Calcutta 200GT TE for Stripers?

Discussions focused on the pursuit of saltwater species
robxc80
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Calcutta 200GT TE for Stripers?

Post by robxc80 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:44 pm

Hello,

I'm not much of a SW fisherman but I do want to start hitting the charters for Stripers off the NJ coast. My question is, will a Calcutta 200GT TE be big enough and hold enough line? I'm not sure what lb test I should use or what but i was thinking 30lb braid.

Also, what rod should i get? Was thinking Loomis Pro Blue 843C. Can I use my existing MBR 844C GLX?

Any help is appreciated. I'd like to minimize my money outlay if possible. Thanks.

C0BRA
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Calcutta 200GT TE for Stripers?

Post by C0BRA » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:48 pm

The 200GT will be plenty for stripers, but I'm not sure if it's best suited for the techniques you guys will use on the east coast. If you can find out a little more about how you will be fishing we can better help you out with the line and rod choices.

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:10 pm

I use a Calcutta DC for Stripers and Reds. It holds plenty of line...especially if you pack it full of braid which I recommend for saltwater...
stress-what happens between fishing trips

l2yan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by l2yan » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:50 am

The 200 is plenty for stripers if you're using braid. Maybe not so much if you're trying to pack on 20# mono... :lol:
www.BigSmallieTackle.com
www.HeroesOnTheWater.org

darrin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by darrin » Sun May 06, 2012 9:51 am

If using braid, you should have no problem. However, make sure to use a long leader to protect your braid from nicks and cuts. I'm from the west coast, and the way we fish stripers here may be different from how you do it. When we drift the rock piles, I'm always afraid of the rigs getting hung up. Popping braid is not something I enjoy...The 844 may be underpowered for the sometimes heavy weights and for large stripers. I use a HSR982 and a Millionaire 400 or Calcutta 300. I usually use 20 - 25 lb mono. I do use braid on occasion, when the drifts are really fast. Then I make sure the dropper line to the sinker is like 12lb mono, so if I get snagged, the weight pops off.

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Wed May 09, 2012 8:49 pm

I know this is a bit old. But. If your fishing Jersey waters from a boat.......If you are snagging and dropping bunker. You can dump the reel just on the cast itself.....Same goes if you're throwing metals and plugs.

Not too mention that there are tons of 40 and 50lb bass around, which are a common occurance. They most likely won't dump ya. But if you hook up 50 yards out....you may run into some trouble.

I spooled up with 40lb super slick on a dc 200 and only got 110 yards. The deepest you'll be fising is around 60-70 feet so thats not too much of a concern but........

Me... I want 200-250 of 40-60lb braid. On a plugging setup/ snag and drop....and can deal with a little less for jigging.

Pick up a cheap used abu 6500, upgrade the bearings, and slap some carbontex washers in it. Spool it with 50lb braid. And you'll be good to go with a bulletproof baitcaster.......

Oh...and I forgot to mention.....If there is current.......You will get dumped on a30- 40lb fish....which when livelining bunker is pretty much a 1/15 chance......And if a school of that class fish are around...you can pick up a dozen in that size range in an afternoon, with no problems.

Or nix the levelwind and pick up an avet or trinidad.....Both monster casters.....