Need a conventional reel for Salmon, Halibut, and Stripers

Discussions focused on the pursuit of saltwater species
zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Need a conventional reel for Salmon, Halibut, and Stripers

Post by zodiak311 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:39 pm

TT,
I just started saltwater fishing again, and although they are built like tanks, I was exhausted from using my Penn Senator 2/0 and 3/0. The star drag was fairly hard to adjust while fighting the fish and the drag wasn't holding up, (might need to change it). Planning to upgrade.

Not looking for a massive reel, here are things I am looking for:
1. CRANKING power
2. under $400
3. will be used on charter boats for Halibut, Salmon, Rock Cod, and Stripers
4. Durability
5. no level wind, preferably

I had a buddy offer to sell me his used Newell s229-5 for sixty bucks as well, never used that reel before. Was also thinking about just upgrading the drags on my Penns and putting a power handle on them.

Any suggestions on reels and the ideal size (spool capacity) that I will need? Thanks! :big grin:
Get your kids hooked on fishing, and they'll never have any money for drugs or alcohol.

C0BRA
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Need a conventional reel for Salmon, Halibut, and Stripe

Post by C0BRA » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:23 pm

You have plenty of options with a $400 budget.

All of the reels below are single speed in either star or lever drag, have strong frames and internals, and have great factory support. They are all beasts. The size depends on the rod and whether or not you plan to use braid, mono, or braid w/ mono topshot. They are all great reels and will last you a lifetime. Some of these reels are a little over $400 retail and some are a lot less. They can all be found within your budget w/ some diligent surfing:

Accurate BX400 or BX400N
Shimano Trinidad A 14 or 16N
Avet SX or MX
Daiwa Saltiga 20, 30 or 30T
Okuma Cedros 10 or 12
Fin-Nor Marquesa 12, 16, or 20

I have had or have fished with all of them for the same fish you will be using them for. They won't break a sweat with any of those fish. My favorites are the Accurates and Shimano Trinidads (both new "A" and older gold model). Okuma and Fin-Nor have definitely stepped their game up with those two models. Happy shopping :mrgreen:

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:43 pm

Thanks for all the info! Another reel I am looking into as well, is a Calcutta 400bsv without the levelwind.

I am also digging the thought of a Saltist as well. Any experience with lever drags vs star drags, pros and cons of either one? I have no experience with lever drags. I heard that you have to be careful with them since you can sometimes lock down to much on the drag, resulting in snapped line and lost fish.
Get your kids hooked on fishing, and they'll never have any money for drugs or alcohol.

darrin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by darrin » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:03 am

Is there a particular reason you don't want the level wind? For your uses, a level wind reel would work fine. For those fish, I use a Calcutta 300 or a Millionaire 400. Both reels hold plenty of line, are tough and really smooth. In fact, I use my Millionaire 203 as well. I spool up with 30lb braid and have not had any problems. For cheaper alternatives, Penn 320s or ABUs are workhorses as well.

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:32 am

I ended up getting a Saltist 30H and paired it with a custom Calstar, for Salmon mooching. Man! I am very happy with my purchase. Have caught multiple Salmon on it from 15-28lbs. Drag is smooth, cranking power is decent with the higher gear ratio, and the reel is pretty light as well. For a lever drag reel, its performance and price seems pretty hard to beat.
I wanted a reel without a level wind because jelly fish get caught on my line a lot, and makes a hot mess in the levelwind and worm gear of the reel. Less parts equal less headaches for me.

C0BRA
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by C0BRA » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:39 pm

Nice choice ... and a very nice price on those too. Workhorse of a reel!