rod for inshore and river stripers

Discussions focused on the pursuit of saltwater species
NorthernStrain
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

rod for inshore and river stripers

Postby NorthernStrain » Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:47 am

I'm looking for suggestions on a casting rod for using rip baits and top waters, maybe a small swimbait too, for inshore and river stripers. I've been looking for a good rod around 7 feet in length with a mh power and a mod-fast action that can handle baits up to an ounce. And thoughts would be great.

darrin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: rod for inshore and river stripers

Postby darrin » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:16 pm

The rod I have been using is a Lucky Craft TLC Pitchin Rod. I bought this rod on a whim as it was on sale and it has been one of my favorites. I use mine mainly for stripers (pencil poppers, big traps and fish traps on 3/8oz jig heads) and jigging ocean rockfish. The rod is rated xfast, so this doesn't fit what you want. But if you try it, you might find you like it. I personally like a faster tip for stripers when throwing lures. Even though I have lots of MH rods (Loomis, Dobyns, Powell, Phenix, Fenwick. What can I say, I get suckered in too easily!), there's just something about this rod when I'm bombing big lures. It's hard to explain.

Liganess
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Postby Liganess » Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:45 pm

If this is so, I need to do next.

GOOD YEAR 71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby GOOD YEAR 71 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:39 am

I feel you, NorthernStrain. Only all too well, in truth... I'm all about Striper, my friend. Any fish, really, but especially Striper. It would help if you suggested a price range you're looking at, but I advise finding a rod rated beyond 1oz to avoid pushing capacity limit. Something MagHvy rated to 1.5oz or so maybe. Probably not a bad idea to look beyond 7' for that matter. You'll want everything you can get when you happen to lay into that mamba. Good luck.

Return to “Saltwater”