South Padre Island Surf Report.8/23

Discussions focused on the pursuit of saltwater species
THEGAME
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

South Padre Island Surf Report.8/23

Post by THEGAME » Sun Aug 24, 2003 2:56 pm

My family and my brother and sister in law and their daughter all decided to go to the beach Saturday.We did not get started till about 10:00 am and had to stop half a dozen times on the way.So I got on the beach about 2:00 pm.I drove down 5 miles from access #6 and got rigged and ready.Barely got my first rig in the water when the rod started jerking.I was busy getting the other rod out so my wife faught the fish to the bank.LOL The way she was carrying on you would think it was a 50 pound Jack.She did not want her pic took with it so here it is. A small 29 inch Bonnet Shark.
We caught several of these little sharks mixed with hardheads over the next few hours.A little later The wife grabed a rod and laid into it and the line broke. There was very little tension on it so I figure there was a bad place in the line.About an hour later I had a little run on my rod and reeled it in.It was A little Scalloped Hammerhead.He was dragging the rig that had broke off earlier.The two spider weights had got hooked together.
This is not a real good pic. I felt like I knew what the fish was.It looked just like a Bonnet except it was flat across the front with wavey humps, instead of shovel shaped.I noticed it had black tips on the inside of it's pec fins.I looked it up to make sure.
Well The beach is still perfect, the water is crystal clear. You can see a sting ray on the bottom in 4 feet of water, Because I did.He was about the size of a skoal snuff can.When I touched him with the rod tip he bolted.
Well it started getting dark and the family was all about to starve to death. So I put everthing up and called it a day.
Lots and lots of little sharks.Maybe if I had had a big rig out
( which I don't have ) there may have been some bigger sharks.
Oh yea, All sharks were released alive.
LOL

dazzle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: South Padre Island Surf Report.8/23

Post by dazzle » Sun Aug 24, 2003 3:29 pm

Awesome pictures. Looks like you guys had a good day out on the beach.
Watch your fingers. :D

--Daz