Best inshore low profile baitcasters?

Discussions focused on the pursuit of saltwater species
C0BRA
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Best inshore low profile baitcasters?

Post by C0BRA » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:47 pm

pinoyboykev wrote:The zillion coastal looks like a great inshore reel, but I am a little worried with the drag. The zillion type r looks better, but I would rather have the pluton for that money to target kings and bonita.
The drag on the Zillion Coastal is plenty for inshore fishing. I'd be more worried about capacity if not using braid. And yes, for the money and your intended use, the Pluton would be the better pick.

Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Mcyl » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:34 pm

Ever considered the revos? The StX is quite versatile with the inshore having even more capacity and a 2nd cranking handle. Monstered fish like that usually run hard with a cheap rod like a berkeley dropshot. For a kayak reel that's fished hard and knocked about I recommend it highly. I haven't seen or heard of one blowing up....yet.

pinoyboykev
Angler
Angler

Post by pinoyboykev » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:03 am

I think the zillion coastal would be fine for snook and reds, but how about long running fish like bonita and king mackerel? Is the drag smooth and buttery, or sharp and abrupt? I have looked at the revos, they are enticing and Im eyeing the revo inshore gen 3, but I won't make a decision on that until I can see and feel one in my hands. Revo inshore's drag is nice, but I think for the money I would rather buy the lexa or curado 300 for the line capacity and the ability to toss some big metal lures.

C0BRA
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by C0BRA » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:53 am

The Zillion Coastal would be fine for bonita, but I think you'd like the added capacity and power of the Curado 300 for king mackerel. However, I think you'd be pushing the limits of the reel. If I was targeting king mackerel, I'd step it up a notch to a Tranx or smaller conventional like the Shimano Trinidad 14.

pinoyboykev
Angler
Angler

Post by pinoyboykev » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:22 pm

How about those new revo toro nacl 50? Seems like a good combination of high capacity with LP size / good drag.

ING
Angler
Angler

Post by ING » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:36 pm

Revo Inshore, Revo STX, Revo Toro.
18-20lb drag, brass gear, smooth, strong, elegant, great prices... Reels for life...

Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Mcyl » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:07 am

pinoyboykev wrote:How about those new revo toro nacl 50? Seems like a good combination of high capacity with LP size / good drag.
They're pretty cool, essentially the JDM Salty Stage LJ-3.
A buddy of mine loaded the 60size with 20lb braid, 100M 20lb top shot then leader and went game fishing with it.

jimbojr
Angler
Angler

Post by jimbojr » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:02 am

If I could only have one inshore reel it would be a Cuado 300.

Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Mcyl » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:48 am

My Exsence DC, I think that'll will be a great reel, metanium sized, Revo inshore weight, latest DC....and for me, the perfect line capacity (I go for very long, very thin more than winching fish up)

C0BRA
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by C0BRA » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:05 pm

Mcyl wrote:My Exsence DC, I think that'll will be a great reel, metanium sized, Revo inshore weight, latest DC....and for me, the perfect line capacity (I go for very long, very thin more than winching fish up)
I am seriously considering the Exscence DC as my next purchase. Looks like it has all the things I'm looking for.

BassMan33
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by BassMan33 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:49 pm

I just got the Exsence DC and its by far the best reel I have ever owned.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:04 pm

New Antares is a no no for SW...one of our TT members noted that there is noticeable corrosion on the inside of his Antares HG, albeit the exterior shows no signs of SW corrosion.

Just an FYI.

Speckled
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Speckled » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:02 am

dragon1 wrote:New Antares is a no no for SW...one of our TT members noted that there is noticeable corrosion on the inside of his Antares HG, albeit the exterior shows no signs of SW corrosion.

Just an FYI.

Well that is a "downer" :( , Van.

Looked on JapanTackle's site and it clearly states "Freshwater only". With the prices getting better for JDM, this was one reel that I was looking to maybe pick up soon. Either this or the new Metanium or Exsence DC reel :-k .

Might still pick up the new Antares and just use it in freshwater, like I do with my other "freshwater only" reels (Steez, Alpha-Ito and TDZ-Ito).

Been waiting on a review from the TT staff on the New Antares, but what do we get? A review on the recently released Lexa :doh: ](*,) . Nice reel, checked one out at Academy the other day. But it is no JDM top of the line product from either Shimano or Daiwa. Sure would like to hear a review on the newer reels from Shimano Japan with the "micro-gearing". :-({|= LOL...

Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Mcyl » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:46 pm

My "Best Inshore Low Profile Reel" rankings

1. Revo Toro 50 Nacl HS
2. Shimano Exsence DC.
3. no LP but small enough: Calcutta Conquest 50/51
4. Daiwa Zillion PE special.
5. Abu revo LT

doublethree
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by doublethree » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:41 am

Does Revo LT have enough line capacity for inshore fishing?
Mcyl wrote:My "Best Inshore Low Profile Reel" rankings

1. Revo Toro 50 Nacl HS
2. Shimano Exsence DC.
3. no LP but small enough: Calcutta Conquest 50/51
4. Daiwa Zillion PE special.
5. Abu revo LT