Salmon fishing on 7/20/03

Discussions focused on the pursuit of saltwater species
seasicknes
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Salmon fishing on 7/20/03

Post by seasicknes » Mon Jul 21, 2003 10:17 am

The sea conditions were iffy on saturday and decided to walk the dock and talk to some of the guys. I saw a party boat come in with hugh stripers. They were bait fishing along the coast.

I called up another buddy that went out for salmon. He said the salmon were biting everything in site. But, he was complaining about the size of the fish being kind of small (24"-26"). Then I talked to another buddy that went to the same area and also the same complaint. They were both down at S buoy on Saturday.

So later that night I looked at my chart. I decided to go to N buoy. Just the opposite way of S buoy. This is all depending on sea conditions. The weather man kept on changing the conditions from small craft warning to ok. So this cause me some concern since he could not make up his/her mind up.

Seas were lumpy in the morning and very fishable. Just the big swell to deal with.
Trolled with watermelon apex and also any variety of bait holding rig in all colors.
Ocean color was DARK.
Limits: 1 @ 38 pounds, 2 @ 30 pounds, and 1 @ 15 pounds.
Done in 30 minutes and headed back to dock to clean the boat and get back to bed.

Looks like I'll be smoking some fish very soon.

Ken (17' whaler / 22' hydrasport wa)