2 speed reels

Discussions focused on the pursuit of saltwater species
GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: 2 speed reels

Post by GARRIGA » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:12 pm

The best success I have at keeping a fish from throwing a hook, regardless if fresh or salt, is where I keep a steady crank with minimal rod use to eliminate that temporary gap that causes line slack. Perhaps a low crank reel can pull a bass through the grass better then elevating it out with the rod. I have zero experience pulling a bass out of the matt but lots with towing in bass in grass or around structure and plenty more offshore and specially with tug happy grouper. Maybe when I start doing it this summer I'll have a new perspective.

As for the weight issue, I've found myself looking for lighter reels and yet keep going back to something that balances versus what it weights overall. Love the longer 8 ft rods and anything under 8 oz creates too tip heavy a rod for my likings.

The Tiburon increases drag as line pressure increases and perhaps one day we'll see a small enough version that will be seen as beneficial by bass anglers. Imagine a reel from cranks to worms with the guts to pull any fish out of anything situation. :)

Reel Old Geezer
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Post by Reel Old Geezer » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:36 am

The Tiburon increases drag as line pressure increases and perhaps one day we'll see a small enough version that will be seen as beneficial by bass anglers. Imagine a reel from cranks to worms with the guts to pull any fish out of anything situation.
It's already sort of been tried. The aforementioned Shimano Beastmaster series of reels (specifically the VR model) had what they called a "Power Drag". The fisherman set his preferred drag while in 6:1 gear mode, and if you needed more power the reel was shifted to 4:1 gear ratio and the drag automatically increased by 50%. It apparently didn't go over for the BeastMaster VR was only cataloged in 1990-91.

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:24 am

Reel Old Geezer wrote:
The Tiburon increases drag as line pressure increases and perhaps one day we'll see a small enough version that will be seen as beneficial by bass anglers. Imagine a reel from cranks to worms with the guts to pull any fish out of anything situation.
It's already sort of been tried. The aforementioned Shimano Beastmaster series of reels (specifically the VR model) had what they called a "Power Drag". The fisherman set his preferred drag while in 6:1 gear mode, and if you needed more power the reel was shifted to 4:1 gear ratio and the drag automatically increased by 50%. It apparently didn't go over for the BeastMaster VR was only cataloged in 1990-91.
Is it possible it was ahead of its time and why it didn't last? At 9.7 oz and 6:1/4:1 ratio it would be similar in weight to some of the better offerings from Shinano today. Assuming the gear shift worked as advertised and it came with all the goodies, I'd buy one. Except for offshore guys I doubt many bass fisherman would have ever seen the benefit but now with the Internet and all the fishing shows on TV it may be more widely accepted? Then again, Shimano thinks there aren't enough lefties to justify increase in offerings to that market segment. I believe the T Wing had been done before and aside from the issues related to place of origin it seems to be a hit the second time around.