Combo for Pompano from the beach

Discussions focused on the pursuit of saltwater species
BamaBulldawg
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Combo for Pompano from the beach

Post by BamaBulldawg » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:27 pm

Looking to buy a setup to target Pompano off the beach in Destin, FL. What do you recommend?

I'm clueless with saltwater stuff like length rod needed, power of rod needed etc.

I'd prefer to use artificial baits and would probably prefer a baitcasting type reel (Calcutta, ABU round reel, etc.) unless you guys advise otherwise. Thank you in advance!

wnyBob
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Combo for Pompano from the beach

Post by wnyBob » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:31 am

BamaBulldawg wrote:Looking to buy a setup to target Pompano off the beach in Destin, FL. What do you recommend?

I'm clueless with saltwater stuff like length rod needed, power of rod needed etc.

I'd prefer to use artificial baits and would probably prefer a baitcasting type reel (Calcutta, ABU round reel, etc.) unless you guys advise otherwise. Thank you in advance!
I’d go with a minimum 10’ rod to start with. Then establish your preference after that. Min 10’ is what was recommended to me when I first started, and you will soon see why. It’s a matter of physical science and arc and leverage on the cast. Then some guys end up going longer, but a 10’ will keep you happy and competitive for a long time. Then I’d start out with the lower range of lure weight ratings. There’s no industry standard so all the makers rate them a little different, but in the 3/4oz - 4oz; 1oz - 3oz; 1oz - 4oz lure weight range. Which then typically has a 8 - 20# or 10 - 25# line rating and a Med power no more than MH and Mod Fast action, again depending on how the mfg rates them. The thought being that a decent rod will then toss a weight to the upper limits of the range and probably plus an oz or so yet still be good for the lower limits. But a heavier rod i.e. 4 - 6oz; 4 - 8oz, would then struggle to go to the lower limits of the range, reducing your versatility. All that makes a very nice all around rod. And pompano aren’t typically that big of a fish so well within the rate of the rod and those rods would still handle a lunker if you got lucky occasionally. You’re not going to snag a tuna from shore. Maybe a shark. Think in terms of the lure weight as what they call weight and bait. Thinking of live bait or artificial live bait imitations which weighs next to nothing, plus a 3 oz or 4 oz sinker. then of course a actual lure tells you the weight. I started out with a good rod and an inexpensive reel until I got the hang of it and have since upgraded the reel but a good rod lasts forever. I have a St. Croix Premier 10’ M power, Mod F action ¾ - 4 rating. But for less money Tica and Tsunami make decent rods that people like as well as some other mfgs. Heck some people if they’re on a real budget catch fish just the same on walmart rods or ugly stiks. lol For $40. bucks if it breaks toss it and get another one. lol

I use spinning at the surf rather than casting. But obviously the Calcuttas are nice reels and Abu makes nice reels. I use both a Calcutta and an Abu in baitcasting on musky rods, same principal and wouldn’t switch. Other than you need to keep reels clean from the sand and salt. Avet reels have a big salt following. I just happened to choose spinning for the surf because that’s what I use for other fresh water, other than musky, and I use spinning for salt inshore rigs plus that’s what the guys I know use at the surf. And I’m happy. I use almost exclusively Penns. For spinning the Sargus, inexpensive but highly rated and a true tried and true workhorse, that’s what I started with. Then I have Slammers, and a Battle too. Can’t recommend a certain model but Penn has some casting reels too. I mention Penn because Salt is their business and from their med priced to better reels you seldom see bad reviews.

BamaBulldawg
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by BamaBulldawg » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:47 pm

Excellent information, thank you! I ordered an Abu 6500 C3 CT Mag Elite today. I'll probably see what BPS has to offer for the rod. Thanks again!

wnyBob
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by wnyBob » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:34 am

BamaBulldawg wrote:Excellent information, thank you! I ordered an Abu 6500 C3 CT Mag Elite today. I'll probably see what BPS has to offer for the rod. Thanks again!
Good choice on the reel. Nice reel. The C3s have been aound the block. I forgot to mention size of reel. 6000s on a 10' rod will balance good.

BamaBulldawg
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by BamaBulldawg » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:25 pm

I have a Spheros 8000 and a Penn 6500SS I bought a while ago. What length rod would be best for them? 10' too? Do you throw plugs/lures or bait mostly and which type of reel is better for each application?

wnyBob
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by wnyBob » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:47 am

BamaBulldawg wrote:I have a Spheros 8000 and a Penn 6500SS I bought a while ago. What length rod would be best for them? 10' too? Do you throw plugs/lures or bait mostly and which type of reel is better for each application?
The best way to find out about baits is to go walk the beach in the area you’ll be and stop and talk to guys. Or stop into a couple of tackle shops on the coast. Most tackle shop people give you the straight scoop. They may blow a little smoke about how good the catch is. I’m not sure I’ve ever stopped in one and the person says how smoking the bite is, and I’m like well how come I’m not catching any fish or anyone near me? lol But they’ll give you the skinny on baits and help you with a rig. But you’ll find guys on the beach a talkative bunch for the most part. Some you’re sorry you asked by the time they’re done bending your ear. But they’ll even show you their rigs and how to rig it if you ask right down to the size hooks. Or if the bite is good, just hang out and watch what they’re doing and catching. Usually live baits, mostly shrimp, crabs, sand fleas on the Atlantic side, it still depends, could be cut mullet. But still it can vary a lot by location and by target fish. Some areas lures are big. There’s no one catch all of I’m going to the coast what should I use. I go almost exclusively to the NE Fla coast north of Jacksonville and live bait is all anyone uses or gulp. But other areas of Fla the structure and drop offs and fish can be quite different. And the NW gulf side will be somewhat different yet with different fish.

Rod lengths at a point, turn into a personal preference and what you’re used to. Same with the weight ratings. So it’s hard to say. I see guys swear by 11 and 12 footers. But also not sure what their application always is. I still think getting started a 10’ is fine and some people wouldn’t switch just because someone else says they like longer. Plus a 10’ with a ¾ - 3 or 1 – 4 rating makes the best all around rod until you develop a need for different applications and different target fish. Surf nuts own them all. That’s like the debate on 6’6” to 8’ bass rods in 6” increments and ML to M to MH. To each is own.

I think the 6000 range reels are good for most surf rods. A 8000 is starting to get a tad large. But they sell them, so depends on the application and what the Shimano physical size and reel weight is. Not all 6000s or 8000s are created equal. Also line capacity is import to a lot of guys, but still that depends on the water you’re fishing in and if you expect to latch onto a monster that will run your line. Like I have a 6000 penn sargus but went to a 550 on a penn slammer.

Don’t know whether this is appropriate for here or not but find the site pier and surf forums. Pier and surf dot com. I won’t post the link. You’ll get a lot more action than here for salt water. It’s all salt. And they have a specific area section for all up and down the east coast where someone is going to either live or fish near where you’re going. You get good poop. BUT, remember on a forum take the middle of the road because there are always guys that the way they do it or gear they use is the best way and no other way. Like this board on the reel and rods sections. Try go saying I’m looking at these rods or reels and only want to spend i.e. $100 - $150. Inevitably someone will say no you must spend double or three times that amount. i.e. if you say Stradic someone will say no get a Sustain. They can be free with your money. lol And of course there is nothing wrong at all with Stradic for it’s price point.

BamaBulldawg
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by BamaBulldawg » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:44 pm

This is all excellent, thank you!