Daiwa Saltiga 2-speed or Avet Raptor

Discussions focused on the pursuit of saltwater species
hamneggs
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Daiwa Saltiga 2-speed or Avet Raptor

Post by hamneggs » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:11 pm

I'm having trouble narrowing down the reel that I plan on purchasing for my offshore bluefin and yellowfin / yellowtail fishing out here in Southern California. I hooked into my first yellowtail and got my a$$ handed to me on my lighter set-up (Shimano Trinidad 12A - 20lb test).

I wanted to know what you thought might be a better choice for my first tuna fishing reel. I'm basically looking for the following qualities (as most us anglers tend to look for): a) durability b) drag performance c) casting ability and d) overall weight.

I've played around with the new Daiwa Saltiga's and Avet Raptors at my local tackle store. Just can't seem to pull the trigger on which reel to move forward with. If any of you have any recommendations (whether Saltia / Avet), I would sure appreciate your input. Or if you have any direct experience fishing with these reels, sure would appreciate your thoughts from one angler to another.

Seph
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Daiwa Saltiga 2-speed or Avet Raptor

Post by Seph » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:37 pm

What model # size are you looking at on these?

supersano
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by supersano » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:32 am

Reels that I would recommend for tuna fisheries on the west coast: Accurate BX-600, avet HX, and my personal favorite Saltiga 30T or Trinidad 40N.

supersano
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by supersano » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:34 am

I forgot to ask the first and most important question. What rod are you using?

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:59 pm

What class of fish are we talkin?? 40-60lb or 100lb plus

I Have 4 Talica 16 II's and two torsa 30s on hearty rise and blackhole jigging rods. In various sizes. All with Jerrybrown Hollow. Or Fins metered braid.
Stellas Sw Powergear with 10k spools for spinners.
Stella SW 10k's for popping.
If you plan on jigging forget the avet. The backplay will drive u nuts.

If you want a jigging reel.

Talica
torsa
Alutecnos gorilla
Jigging Master/ Maxcel

Those are the top 4. Then come the Accurates and the Daiwa's and so on and so forth.

If your not experienced in fishing with heavy drag pressures. There are plenty of lesser reels that will hold up fine with 16lbs of drag. Which on fish to 100or so pounds is plenty to get them to gaff with in 30 minutes or less.

Another discussion is...are two speeds even needed in a stand up setup....as even in high gear its very simple to short stroke even 300lb fish with proper technique.

If you're going on a long range trip. Talk to the captain...visit 360tuna.com (tuna jiggers are more fanatical than bass fisherman when it comes to gear) Figure out what methods you'll be using. And go from there. Not too many new saltigas being talked about....Only thing I've really heard about is loss of freespool at moderate drag settings which isn't good.

I spend a decent amount of time offshore about 30 runs (120 mile run to the Hudson Canyons) per season. And never once had a failure with a Talica, Torsa, or the 6 Tiagra 50 w lrsa, or 4 Tiagra 30 lrsa.

The only daiwa on the boat is a MP3000 (3500$) and the first NJ trip it didn't even last the run out. 1000$ repair bill and 6 week turn around.

Sorry if this doesn't read well figured I'd scope out the saltwater part of the site. If I can be of any assistance. PM me on stripers online. I'm the site field tester there for Penn and Shimano. Or 360tuna. I'm the Shimano reel guru there.

Best of luck.