PowerPro good for saltwater surf use?

Discussions focused on the pursuit of saltwater species
BOX-22
Angler
Angler

PowerPro good for saltwater surf use?

Post by BOX-22 » Fri Oct 24, 2003 8:28 am

I recently spooled my new Capricorn with PowerPro 30lb (8lb dia.) braided and I absolutely love it. I'm kicking myself for sticking with XL so long. This got me thinking about my surf gear. How does PowerPro fair in salt/surf conditions? I currently have it spooled with 20lb suffix and I'm not particularly happy with my casting distance. (10' Lamiglass and a Daiwa EmblemX-A) Anyone have any opinions on the topic?

Jinz000
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: PowerPro good for saltwater surf use?

Post by Jinz000 » Fri Oct 24, 2003 9:22 am

Which Lamiglass are you using for surf?

Reno Reeler
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Reno Reeler » Fri Oct 24, 2003 9:32 am

BOX-22,

PowerPro is the market leader for saltwater fishing. There are some really good articles on their web site. Make sure you use mono for your backing and for your shock leader!

http://www.powerpro.com

BOX-22
Angler
Angler

Post by BOX-22 » Fri Oct 24, 2003 2:30 pm

Jinz - The rod is the Surf & Jetty XS 10 MS I'm pretty sure. (I'm at work right now so I can't check.) Lists for $300 on their site but I got it for about $125 on ebay spanking new.

Reno - Thanks for the info. I'll definately check out their site when I get home.

Jinz000
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jinz000 » Sat Oct 25, 2003 9:47 am

Yeah lots of surf use power pro, just make sure your shockleader is MONO, and 2.5 times the length of your rod and weight of line = times whatever ounce your bait is by x10. Most people don't follow by this and end up with breakage when they cast causing the weight/bait to fling dangerously 200+ yards.

I would recommend to never to use spider wire for surf, it doesnt stretch and will often break.

You got a good deal on a good rod. I try to find good deals like that as well on ebay but always gets outbidded. lol

BOX-22
Angler
Angler

Post by BOX-22 » Sat Oct 25, 2003 5:46 pm

I understand about the need for a leader. I've seen my dad sling pyramid sinkers down the beach because he didn't know what a shock leader was used for. He thought it was only for toothy fish. :D

I have 20lb Suffix on there now and I have a 30lb shock leader just in case. It's long enough to reach from the butt of my rod, up to the tip and threaded down with three wraps around the spool.

On a side note -- How do you cast from the surf? I've seen lots of elaborate techniques but I'm hesitant to try them. (I can just see sinkers flying through hotel windows behind me on my first attempt...)

Jinz000
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jinz000 » Sun Oct 26, 2003 3:37 pm

Box-22 Learn the hatteras style cast, you can get really goood distances with it. You can use this cast just about anywhere(provided that the lake/water is at least 200 yards wide so your bait doesn't go over to the other side of the shore). Its not as dangerous as the Pendulum and OTG casts, since those 2 casts require that no one is within 400 yards of you.

You can download and practice the hatteras cast for FREE here

Click Here for Hatteras Cast

Box-22, I think that size of leader is dangerously too thin,
For shock leader wieght i would recommend at least 60LB that is If your the total weight n bait is 6 oz, and 80LB if your total weight n bait is 8 oz. Basically rule of thumb is line = 10xlb of the weight n bait.

Jinz000

BOX-22
Angler
Angler

Post by BOX-22 » Sun Oct 26, 2003 7:45 pm

Thanks for the info on the cast technique. I will definately check it out. As for my leader size. What I was throwing was appropriate for the times I wsa fishing.(I don't live near the beach so it's a once or twice a year thing.) At the time I was throwing a 2 ounce sinker with about an ounce strip of mullet. I appreciate your concern. I don't want to hurt anyone either... :(

Aerotus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Aerotus » Mon Oct 27, 2003 3:42 pm

Will Power Pro burn your fingers more than mono when casting?

Jinz000
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jinz000 » Mon Oct 27, 2003 3:56 pm

If you use spinning YEAH! Just to be safe protect your thumbs/index finger. It really depends on what reel your using for the longcast. If your using a reel that requires you to control the cast from start to finish such as the Penn 525 Mag then yes, on the other hand reel such as the daiwa grandwave that only needs to control at the end of the cast, not necessarily.

If you plastic some thing to protect your finger, Make sure the plastic or whatever it is your using doesn't burn into the line while casting.

THEGAME
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by THEGAME » Tue Nov 04, 2003 10:47 am

Jinz000 is right on. You need 10 lb test per oz. of weight at a minimum. The shock leader needs to wrap around your spool at least 5 times then out the rod guides and back to the reel.In distance casting they call it a crack off when your weight pops the line during a cast. I have had this happen a few times. I only wish i could get my rig to cast that far with the line still attached. I saw the bait rig dissapear into the sunset and never saw it hit the water.LOL I have heard of 5 oz weights going through car radiators on a crack off.Imagine what it would do hitting a person in the head. Not a good thought.
As for Power Pro in the surf. It does not have the abrasion resistance of mono to me.Of corse it is not as big in diamiter either. I realy loved it on my Okuma surf spinning reel for about the first 2 months. I could cast almost twice as far as my fellow fishing buddies with it. then something happened. It lost its body are something.It started tieing itself in knots and the loops coming off the reel would hang on the rod guides during a cast . I took the twist out of the line to see if that was the prob but it made no differents.I unspooled the line and respooled it from the other end. This left me with like new line for casting and fishing. That worked for a while then the shinny look to the line wore off and the trouble started again. I plan on trying some Stren Super Braid next time to see if it will hold up better.

Jinz000
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jinz000 » Tue Dec 02, 2003 7:28 pm

Has anyone tried this Hatteras Style Cast? This is a difficult style to use for casting. Maybe you start the initial cast when the weight is swining elsewhere, I can't really see from the video.

From the video shown here it seems easy, until you try it. haha

If anyone can grasp this style of cast, please let us know. If only I can get one-on-one training with those people at hatteras island.

Jinz

Fishing Fanboy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Fishing Fanboy » Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:11 pm

I don't see anything difficult about that cast. I've been casting like that with regular nonsurf gear to get lots of distance for decades. :lol:

shiv
Angler
Angler

Post by shiv » Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:41 am

I switched from Power Pro to Sufix Performance Braid. I did not like the waxy feel of PP, or the fact that PP is "flat" - not round.

The quality of PP is on par with all the other braid I am sure, but I liked the feel and handling (for lack of a better word) of Sufix over PP.

PP seems like flattened thread.

I don't think there is any braid that is not saltwater compatible.

Now if you want an objective analysis - I would not hang myself with Power Pro! :D

Wachtel
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Wachtel » Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:47 am

I've used PP a lot for jigging and bottom-bouncing. No problems!