Spinning Reel for Wade Fishing

Discussions focused on the pursuit of saltwater species
Hulkster
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Spinning Reel for Wade Fishing

Post by Hulkster » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:03 pm

Hello all.

I am in the market for a new spinning reel to go with my 3 peice St. Croix travel rod (7 foot spinning model)

I will be fishing off the beach in the caribbean.

I was thinking of either the shimano Sedona 4000FD or Sahara FD.

I don't want one of the true saltwater reels as they all seem to weigh 20 oz. and I would like to stick with shimano spinners as I am a long time user. I know penn spinfishers are good but they are a little outdated in terms of casting, anti reverse, etc right? built like a tank but maybe not so user friendly.

I am leaning towards the Sahara but I am concerned about the nice aluminum handle. Would it rust quickly?

is the oil port feature a good thing for a reel that gets wet or a bad thing (another place for water to get inside)?

the sahara has the port but the sedona doesn't.

I would be using 12 pound berkely XL.

my budget is around $100. I don't want some thing too expensive as the reel will be used in potentially harsh elements but I don't want something too cheap either that it doesn't work on day two of the trip. LOL

any advice would be greatly appreciated.

-Hulk

Capt Ray
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Spinning Reel for Wade Fishing

Post by Capt Ray » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:05 am

You won't go wrong with either. You may also want to take a look at the Quantum Cabo and Boca series.

bigreddog
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bigreddog » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:31 pm

Aluminum doesn't rust, so that's not going to be the problem. I'd be more worried about the bearings. Also, the reels you mention don't have a sealed waterproof drag, so they won't perform as well if they get dunked in the surf.

I'd recommend lighly rinsing with clean freshwater and wiping down your reel after each session, and when you get back home, to do a more thorough breakdown and service.

I'd do the same with your rod too, even if it has stainless guides. Stainless can rust too - just not as easily as conventional steel.

wnyBob
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by wnyBob » Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:43 am

You didn't say which model St. Croix travel rod you have, but unless I'm underestimating it's lure weight ratings a 4000 reel may be an over kill for it. The sedonas and Saharas are decent reels (for the money price break) but it's always easy for someone else to spend your money for you. lol You said $100. range. If you could up your ante just a little you may want to take a look at a Penn Slammer. $139.00. At face look it may not appear to be any better reel than a sedona or sahara but it is a tried and true salt reel in a good price range when the sedonas and saharas arn't necessarily salt reels. In a salt environment, you could go through a couple of the inexpensive shamanos verses the Slammer would be there for you year after year for salt vacations with just a rinse off after use. For that rod you could probably get away with a Slammer 260. a 360 at the most.

Hulkster
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hulkster » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:49 pm

thanks for the suggestions. I will look into the penns and quantums.