DISTANCE FISHING

Discussions focused on the pursuit of saltwater species
fish2light
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

DISTANCE FISHING

Post by fish2light » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:20 pm

what kind of set up a person needs to cast 100+ft. Bucktail,plug or piece of lead? Theirs allot of Rods out their but what’s the best loading rod from the best Baitcaster or spinning reel? That will do the Job with out having to spin twist and pull something, I’m in my middle 30’s and willing to learn how to recast.
I have read is some Blogs 8’6 and 9ft some say 11ft, if there is a magic height to cast 100+ feet?

Buying $480 8’6 rod has not gotten me their,

I would like to know all suggestions are welcome

thank you

lpquick
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: DISTANCE FISHING

Post by lpquick » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:21 pm

That’s a loaded question, you’re only talking 34yds that’s not far, just outside of comfortable pithing range for a good caster. Why don’t you elaborate a little more about what you’re trying to do. Start off with fresh, salt or inshore fishing and for which species. Need to know the weight range of baits, type line you plan on using & lb. test. Do you have any budget constraints, are you fishing from a boat or shore. Given that info, we can most likely offer up a number of options for you.

fish2light
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fish2light » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:12 am

That’s a loaded question, you’re only talking 34yds that’s not far, just outside of comfortable pithing range for a good caster. Why don’t you elaborate a little more about what you’re trying to do. Start off with fresh, salt or inshore fishing and for which species. Need to know the weight range of baits, type line you plan on using & lb. test. Do you have any budget constraints, are you fishing from a boat or shore. Given that info, we can most likely offer up a number of options for you.

Your right that's allot :) ,

I'm trying to cast 100ft, with 30lb power pro super slick. with 2oz to 3oz bucktails. The species are the ones in FL Reds, Jacks, blues...does not matter just want to get out far so that way I can get my lure in the zone where the big fish will see it.
$1500 is my budget but I'm willing to go as high as $2,000, not to eat the fish, but for sport only! I rarely eat fish I like Wild game. I'm only going to be fishing from Shore that's why I'm crying about getting out so far. thank you for your time :big grin:

fish2light
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fish2light » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:53 pm

Are Surf fisherman are using Trinidad A, Tranx. They have some really cool video's with the shimano reps using them, has anyone one used them for over 100 days? Both? witch is better quality? which cast farther? witch gives less stress on hands?

fish2light
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fish2light » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:31 am

found something very interesting, Modifying reels to make the spool spin faster that way you can get greater distance in a cast.

I'd like to see more video if any has any that would be nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sggIfTJBEWc

Also pro's con's of Modifying Trinidad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8W0MWh5lqk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=en ... ICxAo&NR=1

deepblack
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by deepblack » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:45 pm

Are you sure you don't mean 100 metres? 100ft really isn't very far. To be honest, 100m is a benchmark cast when it comes to surf fishing and high speed spin, 100ft on the other hand is substandard when it comes to shore fishing with the weights you are talking about. And dude, you still haven't said what you are trying to achieve. And please don't take offence at this but throwing big money at the problem isn't necessarily going to fix it. Start with the basics and go from there.
Cheers,
John.

fish2light
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fish2light » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:29 am

No offense taken, My mind set was buy the most expansive thing and you can’t go wrong; It’s hard to reach 100FT with 8’6 1oz or 2oz spinning gear. I’m 5’8 and 180lb willing at this point to try to start from the being just to get out 100ft.

My Goal is to throw 2 or 3oz bucktails 100ft than 200ft the next year.
What kind of rod, reel is going to do the job? Something that’s dependable and I’ll find parts for if I need to.

Redfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Redfish » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:28 pm

I am still a little confused myself...I can throw a 1 oz rattle trap about 60 yards (180' approx) with my zillion coastal and 7' Dobyns mh Champ. 100' is not a long distance at all and I would imagine anyone could do it with the weights you are talking about. Are you sure you dont mean 100 yards?

deepblack
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by deepblack » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:55 am

fish2light wrote: It’s hard to reach 100FT with 8’6 1oz or 2oz spinning gear.
Mate,
No, it's not as I said 100ft is substandard. IF you have the correct gear correctly set up and the correct technique. You still need to tell us the exact gear you have and your target species before anyone can be of any help to you.

fish2light
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fish2light » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:40 am

Mate,
No, it's not as I said 100ft is substandard. IF you have the correct gear correctly set up and the correct technique. You still need to tell us the exact gear you have and your target species before anyone can be of any help to you.

The Gear that I’ve got is 8’6 G.loomis IMX surf rod ½ to 3oz reel is sustain 5000 using 30lb power pro. The species am trying to target amber jack,black ,bass ,cobia snapper , permit Florida, spotted trout ,bluefish flounder and tarpon.

Finished reading a book fishing with buck tails and from what I've learned I could catch just about any predatory species.The problem is I ordered my fishing Rod before I ordered the book, the book talks about getting an 11 foot Rod in order to achieve great distances.Is it true you need an 11 foot lot in order to get out where the fish are?

The Rod feels almost like a bass Rod it doesn't load as well so it takes time getting used to; although I've been fishing with the for two months now it feels like I have to re-just myself on every cast it's like a learning curve the best way to describe it is almost like a brand-new leather shoe that hasn't been broken in yet.

lpquick
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by lpquick » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:17 am

I think you need to reduce the stiffness & diameter of your fishing line. I would use 30# leader or heavier attached to the plug via an open loop design as to give the lure the most freedom to move. I would use something along the lines of 12 - 18 # pound mono like Moimoi’s Hi-Catch tied to swivel to help alleviate line twist and to give you greater distance. You can run the recommended length of leader needed for the species you’re targeting at the time. I would wade from shore as far as possible. Make sure your line is loaded all the way to the stop line on the spool for best distance, don’t over wind line on the spool because it will tangle on you. Next I would also spend a little time watching the locals, strike up a conversation and watch them cast, check out the best casters and see which gear they are using, also pay attention to how they cast and see if you can pick on any pointers. Then practice, practice, practice until it’s second nature and then if you are still not getting enough distance I would go with a longer rod (9 - 11’). I say all this because I firmly believe the gear you are using is capable of casting well over 100’, so it’s either your line, your technique the wind and maybe the plug. I used to go surf fishing at night for stripers in New England during my youth, great memories. Let us know how it goes from there.

fish2light
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fish2light » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:30 am

Thanks for the advices I'll work on it.

deepblack
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by deepblack » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:48 pm

All of the above is rock solid information plus alternatively you could use 20lb braid with a good leader knot (PR knot springs to mind) making sure your spool is full as mentioned this is the biggest distance killer for spin reels other than too large a diameter line and poor technique. Your gear is more than up to the challenge. Due to the strain involved with throwing big weights a long way make sure you use a long shock leader with a couple of wraps around the spool to avoid break offs during the cast.

fish2light
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fish2light » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:20 pm

thank you all for the wonderful advice

Lunker_Punker
Angler
Angler

Post by Lunker_Punker » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:58 pm

fish2light wrote:
what kind of set up a person needs to cast 100+ft. Bucktail,plug or piece of lead? Theirs allot of Rods out their but what’s the best loading rod from the best Baitcaster or spinning reel? That will do the Job with out having to spin twist and pull something, I’m in my middle 30’s and willing to learn how to recast.
I have read is some Blogs 8’6 and 9ft some say 11ft, if there is a magic height to cast 100+ feet?

Buying $480 8’6 rod has not gotten me their,

I would like to know all suggestions are welcome

thank you
What kind of fishing are you doing? What are the conditions? And most importantly what is your budget? I do a lot of surf fishing targeting stiped bass and bluefish mainly, and when distance matters i use a 10' 6" St Croix mojo surf paired with either a Stradic 6000, or Penn battle 6000 loaded with 40# suffix 832. The rod is rated 3/4-4 oz. and i can launch a 2 oz buck tail half way to Portugal. well, maybe not quite that far, but 100 yds without breaking sweat. This is the rod i reach for when fish are feeding way out past the sand bar, or when fishing big surf. Under normal conditions i have found my 8' 6", and 9' rods fit the bill nicely.