiga » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:15 pm

landscraper wrote:Hi Chris, welcome to the forum. Nice job with those fish. I can't help you with any tips on fishing in Japan. Haven't been anywhere near there. Maybe some others can. I personally haven't found this Saltwater forum all that helpful. Doesn't seem to me that many people are on it. I get most of my info from some local forums. Maybe there are some local ones in your area. Good Luck.

Mike
I completely understand. I guess I'll have to work on my Japanese to visit the local forums here :)

hawkoath
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by hawkoath » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:21 pm

Fisher Taiga wrote:
hawkoath wrote:Nice videos Chris. I've never been to Japan or fished there but I watching the last video on iso fishing and was wondering if a sabiki rig tipped with some krill might be a good way to target the fish in the third video?
Hi, yes! In my local area sabiki rig is quite popular and can catch a variety of fish. Someone dubbed it as "The Almighty" rig. Basically any rig with small hooks and krill can catch many fish including the ones (largescale blackfish) in the third video.
Yeah we use it in the PNW for herring, smelt, perch, shad, mackerel, etc... and I've accidentally hooked bigger fish on the rigs as well. At one of my favorite fishing spots where I usually bottomfish there are usually schools of herring that attack my bait before my bait gets to the bottom. When I see the small tugs on my pole I usually grab my sabiki rig rod and start jigging. Once I hook one on I stop jigging. Give it a few seconds and soon the herring swarm my rig and I can get 4+ herring on one cast fairly easily. Its a lot of fun and a great way to kill time while waiting for the small sharks and flounder to bite.

hawkoath
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by hawkoath » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:35 pm

landscraper wrote:Hi Chris, welcome to the forum. Nice job with those fish. I can't help you with any tips on fishing in Japan. Haven't been anywhere near there. Maybe some others can. I personally haven't found this Saltwater forum all that helpful. Doesn't seem to me that many people are on it. I get most of my info from some local forums. Maybe there are some local ones in your area. Good Luck.

Mike
Tackletour for the most part is a bass fishing forum but it can sometimes have some good general ideas. If you have any specific questions relating to certain situations and can describe them in detail I'm sure there is someone who can help you. Local forums are always really nice though. Japanese fishing from what I have heard previously and seen from your videos are very specialized. That being said if you are surf fishing for Tuna, Mahi Mahi, etc... there are specific website forums that could provide you with a lot of help. Stripersonline is a good place for general information about surf fishing. The South Africans and Australians websites/people should also be able to give some good advice as well. The rockfish fishing bears more resemblance to European Carp fishing than any typical US fishing style. You could probably hit the fanatic British carp fishing websites and see if you can't apply some of their techniques to your own fishing. Hope this helps.

hawkoath
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by hawkoath » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:36 pm

BTW - what was the gear you were using when fishing for the tuna and mahi mahi?

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:51 pm

hawkoath wrote:BTW - what was the gear you were using when fishing for the tuna and mahi mahi?
Reel looks like a Shimano Complex?

Rod, I wouldn't even know where to start? :lol:

Fisher Taiga
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Fisher Taiga » Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:57 pm

hawkoath wrote:BTW - what was the gear you were using when fishing for the tuna and mahi mahi?
Thanks for the forum advice! My gear is Shimano nasci c3000hg, not a very expensive real but gets the job done in saltwater. The rod is a Gamakatsu Reflex 8'6" MH seabass rod. I"m using metal jigs :D

Handler
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Handler » Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:16 am

Awesome videos! I watched the first one twice, definitely prefer the screaming drag to the background music.

Handler
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Handler » Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:17 am

Do you have any idea where I can order a net like that? I need something small enough to keep in my apt, but that can extend out to fish from sea walls and rocks. I've never seen anything like yours and it seems perfect.

Redfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Redfish » Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:01 am

That's awesome that you can get mahi from the beach...wish I could find a place like that here. Good job!

Crappielimits
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Crappielimits » Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:39 am

That's pretty cool! Not wild about being dropped off on the rocks.