Hilton Head South Carolina in May, Redfish?

Discussions focused on the pursuit of saltwater species
zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Hilton Head South Carolina in May, Redfish?

Post by zodiak311 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:52 pm

Hi TT,
I will be heading out to Hilton Head, SC In May. I will have one day: May 1st to do some fishing, and want to make the most of it. I am thinking about maybe inshore fishing for Redfish? Any advice, tips, and tackle I should bring? I am also looking for a local guide as well.
I remembered I had gathered some info from some of you, but after the "crash" I lost all of it. Thanks!
Get your kids hooked on fishing, and they'll never have any money for drugs or alcohol.

wnyBob
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Hilton Head South Carolina in May, Redfish?

Post by wnyBob » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:33 am

zodiak311 wrote:Hi TT,
I will be heading out to Hilton Head, SC In May. I will have one day: May 1st to do some fishing, and want to make the most of it. I am thinking about maybe inshore fishing for Redfish? Any advice, tips, and tackle I should bring? I am also looking for a local guide as well.
I remembered I had gathered some info from some of you, but after the "crash" I lost all of it. Thanks!
Howdy,

ah ha the "crash". I had a post on this saltwater board with come tips from a few months ago that vanished. It looks like I even lost all my posts since when I had to re-register I went back to newbe and lost my exulted status of maybe one step above. lol oh well.

I'm currently a few hours south of Hilton Head in NE Fla right on the GA boarder, so fishing should be somewhat similar. this was my first trip for trying a little saltwater fishing, I'm wintering a couple of months from the deep freeze north. and my friend that was also supposed to be here for a month with experience couldn't come so I have been on my own learning as I go. If you only have a day and decide not to spring for a local guide, (about $350.00 or so) ask around and see if you can find access to a tidal creek/marsh for the reds. I did have the luxury of time of visiting some local tackle shops and just walking up to guys fishing and checking out how they're rigging terminal tackle and baits, both inshore and surf before I broke out the gear and sucked it up and went alone. I was just guessing more or less when I took gear with me. I took one outfit for inshore and another surf outfit.

The first few times I just went out observing and asking guys, they were fishing for reds in a tidal creek, and I was thinking I'm going to be way over rodded, if that's a word. lol Most of them were using just fairly light tackle, maybe what you'd think of for big bass, Med rods, spinning reels that didnt look that big. Guys were catching a bunch of maybe up to 18" reds and their gear was working fine. Live or frozen whole shrimp btw. I had taken an inshore rod 7' 9" rated up to 1 oz lure which is a pretty stout rod but with a F action and a penn slammer 360 which my guess probably rates with a 3000 or so numbering system on other reels. I just wanted to cover all my bases with one rod and reel. Anyway, when I finally ventured out alone, I was glad I had my gear. On a couple of outings I latched on to a couple of awesome huge reds. Made my day. And the big ones have a huge front girth and powerful tail and weigh a ton and they promptly take your hook and head for the oyster beds and or marsh grass. I never lost one because I had the gear to muscle them out. I used 15# fireline which strength wise is probably 20# mono but with much smaller dia. On subsequent talks with some of the locals, they admitted what they forgot to tell me was that they will lose the big ones on their lighter tackle when the reds head for cover or the oyster beds, they cut your line.

Anyway for one day inshore, look for a tidal creek, you don't want high tide or low tide but about half way in or out. Guys will say going out is better but sometimes you can't be choosy. And take something that will handle a big one if you latch on to one. Maybe an overkill for small ones but worth it for a big one.

They're saying here the reds slack off when the water warms up some more, but you may be far enough north to extend that season into May.

My big surf day wasn't all that exciting. The fish they call whitings here were starting to bite. A couple of guys I was with were keeping them because they're supposed to be good eating. But they're small so not much of a battle on a big surf rod, like catching a 8" perch on a musky rod lol. on a couple of my observation days checking guys out, I watched some guys catch some rays. lol That was more exciting than the little whitings, unless you're going to eat them. Handle the rays gingerly lol. Saw a guy catch abut a foot long shark. I guess the big black drum that can go up to 40 lbs don't come into until later.

Have fun.

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:09 pm

wnyBob wrote:
Howdy,

ah ha the "crash". I had a post on this saltwater board with come tips from a few months ago that vanished. It looks like I even lost all my posts since when I had to re-register I went back to newbe and lost my exulted status of maybe one step above. lol oh well.

I'm currently a few hours south of Hilton Head in NE Fla right on the GA boarder, so fishing should be somewhat similar. this was my first trip for trying a little saltwater fishing, I'm wintering a couple of months from the deep freeze north. and my friend that was also supposed to be here for a month with experience couldn't come so I have been on my own learning as I go. If you only have a day and decide not to spring for a local guide, (about $350.00 or so) ask around and see if you can find access to a tidal creek/marsh for the reds. I did have the luxury of time of visiting some local tackle shops and just walking up to guys fishing and checking out how they're rigging terminal tackle and baits, both inshore and surf before I broke out the gear and sucked it up and went alone. I was just guessing more or less when I took gear with me. I took one outfit for inshore and another surf outfit.

The first few times I just went out observing and asking guys, they were fishing for reds in a tidal creek, and I was thinking I'm going to be way over rodded, if that's a word. lol Most of them were using just fairly light tackle, maybe what you'd think of for big bass, Med rods, spinning reels that didnt look that big. Guys were catching a bunch of maybe up to 18" reds and their gear was working fine. Live or frozen whole shrimp btw. I had taken an inshore rod 7' 9" rated up to 1 oz lure which is a pretty stout rod but with a F action and a penn slammer 360 which my guess probably rates with a 3000 or so numbering system on other reels. I just wanted to cover all my bases with one rod and reel. Anyway, when I finally ventured out alone, I was glad I had my gear. On a couple of outings I latched on to a couple of awesome huge reds. Made my day. And the big ones have a huge front girth and powerful tail and weigh a ton and they promptly take your hook and head for the oyster beds and or marsh grass. I never lost one because I had the gear to muscle them out. I used 15# fireline which strength wise is probably 20# mono but with much smaller dia. On subsequent talks with some of the locals, they admitted what they forgot to tell me was that they will lose the big ones on their lighter tackle when the reds head for cover or the oyster beds, they cut your line.

Anyway for one day inshore, look for a tidal creek, you don't want high tide or low tide but about half way in or out. Guys will say going out is better but sometimes you can't be choosy. And take something that will handle a big one if you latch on to one. Maybe an overkill for small ones but worth it for a big one.

They're saying here the reds slack off when the water warms up some more, but you may be far enough north to extend that season into May.

My big surf day wasn't all that exciting. The fish they call whitings here were starting to bite. A couple of guys I was with were keeping them because they're supposed to be good eating. But they're small so not much of a battle on a big surf rod, like catching a 8" perch on a musky rod lol. on a couple of my observation days checking guys out, I watched some guys catch some rays. lol That was more exciting than the little whitings, unless you're going to eat them. Handle the rays gingerly lol. Saw a guy catch abut a foot long shark. I guess the big black drum that can go up to 40 lbs don't come into until later.

Have fun.
Thanks for the reply Bob. :big grin: A lot of good advice there. I am actually going to hire a guide since my fishing time is soo limited. What time of the day did you go out for the Reds? Or is it all dependent on the tides?
Get your kids hooked on fishing, and they'll never have any money for drugs or alcohol.

wnyBob
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by wnyBob » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:37 am

Thanks for the reply Bob. :big grin: A lot of good advice there. I am actually going to hire a guide since my fishing time is soo limited. What time of the day did you go out for the Reds? Or is it all dependent on the tides?
A guide would be a good choice when you're time is so limited. There are a gazillion here to choose from, so I'm sure Hilton Head will be the same. and they all claim either in person or in their ads to get you on fish. What are they going to say "I suck as a guide"? lol Nearly all that I saw also provide tackle and bait too which saves brging your own for just one day. Actually I wanted to do at least one this year but just never got around to it. Actually a long range plan for me would be to do a few guides to get to know the waters then explore boat rentals in the future. They say it's a BAD idea to try going out on your own when you don't know the area, the tidal river, creeks and marshes are a maze and you get caught in low tide you're cooked. I will next year for sure. We have to head back to the freezing north this week. The definite advantage is them knowing the waters and get you to good schooling spots depending on time of day, water level, etc. And also more kinds of fish besides reds. If it's reds you want, it's reds they'll start out after though. But there are supposedly sheepshead good for a fight, and flounder beds, etc.

In answer to your question, it is all depending on the tide which changes daily and by the end of a week the highs and lows can be totally flipped time wise. I'm sure the guides and experienced fishermen also have a preference on time of day that is in combination with the tide for ideal conditions. But sometimes you just can't be choosey to wheather you're riding the incoming tide our outgoing and when that happens. The guides here are all in the $300.00+ range for half a day. Which is do-able even as a single if you have some fun and catch some fish.

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:53 pm

wnyBob wrote:
A guide would be a good choice when you're time is so limited. There are a gazillion here to choose from, so I'm sure Hilton Head will be the same. and they all claim either in person or in their ads to get you on fish. What are they going to say "I suck as a guide"? lol Nearly all that I saw also provide tackle and bait too which saves brging your own for just one day. Actually I wanted to do at least one this year but just never got around to it. Actually a long range plan for me would be to do a few guides to get to know the waters then explore boat rentals in the future. They say it's a BAD idea to try going out on your own when you don't know the area, the tidal river, creeks and marshes are a maze and you get caught in low tide you're cooked. I will next year for sure. We have to head back to the freezing north this week. The definite advantage is them knowing the waters and get you to good schooling spots depending on time of day, water level, etc. And also more kinds of fish besides reds. If it's reds you want, it's reds they'll start out after though. But there are supposedly sheepshead good for a fight, and flounder beds, etc.
In answer to your question, it is all depending on the tide which changes daily and by the end of a week the highs and lows can be totally flipped time wise. I'm sure the guides and experienced fishermen also have a preference on time of day that is in combination with the tide for ideal conditions. But sometimes you just can't be choosey to wheather you're riding the incoming tide our outgoing and when that happens. The guides here are all in the $300.00+ range for half a day. Which is do-able even as a single if you have some fun and catch some fish.
Thanks for the info. I figured that since my time is so limited, I might as well pony up and not play any guessing games as to where the fish are at. There are just so many guides there that I get dizzy from looking at all of them. Do you think that half a day of fishing is enough, or would you go for a full day? Afterward, I will be heading to my in laws place in Glennville, GA. Its a small little town, but big fat LM bass, in small little ponds, and no fishing pressure all over the place. =P~ =P~ =P~

wnyBob
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by wnyBob » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:54 am

Thanks for the info. I figured that since my time is so limited, I might as well pony up and not play any guessing games as to where the fish are at. There are just so many guides there that I get dizzy from looking at all of them. Do you think that half a day of fishing is enough, or would you go for a full day? Afterward, I will be heading to my in laws place in Glennville, GA. Its a small little town, but big fat LM bass, in small little ponds, and no fishing pressure all over the place. =P~ =P~ =P~
That's the way the guides are here too. everywhere. It is confusing. I was always thinking half days, even though I never got around to it. Just because I didn't know what I was getting into and also couldn't control the weather or conditions when you set up the appointment in advance. But when you're trying to get it all done in a day that changes that thought though. Just depends on what you're up for. It could be really nice or it could be stinking hot, or like today with thunder boomers rolling through every hour.

I looked up Glennville. That's probably only a couple of hours North of where we're at. Fernandina Beach, Amelia Island, FL. And I've heard there are killer bass just a little inland from here too. I'd like to get in on some of that big Southern Bass action sometime too when we're here next year. But that'll be a whole other learning curve finding where to go and how to get at them. That would probably require a guide for a couple of times to check it out too for me. I'm not thrilled with the idea of walking up to the shore of some creek or lake alone and walking on a snake or gator. lol No snakes or gators where we live up north, the biggest fishing hazard is worrying about musky teeth or puncturing yourself with a hook. lol I haven't touched the tip of the ice berg on my salt water experience yet here so that should keep me busy to next year. We leave tomorrow for the snow country. sadly. But I can look forward to getting my boat out of storage and getting ready for our own bass and musky in a couple of months,maybe some crappy by May. Just talked to one of my fishing buddies at home the the lake we fish is still iced over.

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:16 pm

wnyBob wrote:
That's the way the guides are here too. everywhere. It is confusing. I was always thinking half days, even though I never got around to it. Just because I didn't know what I was getting into and also couldn't control the weather or conditions when you set up the appointment in advance. But when you're trying to get it all done in a day that changes that thought though. Just depends on what you're up for. It could be really nice or it could be stinking hot, or like today with thunder boomers rolling through every hour.

I looked up Glennville. That's probably only a couple of hours North of where we're at. Fernandina Beach, Amelia Island, FL. And I've heard there are killer bass just a little inland from here too. I'd like to get in on some of that big Southern Bass action sometime too when we're here next year. But that'll be a whole other learning curve finding where to go and how to get at them. That would probably require a guide for a couple of times to check it out too for me. I'm not thrilled with the idea of walking up to the shore of some creek or lake alone and walking on a snake or gator. lol No snakes or gators where we live up north, the biggest fishing hazard is worrying about musky teeth or puncturing yourself with a hook. lol I haven't touched the tip of the ice berg on my salt water experience yet here so that should keep me busy to next year. We leave tomorrow for the snow country. sadly. But I can look forward to getting my boat out of storage and getting ready for our own bass and musky in a couple of months,maybe some crappy by May. Just talked to one of my fishing buddies at home the the lake we fish is still iced over.
So how was the snow country? The farm ponds in Glennville are ridiculous. And yes, you do have to be careful of snakes, rattlesnakes, water moccasins, gators, etc... Heck, I even heard about panthers at night... being from the city that makes me pretty nervous 8-[ But the night fishing is so sweet that I can't help myself, as long as you put on a bunch of bug spray.
I have been doing some research on some local guides in Hilton Head, have you heard of a place called Palmetto Lagoon? Byron Velvick went out there before, on an ESPN Going Coastal Episode. It is a lagoon right on the island that is closed off from everything else except incoming tubes, and only trolling motors are allowed in the area. http://www.palmettolagooncharters.com/ It seems that all the Redfish there are planted, which equates to some awesome fishing since there is only one guide service that is allowed to fish there. I am just not sure if I want to fish for them in a closed environment rather than inshore?

wnyBob
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by wnyBob » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:48 pm

zodiak, did you ever end up getting your charter and run into any fish??

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:35 am

wnyBob wrote:
zodiak, did you ever end up getting your charter and run into any fish??
Yes, I went with Palmetto Lagoon Charters. The fishery was amazing! My wife and I both caught Sea Trout, and some massive Redfish. Largest on was 23lbs. All fish were caught on "Manhaven" I think that's how you spell it...
The fish in the lagoons are extremely picky, and weren't even looking at our artificials.
The best fighter I caught fought me for about 2 minutes, and was about 13lbs. Seems that the mid size fish fight the hardest.
I was extremely impressed by the Sea Trout, and how hard they fought, pleasantly surprised. The fact that even my wife got excited while catching fish made it all worthwhile! :big grin:

15 Redfish, and 3 Sea Trout

Redfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Redfish » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:49 pm

Sounds like an awesome trip! Gotta love that inshore fishing!
[url=http://www.yakangler.com][img]http://www.yakangler.com/images/stories/banners/YakAngler_Sunrise.png[/img][/url]