Sea trout baitcaster recommendations?

Discussions focused on the pursuit of saltwater species
SWH
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Sea trout baitcaster recommendations?

Post by SWH » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:36 am

Hi

I've been fishing sea trout on the coast with waders for years using spinning gear, but as I just got a boat, I'm considering a baitcaster and a 7'6 rod to fish moving baits that vary from 3/8 - 1/2 ounces. I would think this is very much like fishing the flats for speckled trout.

I can't use Exsence DC as it's a rightie.

Maybe a T3 SV 8.1 loaded with some 20 lbs. braid could do the job. I'd like to hear any suggestions.

lpquick
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Sea trout baitcaster recommendations?

Post by lpquick » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:19 am

I chase specs, reds, flounder & drum all year round. I have a few combos that work extremely well for me.
I use a CQ 51 with my NRX 893 I have another CQ 51 w/NRX 853. Both combos weigh less than 12oz. ea. I also have a Calais 201DC on PG Biwako Versatile X, a MB Grigio Titanio with a MB Bearingdown, a MB Lin10 Origin with a MB Nautilus and a CQ 101DC with NRX 873 or EG Super Stallion. Only the Calais 201DC is made to handle saltwater but I take excellent care of my gear and have had no issues using all of them in the salt. I went flyfishing for sea trout up in Norway back in the late 80’s while stationed in Europe, caught a few during a terrible storm which kept us from fishing for most of the time we were there. We tied flies drunk beer and told stories for four days, ended up having a great time and made a few friends. I would enjoy seeing any photos of your catch when you have the time.

TravHale
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by TravHale » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:08 pm

I fish the Gulf Coast almost exclusively, and for inshore I use Shimano Curados (e and g series) and Chronarchs. They have all served me well for trout, reds, flounder, spanish, etc.. I would recommend them to anyone looking for good inshore baitcasters that don't break the bank. Also, most of my reels have 30lb braid and 3ft of 20-30lb fluorocarbon leader connected with a sebile knot.

Native
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Native » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:14 pm

I'd have to agree with both of the previous posters but for different reasons. From my experience, Inshore fishing requires a reel that won't torque or twist on it's frame. You lose control of the fish, especially when they get rather sizable like Bull Redfish and Spec. Trout have a habit of doing. You also want a good set of gears that can bring the fish to the boat or to shore in a reasonable amount of time so they aren't beyond resuscitation when it's time for their release.

There are some very good economical reels that can insure a controlled capture and release of the largest of fish without breaking the bank. Start with 300 frame size reels both in low profile reels like the Lexa 300, Quantum EXO 300 and Curado 300, followed by low pro reels designed for inshore fishing like the Abu Garcia NACL, Revo Inshore Gen 3, Daiwa Zillion Coastal and Quantum Smoke Inshore. Then you can look at the round reels like the Calcutta D's and B's in the 200-300 series and the JDM Conquests 50-300 series. I'd also look at the Daiwa Pluton or Daiwa Ryoga 1016 or 2020, which are absolute beasts when it comes to round reels with brawn. You could probably pull out fence posts with one from my experience! The JDM 12 Calcutta series are a best buy, especially in the 100-200 series and are configured like the older TE's with a side plate that opens with a thumb screw! Hell you could even get a JDM Scorpion DC that would fit your needs much like the Exsence DC if you wanted (http://www.japantackle.com/Shimano/Shim ... ion_DC.htm)!

My point is you can get a good reel that is built to last for inshore fishing and in a price range that's comfortable. Take a look at some of the reels I've identified and see if they fit the bill for you. Chances are good they will and you'll be happy with the choice. If it were me I'd probably use my Calcutta 200TE or Lexa 300 since were talking bait casting tackle. I usually use Penn Conquer 2000 and 5000 spinners when I have the opportunity.

Hope this helps!

Tim

TravHale
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by TravHale » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:30 am

I think a 300 sized reel would be good if you were targeting larger/stronger fish like bull redfish, but for most other inshore fish, it's going to be overkill. I use a 200 size or equivalent for 99% of my inshore fishing and they work great. Throwing a 300 sized reel all day is going to wear you out--especially if you're throwing artificials.

Your mileage may very, but this has been my experience on the Gulf Coast, where are you fishing?

doublethree
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by doublethree » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:08 am

I love my Revo Inshore, extended handle and can cast a mile.
SWH wrote:Hi

I've been fishing sea trout on the coast with waders for years using spinning gear, but as I just got a boat, I'm considering a baitcaster and a 7'6 rod to fish moving baits that vary from 3/8 - 1/2 ounces. I would think this is very much like fishing the flats for speckled trout.

I can't use Exsence DC as it's a rightie.

Maybe a T3 SV 8.1 loaded with some 20 lbs. braid could do the job. I'd like to hear any suggestions.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:40 pm

Any 50 to 200 size low pro will work great.I use Curado 51 and 201E7 for most inshore fish,even large jacks unless fishing from shore/wading,then its mainly 200 and 300 size just in case.For speckled trout and redfish,a 50 size is my favorite though.Put some 20lb braid on and your ready to catch almost anything.

Lexy 123
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Lexy 123 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:32 pm

Cu-51e and Cu-201e5/7 should be fine for all inshore bay fishing from boat.
If fishing from boat, I would use 6'6" med and med-hvy rods.

PCSnooker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PCSnooker » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:56 pm

I think the daiwa t3 at its current sale price would be an awesome option. Ill be getting one in the mail tomorrow and I'll let you know how it works out.

white84z
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by white84z » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:35 am

PCSnooker wrote:I think the daiwa t3 at its current sale price would be an awesome option. Ill be getting one in the mail tomorrow and I'll let you know how it works out.
This. I just ordered one and tax time I will have a sv spool coming. In my opinion 120 yards of line will land 99.9% of fish caught inshore. I've landed up to 38" redfish and even a 30" spanish mackerel on my chronarch 101d7 and 30lb sufix 832. Holds 110 yards exactly.

buster 2900
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by buster 2900 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:22 pm

I wish I could recommend the Daiwa Zillion Coastal, considering what I paid for it, but I can't do it. I've caught slot Reds of 22-26" inches with the reel. It has a drag of around 8 lbs, not heavy for a reel targeted for inshore fishing, but the reel designers weren't clueless either. With these fish, particularly the larger ones, I had the drag as tight as possible and line was still going out as I cranked very hard, finally gripping the paddle with a fist. It was clear that if it the drag had been much stronger something was going to break--and it wasn't going to be the 30# braid or 7' M/H inshore rod I was using. I'm not sure this reel could land a bull Red.

A round baitcast reel is much more rigid and powerful than a low-profile reel. Even a small Calcutta, a 200 size TE (if it can be found) or D, will easily control anything inshore. A circle is the most rigid geometric shape since force is more evenly distributed along its outer surface, and a round baitcast reel will take far more stress than a low-profile reel before failing. While a low-profile reel will work for most inshore fishing, it isn't the better choice in my opinion.

tonyex
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by tonyex » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:04 pm

For the kind of baits that you are planing to use, then the Exsence dc ( The lefty is available now) should be the right way to go. I recently upgraded to it from my CQ51 and I begin to like it lot. I have to say that most of my reels are round due stability and feel, but this one Exsence is very rigid and stout to be a low pro.

I do fish after sea trout with waders too and if casting distance and stability in headwind is important then the DC reels own. There is important to add that when you have the water up to your waist or chest, then your ability to cast is in some way limited. I do have another reels for that kind of fishing , mostly Shimanos at this time like TEDC 201 and CQ101, but I think the Exsence DC if a very good choice ( Calais/Antares owners forgive me). I usually do go with my TEDC 201 if the rod I am using is longer due balance issues.

I do had another reels for that kind of fishing, like abu 2500 , abu 5500 CS Rocket, zillion, Lunas , CVZ, several curados , old calcuttas B and I had tested some new revos as well.

Well on the other hand most of the reels with that price tag, should work good for you.

Reg /T

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:03 am

I was going to use my Calcutta 100B and my Conquest 100 but instead of using reels with so much metal, I have decided to use my 2 Citica 200E'S on Loomis MBR843's. They are good solid reels that won't break the bank and with 30# braid, you should have more than enough line capacity.

sacalaitman
Angler
Angler

Post by sacalaitman » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:26 pm

I disagree with buster as per daiwa zillions on bull redfish. I fish in Louisiana and catch my fair share of reds. I never found my zillions felt lacking in power when fighting large fish. I fish light line (12lb) and medium or medium light rods. I just purchased a t3 1016 and that thing casts like a dream. No fish on it yet due to the cold weather.

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:34 pm

I fish for Specks and Reds at Hilton Head and use two reels, Calcutta 200te and a Zillion type R.

The Zillion Type R had plenty of drag (16lbs), but more importantly it is smooth, and works perfect for those Specks. I added a longer handle on mine for better leverage.

I liked the Calcutta for Reds, especially when you catch a teen the goes on a long run, the spool capacity comes in handy, since my drag is set lightly.