SW lures crossover as big swimbaits

Discussions focused on the pursuit of saltwater species
dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

SW lures crossover as big swimbaits

Post by dragon1 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:52 pm

Anyone have experience with, or favorite "SW" lures that crossover well as big bass swimbaits?

Thanks in advance.

Lunker_Punker
Angler
Angler

Re: SW lures crossover as big swimbaits

Post by Lunker_Punker » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:09 pm

dragon1 wrote:Anyone have experience with, or favorite "SW" lures that crossover well as big bass swimbaits?

Thanks in advance.
There are a lot of guys out there using wooden plugs designed for surf/striper applications to put the hurting on LMB. I have used the smaller metal lip swimmers with moderate success. My favorite is RM Smith's Peanut swimmer. He is now selling them all rigged up for fresh water because of the success people have had with them. Not trying to promote the guys business or anything, but he makes a nice plug.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:17 pm

Kool, thank you!

Native
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Native » Sun May 05, 2013 5:50 pm

I know a little late but Choopy Lures are also great in that category, classic 3-4" pike and Danny style lures in, get this, 3/4 to 1 1/4 oz.. Precision Tackle carries them ...

cst
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cst » Mon May 06, 2013 3:06 am

dragon1 wrote:Anyone have experience with, or favorite "SW" lures that crossover well as big bass swimbaits?

Thanks in advance.
It doesn't sound like something I'd have much confidence in. The SW seen here in So Cal has historically used two different baits. One is "iron" or a "jig" while the other is a "swimbait."

Iron are separated into "surface iron" and "yo-yo iron." They're essentially oversized flat sided spoons with a single treble attached via welded ring or a large fixed single hook. Bass usually bite head first and these baits have hooks in the back. Saltwater fish here don't jump out of the water like largemouth. I think largemouth would just have too much leverage with this type of bait.

We use swimbaits too. It's a very basic setup of a lead head and plastic fish tail. These are already available for freshwater and aren't really a big bait. Most big soft baits have evolved and are improvements of this type of bait anyway. Big Hammers are great baits though and even from shore, I catch a lot of bass on this style of bait and would expect to do even better with them from a boat. The 3" and 4" are my best producers but they're available all the way up to 9".

Then there are your standard trolling baits and the new stuff that Shimano has released over the last few years. Baits like the Rapala Magnum have been around forever while the Butterfly jigs and Lucanus are just too specialized for deep water applications.

Lawaia
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Lawaia » Mon May 06, 2013 9:07 am

There are several SW Striper lures that I use out here on the beaches in Northern California I’ve caught LMB with. Like Native said, there are several “metal lip” swimmers that you can use. Small Danny’s, Pikies, Surfsters although they are considered surface swimmers,they will work. My favorite wooden SW Striper plugs for LMB are a small metal lip “river pikie” made by a builder in Pacifica and Greenpoint 3/4 oz Handcarve Swimmer.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:16 am

Thank you gents.