Spinning or Conventional reel?

Discussions focused on the pursuit of saltwater species
Jinz000
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Spinning or Conventional reel?

Post by Jinz000 » Sat Aug 30, 2003 3:18 pm

I would like to do shore saltwater fishing in the pacific ocean for small sharks, some sturgeons, that require great great casting distance.

Which type of reel would allow me to cast the furthest. I'm a quick and very patient learner so degree of difficulty is not a problem.

The rod i'll be using with it is the Tica UEHA 12'.

For now I have my sights on the Penn 525 Mag or the ABU 7001LH (left hand)
since im a lefty.

THEGAME
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Spinning or Conventional reel?

Post by THEGAME » Mon Sep 01, 2003 8:32 am

The two reels you mentioned should be great. I have an Okuma Epixor 50 spooled with Power Pro 30# line.It will cast a 2 oz weight a long long way.100 yards +

justgopen
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by justgopen » Tue Sep 02, 2003 3:13 pm

Game,

Do you use the standard or the Epixor baitfeeding models?

echow87
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by echow87 » Tue Sep 02, 2003 3:15 pm

100 yards+?

You gotta be kidding me because I myself cant even get 50 ft. with 60lb monofilament and a 5 oz weight with a #8 hook. Are you sure you can get it as far as 100 yards? or do you mean 100 ft.

If you do get it pretty far out, can you tell me step by step howd you did it.

justgopen
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by justgopen » Tue Sep 02, 2003 3:17 pm

Yeah I'm curious as well. I'm looking into the new Okuma surf reels, becasue I currently use a large Stradic and I can't cast worth a damn.

THEGAME
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by THEGAME » Sun Sep 07, 2003 12:55 pm

You did not misread the post. I have an Okuma Epixor bait feeder spinning reel. Spooled with 30# Power Pro braid. It is on a 10 foot MH Ugly stik. I can cast a 2 oz. weight 100 yards with out a lot of effort.Standing in the parking lot here it is 90 good steps ( strides ) to a block wall that surounds the complex.I can through the weight over the wall.I am a tall person and a good step is an easy 3 1/2 feet. Most of the time I have to stick my finger out into the line as it comes off the reel to slow it down some.Just over the wall is a busy city street. I would hate to through the weight threw someones wind shield.
When I am surf fishing I use a mono shock leader of about 15 feet.Power pro is not very abasion resistant. Contrary to many opinions, mono just does not come off a spinning reel as smoothly as braided line.Power pro and Tuf XP are great lines but I hear the new Stren super braid is even better.
When casting the surf rods I use what is a standerd cast.I hold the rod like a spear. Right hand just above the reel while holding the line with my finger. Left hand at the end of the butt section.The rod and right hand is almost resting on your right shoulder while your left hand and arm is extended out in front of you.Like throwing a javalin.Extend or push up and forward with your right hand and pull down and in with your left arm and hand.The end of the cast your right hand is extended out in front of you and your left is back almost under your left arm pit. Point the rod at the weight as it flies out until it hits the water.Be sure and let go of the line at the proper time so that you get the proper elevation/arc on your weight.You need to have your drag tight when casting. Power pro will cut your finger if the drag slips and the line slips across your finger.Use a leather glove or wrap tape arond your finger to protect your finger.
look up capital long casters,pier and surf forum under distance casting, or the breakaway web site on the web for instruction on some even more powerful casts.There are two other casts. Off the ground cast and the pendulem cast.These cast put a lot of stress on things.Be sure that no one is around while you practice these. If your line breaks the weight has been know to go through car radiators and door panals.
I hope this helps. Its hard to expolain surf casting with just words.
Just for the record. One of the guys on the distance casting site holds a world record of 840 feet. That is 280 yards. I say again 280 YARDS not feet.

Jinz000
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jinz000 » Mon Sep 08, 2003 9:36 am

Thats amazing 100 yards using a spinning. You can also try a hatteras cast which gives you great distance and is safe when others are around.

If you look in the internet you'll be able to find free videos which will show you how to.