What is your choice for inshore rods?

Discussions focused on the pursuit of saltwater species
StevieD
Angler
Angler

What is your choice for inshore rods?

Post by StevieD » Fri May 25, 2012 10:52 am

Looking to revamp my inshore lineup and was curious what everyone uses. Also if anyone knows of anything due to come out this summer at ICAST relating to new inshore rods and/or models....thanks!
Tight lines and screaming drags....

wnyBob
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: What is your choice for inshore rods?

Post by wnyBob » Sat May 26, 2012 11:11 am

I just got a St. Croix Avid Inshore 7’6” M F last winter. Love it. nice rod. When I was looking for another Inshore rod I narrowed it down to a Teramar SE and the St. Croix. I waffled for a long time but ultimately sprung for the St. Croix. With that said the Teramar does have good reviews. But I hadn’t had a chance to handle one and finally found some comments that they were a tad on the heavy side and a tad stiffer than the St. Croix. I made a good choice for me. If money is an issue then think about the Teramar or some others. Another Inshore rod that I do have, is a Cabela’s Salt Striker Inshore. Again they are a tad heavy and a tad stiff compared to the expensive rods, but for $89.00 bucks or whatever they are, Cabela’s contracts out good rods with generally always good reviews. It is the “safe” bet.

Then of course if money is really an issue there is always the Ugly Stiks. lol Well no kidding. I always poo pooed the Ugly Stiks, but needed something last Winter/early spring cheap. I had never pier fished, and had a pier near me and wanted to try it. I didn’t know whether I’d like it, never bother again, etc. so I got this Ugly Stik Big Water and let me tell ya I was impressed for my lousy $40+ bucks. lol I’d get another one if I have a need or want more rods for guests or whatever.

TheDarkKnight
Angler
Angler

Post by TheDarkKnight » Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:07 pm

I suppose it depends upon what you are fishing for, what bait/lures you will be tossing, your price point, etc.... ...Teramars do feel a bit heavy - they use a graphite - t glass combination in the blanks ..... They are good for plugging tarpon and big snook here in FL and can be used for numerous other species and applications ... .
Last edited by TheDarkKnight on Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mickeyfin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by mickeyfin » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:10 pm

I'm using a Shimano crucial 711H. Liked it so much I bought a 2nd one. Fishing them with a curado 200e7, & 300dsv for 10-15#. Recently added a terez wax wing 80mh for 20# and a curado 300ej reel. All 3 are terrific with plastics for local s/w bass and can handle the surprise white sea bass, halibut and yellowtail.
Dropper loop tackle is a calstar 700m with either a newell 522 or daiwa 30 saltiga and 30# line. Fly line and sliding sinker tackle is a penn 525 mag or newell 322 with the above terez, calstar 800L or a Phenix 808mh.
I take 5 of these rigs for my Channel Island Ca. charters. Last week we racked up 30 white sea bass in 2 hours I used the calstar 700m and newell 522
go gettum, Mick

BamaBulldawg
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by BamaBulldawg » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:59 pm

I bought my first inshore rod today actually. I looked at the TFO, Terramar SE, Mojo inshore, Compre, and Penn Legion. The first 3 were a little heavy like others have said and the Penn was nice but went with the Shimano because it just felt good. The blank was thing for a MH and the handle had a great profile. Not too short or long, just right. The rod has backbone but the top half has a soft but authoritative flex to it. I got the 7'6" MH and put a Spheros 4000 on it. Plan to use it for pompano jigs in the surf.

jkreimer
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by jkreimer » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:06 pm

For spinning I use 2 7-6 St Croix Legend Elite rods with 3000 Sustains with 10-15 lb braid and a 20-25 lb flouro leader, one in med, the other in med-lt. I also just got a Conquest 100 DC and matched it with a St Croix 7 ml Legend Inshore rod, that seems to cover anything I need here in the creeks and ICW....Also I do have an 8 ft med act Avid Inshore with a 4000 Sustain with 40 lb braid for bait fishing with 1/2 crabs and large chunks of ladyfish or mullet. But day in, day out, the lighter stuff gets the job done....

beezy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by beezy » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:57 pm

BamaBulldawg wrote:I bought my first inshore rod today actually. I looked at the TFO, Terramar SE, Mojo inshore, Compre, and Penn Legion. The first 3 were a little heavy like others have said and the Penn was nice but went with the Shimano because it just felt good. The blank was thing for a MH and the handle had a great profile. Not too short or long, just right. The rod has backbone but the top half has a soft but authoritative flex to it. I got the 7'6" MH and put a Spheros 4000 on it. Plan to use it for pompano jigs in the surf.
That's an excellent buy right there. That 7'6" mh teramar is my brother's FAVORITE rod. No matter what expensive rods he buys and trust me, he buys very expensive rods...he always comes back and uses that rod. It's his go-to rod for live bait or any saltwater applications. He has about 10 of those teramar rods in the 7'6" and 8' models. Yet, even he says that he can't find another rod that can match that 7'6" teramar in terms of comfortability, balance and price point. I have to admit that he's right because I fished that rod and I really like it as well. The one thing that I didn't like on those teramar rods that my brother loves is the handle length. I can't really stand using rods with long handles except for swimbait rods. However, my brother turns down rods whose handle lengths are TOO short aka bass rods. But anyways, great choice of rod. I know it will give you years of enjoyment.

C0BRA
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by C0BRA » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:56 am

I like salmon rods for inshore use. Especially the Lamiglas XMG's and Certified Pro's. The Shimano Cumaras that are on sale practically everywhere are also a great choice.

frogman1963
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by frogman1963 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:16 am

X2 on Shimanos