mediterranean sea

Discussions focused on the pursuit of saltwater species
fish2light
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

mediterranean sea

Post by fish2light » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:28 am

Hey guys,

I'm planing on a Trip to mediterranean sea Alexandria Egypt side. So far I have not been lucky to find what kind of fish live their. I tryed to look up on google but can't find anything. Here's what I need to know from inshore:

1 what kind of rod?

2 What kind of reel?

3 Line

4 Lure?

Thanks everyone

huggybear
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Re: mediterranean sea

Post by huggybear » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:09 am

I feel your pain man. There is hardly any info out there, in English anyway. I'm off to the south of France(same water but the other side of the sea) on Friday and I'm still not 100% sure what to fish for in area. It looks like what ever fish are in the east Atlantic are probably also in the med. I am bringing an Ocean master 3 piece 7ft medium rod. Abu Garcia C4 with 65lb power pro braid and a variety of different weight flurocarbon leaders from 6lb up to 80lb. I have hooks from size 6 up to 10/0 in different styles. As well as a wide assortment of jigs. I picked up a wide variety of saltwater themed soft plastics. I've also packed some larger spoons, a handful of jerk and crank baits, some swim baits and a few big top water poppers. I've probably got everything I need covered except live bait that I'll buy locally or catch. My first priority after getting to the villa I rented will be to find a local tackle shop and get some local knowledge. And hopefully find a place that rents boats!!! I don't want to spend the entire 3 weeks shore fishing.

I've probably gone overboard on what tackle I'm bringing. I've only fished saltwater a few times and everything was provided. I'd rather be safe then sorry. But I think you could get away with just a rod and spooled reel. Bring an assortment of hooks and jigs and buy the rest locally. I have a feeling that with all the stuff I am bringing I'll end up using bait hooks and live bait more than anything.

Good luck. If you haven't already left yet. :)

fish2light
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fish2light » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:48 am

thank you that helps :)

facelessnewsouth
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by facelessnewsouth » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:23 am

Not sure about inshore, but I've met a couple of Italian guys who jig deep for grouper in the mediterranean. They use mostly shimano gear, travala rods, power pro 100 lb red braid, with yozuri flouro leaders in a pink color...they have some videos on you tube, not sure of the exact names, but searching for "grouper in the mediterranean" should bring something up.