New fishing reel!

Discussions focused on the pursuit of saltwater species
Abuman1
Angler
Angler

New fishing reel!

Post by Abuman1 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:54 pm

I'm getting a new steel jig reel for stuff like shimano butterfly jigs. I am probably going to be fishing in 200 feet of water for grouper. I need a spinning reel with high line capacity for under $200.

wnyBob
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: New fishing reel!

Post by wnyBob » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:30 pm

Abuman1 wrote:I'm getting a new steel jig reel for stuff like shimano butterfly jigs. I am probably going to be fishing in 200 feet of water for grouper. I need a spinning reel with high line capacity for under $200.
Go to the Penn site and look at Penn reels. Outstanding salt reputation. But some of them still don't have great reviews. Take a look at the Sargus, which is a bargain sleeper. A plain Jane that will outlast fancier ones. A really good reel for the money is the Penn Slammer. Take a look at that, it has a decent spool size. The Shamano Stradic FI had a good salt reviews, But they're discontinuing it and going with the Stradic FJ. I was just lucky enough to score a Stradic FI for some inshore use before they dried up and the price went up for the FJ. But if you go to Cabela's site or BPS site and read the customer reviews (not just one writer's review but actual users) on the Sargus and the Slammer, they're solid. I'm sure there is a ton of reels for $200. and less. You want high line capacity but you also want one that will live to fish next year too. Generally $200.00 +/- is a generous price point and good stuff is available for that and less.

socalsteez
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by socalsteez » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:45 am

im an avet fan......

chasenbass
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by chasenbass » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:06 am

Nice purchase!

supersano
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by supersano » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:50 pm

How about a quantum cabo spinning reel? Solid reel for offshore jigging.